Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a weird one this, and i am probably going to regret asking. Recently i have noticed while driving at night, when it is really cold (2.0 degrees and cooler) my headlights are acting strangely when i use main beam.

So my headlights are on as normal, all foglights are off and the dashboard snowflake is on. I push the stick to go onto mainbeam and all the lights switch off for a split second then the main beam lamps come on. The odd thing is, ALL OTHER lights are off so it gives me a patch of darkness immediatly infront of the car and only the distance is illuminated.

Last night when it happened, i turned off main beam, turned on the foglights, switched them off again and put main beam back on and it was working properly again.

I am having no other problems and the car appears to be electronically perfect (touches wood).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
No that is not right.
Dip beam should stay on when main beam is on.

Could be a weird 147 body computer issue...

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Could be.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did it only once last night, i think i hear 2 relays acting when that happens (normal lamps off?) Could it be a dodgy earth?

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bit of a weird one this, and i am probably going to regret asking. Recently i have noticed while driving at night, when it is really cold (2.0 degrees and cooler) my headlights are acting strangely when i use main beam.

So my headlights are on as normal, all foglights are off and the dashboard snowflake is on. I push the stick to go onto mainbeam and all the lights switch off for a split second then the main beam lamps come on. The odd thing is, ALL OTHER lights are off so it gives me a patch of darkness immediatly infront of the car and only the distance is illuminated.

Last night when it happened, i turned off main beam, turned on the foglights, switched them off again and put main beam back on and it was working properly again.

I am having no other problems and the car appears to be electronically perfect (touches wood).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers.

I see what you did there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does sound like a relay type problem. Usually there is one relay for activating main beam and another for dip, the should work in sequence. Might sound daft, but if it is very cold and a little bit of water has managed to get inside the rely housing, may just be 'slowing' down what should be a seamless change. Find them in the handbook, take out and check for any water ingress. Might be worth a spray of WD40 or contact water dispellant on the relay box connectors as well.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery is good.

I do suspect the relay as i often hear it when i shouldn't. When everything is working properly there is no noise between main beem and dipped. I only hear the click if the dipped bulbs go out. Also, sometimes i hear a "double click" when i dip the lights.

Cheers for the replies.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Closing update. I have fixed it. Seems like i had a bad connection on one of the foglight bulbs. Noticed my passenger side foglight was not working but i had no dashboard alerts. I was about to replace the bulb when i decided to do the classic italian car faulty light fix (i hit the light) and it came straight back on. My Main beam lights have been perfect ever since.

Cheapest repair ever :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts