Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Before the engine swap and the AlfaBoater incident the car was perfect.
Now when I did the engine swap, I swapped everything from my old engine onto the new PH2 engine I bought, except one thing..

There was a wire which came from behind the timing wheels/timing belts.
I didnt have a clue how to get what ever it was (a sensor maybe) out and swap it with the one off of my old engine because the plastic connections/plugs are different.
Sooo, I did the old chop, swap, strip, solder and heat shrink...
All the wire colours were the same so I gathered that it would be ok, but since the new engine like iv said in another post, iv got my injector light on constant and the car isnt running as smooth as it should, when u put your foot down it thinks about it then eventually throws u back in your seat..!
This is the only mod/thing i havent swapped from the other engine.

What im wanting to know if this is a sensor or something which I should have swapped from my other engine?? Could this be causing the problems in having?

I took it to a garage the other day and they dont have a lead to do the diagnostics either :( !

So im just trying the old process of elimination..

Could what ever that thing is behing the timing belt not be compatible with my ecu??

Im going to try putting the injectors from the PH2 ancilaries in this aft to see what difference it makes, might as well try it for nothing!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The camshaft sensor is behind the exhaust pulley.

I'm surprised the engine is running at all without it...

It is needed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is connected, like I said tho, I swapped the connectors round, not the sensors, I just want to know if it is a different sensor on the PH2 engine to the PH1 enigne...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Nope, it's the same sensor, but if the ring on the back of the exhaust cam pulley is damaged then it would cause a problem with the timing, though it will run, it'll be lumpy as hell if your lucky.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If it will run you could try C.W Lear in Keighley not too far away. IIRC he charged me £25 for diagnostics.(but wouldnt swear to it)
Very good Alfa Indy full of useful advice as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been to Just Alfa Spares in Liverpool this morning to pick up a few bits.. (ecu, sideskirts, headlights)

They were telling me the reason for it running lumpy is because when you put a CF2 engine into a CF1 car you need to swap the exhaust cam pully and sensor (the sensor behind the timing belts/pully).
Apparently the pully on the CF2 engine has 4 magnets/pickup notches on it and the one on the CF1 engine has 1 magnet/notch on it... So as a result, the car is overfueling, which explains why im only getting 95 miles to £30 !!
They said they were surprised it was running at all!!

They tried it on the diagnostics while I was there and it wouldnt read from the ecu which didnt surprise me! Thing is iv got my old ecu back in because my new one got water damaged with stream incident! But one of the reasons I was going down there was to get a new ecu from them anyway because the rev counter doesnt work on this ecu, so im going to swap the cam pully over from my old engine and swap the ecu's tomorrow so il let you know how it goes! Fingers crossed its nothing else!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I swapped the exhaust pully and sensor today, engine now runs sweet!! No spluttering at all, nice and smooth!!

All the problems because of that!! So Simple!!

Well guys, now you know that you need to change this pully wheel aswel as all the other sensors on the engine if your doing a CF2 to CF1 conversion!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts