Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have close connections with the car trade through some interests and friends.

My friends own a bodyshop and have recently strated doing work for a local trader with a reasonable sized place selling new'ish cars ranging from fiestas up to 911's etc and commercial stuff like vans, etc.

They are doing bodywork on 6-8 cars and vans a week from this one trader at the moment, along with their other customers and are strugling to keep up. If they could do 15 a week the trader would give it to them.

Every one else seems to think the car trade is dead!

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
Someone I know who deals cars says that he is having trouble finding good used stock to sell at reasonable prices.

So much for it being a buyers market :rolleyes:

Private punters are buying up good used stock (from auction and privately) instead of buying new cars from dealers.

Of course the situation will get worse due to the lower numbers of new cars being sold. Less new cars being sold means less used cars a few weeks down the road.

K

·
0 Posts
Someone I know who deals cars says that he is having trouble finding good used stock to sell at reasonable prices.

Private punters are buying up good used stock (from auction and privately) instead of buying new cars from dealers.

Of course the situation will get worse due to the lower numbers of new cars being sold. Less new cars being sold means less used cars a few weeks down the road.
My neighbour has been selling cars for 40 years. He's semi-retired these days and sells a few from home. His supplies are swappers from a few local dealers and he reckons he can't buy anything decent. The only stuff he's being offered is either as tatty as hell or has intergalactic mileage.

I was out last weekend looking at cars with a mate and there still plenty of dealers out there trying to punt over-priced rubbish.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
A lot depends on what level of the market you're in........for example there are plenty of cars over 7-8 years old for very little money - yet still with many years useful life in them - but the collapse in new-car buying means that not much 2-3 year old stock has been traded into the main dealers, so that's in short supply - and if people can't find good cars of that age, they maybe they stick with what they've got....so there aren't so many 5-6 year-old cars in the market, either.....

D

·
0 Posts
I'd say it isn't dead, just simmering, it will bounce back with a vengeance within a year, but at the moment everyone is being VERY careful.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The prices have jumped back up to Aug/Sep 08 rates again imo.

My Trevor is worth nearly 2k more than it was in August!

Same with GT's e.t.c, they got silly cheap for a while and now fetching strong money again. If you look at auction results, the prices being reached are often higher than book, because there is such a shortage of decent/desirable cars.

D

·
0 Posts
The prices have jumped back up to Aug/Sep 08 rates again imo.

My Trevor is worth nearly 2k more than it was in August!
That's true actually, I'm always interested in TVR prices as I want to get myself a Cerby at some point, and they are creeping back up again, :thumbs:

What engine have you got in yours mate? The 4 Litre Rover V8? Or one of the newer 4.2 etc ones?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's true actually, I'm always interested in TVR prices as I want to get myself a Cerby at some point, and they are creeping back up again, :thumbs:

What engine have you got in yours mate? The 4 Litre Rover V8? Or one of the newer 4.2 etc ones?
The Chimaera's use the modified Rover V8's (which was actually based on a Buick 215 unit) but with various power outputs, I have the base 4.0 which still gives you plenty to worry about in the wet :D:lol: and has a 0-60 of 4.7 seconds, doesn't stop me urging for the 5.0 though :rolleyes:

The 4.2/4.5 AJP (found in the Cerberas) based engines are a TVR/Al Melling design with serious output but also unfortunately serious problems, the same goes for the Speed Six which is the later design (Tuscan/Sagaris), but again rebuilds every 15k aren't uncommon.

Otherwise I think a Tuscan would be nestled happily on my drive right now :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A good mate of mine has a Vauxhall main dealer, selling new and very recent stuff (obviously). He says business is good with no problems shifting anything. As for the high performance end of the market, I look at Porsche 911 (996) prices all the time and, after the fire sale around Christmas and the early part of 2009, prices are most definitely on the increase.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Local BM dealer says used car sales are buoyant, just new car sales they are struggling with. I think a lot more people are buying approved used these days rather than going for new, nobody wants to lose a lot on depreciation in an uncertain world.

·
Registered
225 Posts
it seems dead to me... I cant sell my car and have been trying for weeks!! people who work in the trade are obvioulsy going to talk up the market though

·
Banned
1,823 Posts

Was told exactly the same by a local (Ford) dealer on Monday.

Apparently in terms of new cars they are actually doing very well, on Ka's, Fiesta's & Foci but they haven't shifted a Mondeo in over 2 months as no one wants a big cars at the mo!

At the time i was looking at a 08 Saab 93 1.9TiD with 18k Leather and all the electrical Gizmo's, 18" alloys, bodykit etc going for £13k. I haven't really checked into the pricing but i thought that was outstanding as the car was factory fresh looking.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have two friends who have had exactly that same model Saab from new (one 07, the other 08), both have had endless trouble with the electrics in all sorts of ways.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like everything - good desirable examples will always sell...if you don't look after your car then either sell cheap or don't sell.

D

·
0 Posts
I have two friends who have had exactly that same model Saab from new (one 07, the other 08), both have had endless trouble with the electrics in all sorts of ways.
What's that got to do with the price of fish? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts