Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to be able to read and interpret the various fault codes generated by both the above vehicles's electronics, and would appreciate any help with this, as I'm not too familiar with the tech- and termi- nology used. I am hoping that one piece of software is available to cover both cars, but am not sure about lead/s required.

From my searches so far it appears that my 166 2.0TS (2001) uses OBD2, but I'm not sure whether the 156 also uses that protocol.

I've been looking at downloading the free Alfadiag software mentioned in various posts, but the alfadiag.net site appears to have gone down - it just directs you to lots of other sites.

Fiatecuscan has been recommended on this forum, but I can't find where to download it.

Apparently the 156 1.9jdtm (2005) has the EDC16C39 ecu.

Can anyone advise me what I need, in terms of leads and software, to achieve my objective, please? Lowest cost preferred, provided it works!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
MultiECUscan will work

But if they're both E-OBD (which they probably are) then your smartphone will connect with the right bits (Torque app for android, plus ELM327 bluetooth dongle)

·
Registered
30,017 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Alfa is EOBD and a 16 pin to USB connector is needed + the software mentioned by David in previous post will do the job !
PM me for a modified and tested cable

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - but I'm puzzled as to what exactly the download is, as the site says:-

"Project Description

DnEcuDiag is an application framework for developing electronic control unit diagnostic functionality without the need to implement code

Electronic control units are defined as an XML metadata file which is added to the application and loaded at runtime

Last edited Jan 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM by dgoslin, version 8"

It doesn't sound like the full diagnostic tool itself. Could you confirm this is the correct item I need, please?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts