·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening gang,

I saw this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xi5l86JP4I

Not sure whether it's just a concept or scheduled for production, but I quite like it even though I'm not that keen on the principle of re-heating a former design. Seems to remind me more of the current Fat 500 rather than the R4, but anyway, it would be quite good to see this on the road :biglaugh:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
link is fine, don't worry :) i've just been looking at his other cars, too - impressive stuff!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I had a '75 R4 as one of my first cars in the eighties, in many ways it was a better design than the vaunted 2CV (and I think it sold a lot more) so as an example of a basic motoring it could be good to see. I gather the citroen cactus has been a sales success and that's an interesting design so I think that's the pattern they are following. I do hope they keep the dashboard gear lever, I used to be able to change from 3rd to 4th with fingertips without taking a hand off the wheel.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to be able to change from 3rd to 4th with fingertips without taking a hand off the wheel.
That does indeed sound quite neat! :)

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,571 Posts
I used to be able to change from 3rd to 4th with fingertips without taking a hand off the wheel.
Early form of flappy paddles?

Reactions: Scudetto

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Is the Reenault 4 to return?

I hope not :lol:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Early form of flappy paddles?
More like floppy paddles, the gearchange was incredibly vague as the gearlever was effectively a 4ft long rod with a joint in the middle. It was rusted like hell after about 8 years life IIRC. And I'm grateful I never crashed it, as it would have crumpled like an origami model.

So while some of the memories may be nicely rose tinted we should recognise that generally speaking modern designs are faster, more comfortable, lower cost, safer and more economical. If it does come about then it has to work in a contemporary market. If it worked for FIAT with the 500 then by all means Renault are welcome to have a go too.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
judging by that vid Nev, I think we've just cracked the problem of what your next company car should be :thumbup:

Reactions: TheGrimJeeper

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have owned in the past, 3 x Renault 4's and 1 x Citroen Dyane. The R4's were infinitely more comfortable and speedier (if you can use that word for either of those 2 cars). I loved the push pull gear stick too. However the Dyane would lean over at 45 degrees when cornering,:biglaugh: but not sure about the Renaults capabilities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts