Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
32,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
That may well make it a classic ?

There don't seem to be any classics with non-curvy styling....

V

·
0 Posts
Anyway after finding out its basically a 156gta underneath I was sold. I can now see why most people think it's a beautiful car and I am completely blinkered in the fact that there's hardly anything I see on the roads today that I'd prefer.
It's no more a GTA underneath than a standard 156 or a 147. Unless you get the 3.2 V6, which - just like a GTA - has the longitudinal strengthening steel plates underneath at the front end on which the front suspension mounts (and slightly alters the geometry, I believe?)

·
Registered
526 Posts
It's no more a GTA underneath than a standard 156 or a 147. Unless you get the 3.2 V6, which - just like a GTA - has the longitudinal strengthening steel plates underneath at the front end on which the front suspension mounts (and slightly alters the geometry, I believe?)
Ah, but I have v6 :p

no offence to the diesel owners, who many on here have made their cars quicker than the v6, but without the v6 I wouldn't be driving a gt. I would be in a gta...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I priced up a couple of what I'd consider half decent cars. In essence anything other than [green] cars less than about 100g/km CO2 it's not really worth it.
I priced up an A5 (two door) 2.0TDi. It was not cheap. These are only company cars in that you lease it via the company and you save tax and NI. However you then add company car tax which although less than the savings in tax and NI is not that much of a benefit on high emission cars.
It is a "fill with fuel" lease as even replacement tyres are included. However £685/mth is not my idea of cheap for such an 'Average Joe' type car. I did do that over two years as committing for three is too much and they get off on showing prices (the A180 for [email protected]£318) based on 6k/year and I need about 14k-16k
TBH I only enquired as my daughter is thinking about buying/leasing a new car and I can do it for her. There may well (if she decides to) be some mileage (pun intended) in that because it will be an 'eco' car with low emissions.
Christ, yes that is expensive. It sounds like you can opt out, so I'd do that, and get yourself another Alfa!

Your daughter may be rather fond of the mustard yellow 500 though ;)

V

·
0 Posts

no offence to the diesel owners, who many on here have made their cars quicker than the v6, but without the v6 I wouldn't be driving a gt. I would be in a gta...

Unless I'm going mad, you filled in the "Member car" bit of your profile page after I posted, didn't you? ;)

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
Christ, yes that is expensive. It sounds like you can opt out, so I'd do that, and get yourself another Alfa!

Your daughter may be rather fond of the mustard yellow 500 though ;)
I probably over complicated it :D. It's not a company car, it's a Salary Sacrifice car scheme open to all employees. However the tax man sees it as such.
Trust me, my daughter would not like the 500. She learned to drive in one and hates them all and rather passionately :D

None taken, given that if I did less miles I'd have a V6 :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I probably over complicated it :D. It's not a company car, it's a Salary Sacrifice car scheme open to all employees. However the tax man sees it as such.
Trust me, my daughter would not like the 500. She learned to drive in one and hates them all and rather passionately :D
I understand.

That's pretty unusual to hear of someone hating 500s, especially female. My Mum's 500 is a bit bouncy & noisy but I find it pretty infectious to drive, and they're rife out there, even in Oxfordshire which is usually home to a sea of BMWs and Audi's! Maybe she's after a GT ;)

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
I understand.

That's pretty unusual to hear of someone hating 500s, especially female. My Mum's 500 is a bit bouncy & noisy but I find it pretty infectious to drive, and they're rife out there, even in Oxfordshire which is usually home to a sea of BMWs and Audi's! Maybe she's after a GT ;)
My mum too :). I've been using it recently. I rather like it even if it is a little underpowered.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes the GT shows it's age now. But is this a bad thing?
GTV's aren't exactly brand new as we all know and people who are interested love my GTV. I never ever heard that it looks old or something.

Good looking cars can show their age because they can age with style.:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
^Good point^ Arguably any car that's more than five years old (and model style moved on to the next generation) can be considered 'dated' on this basis.

However what does 'dated' actually mean? For instance I understand any car with pop-up headlights is now dated, purely because it would be difficult if not impossible to incorporate that design today within NCAP, so yes pop-up headlights are dated because no car today has them (or none I know of).

Why is the GT dated though? Firstly I think it was quite a unique design as are many Alfa's, so what makes it dated?

I don't care whether it's considered dated or not, just how good it looks, and IMO it looks good but I am curious how you can look at the design and say "Yes, that was designed over ten years ago"?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My mum too :). I've been using it recently. I rather like it even if it is a little underpowered.
I had a 1.2 500 Pop last week as a courtesy car while the MiTo was having a service, and that got a bit frustrating. I think it was one of the dodgy 1.2's from last year as it was a 14 plate (like the ones that seem to be moaned about most) and it would rev crazily when trying to pull away from a junction, as well as needing absolutely thrashing on inclines. I'm sure the older 1.2's I've experienced in the 2004 Panda were much more perky. I think the basic Pop spec was worse than the engine though! :(

Thank God Mum's 500 is a TwinAir Lounge - that's a riot & will sit quite happily on the motorway with plenty of oomph in reserve. The extra kit on the Lounge (aircon, leather steering wheel Blue&Me, glass roof) really make a difference too.

^Good point^ Arguably any car that's more than five years old (and model style moved on to the next generation) can be considered 'dated' on this basis.

However what does 'dated' actually mean? For instance I understand any car with pop-up headlights is now dated, purely because it would be difficult if not impossible to incorporate that design today within NCAP, so yes pop-up headlights are dated because no car today has them (or none I know of).

Why is the GT dated though? Firstly I think it was quite a unique design as are many Alfa's, so what makes it dated?

I don't care whether it's considered dated or not, just how good it looks, and IMO it looks good but I am curious how you can look at the design and say "Yes, that was designed over ten years ago"?
I'd say the dated bits on the GT are:

*Rear tail lights (being frosted). Think that's already had a mention
*Crash test performance - don't think it was NCAP tested but the 147 is a bit like crashing in a carrier bag by todays standards
*CO2/Tax - even the diesels are expensive to tax by todays standards
*Cambelt intervals - needing a cambelt/waterpump every 3-4 years to prevent catastrophe put me off getting a 147. I suspect most GTs are the same.
*Ride - not an Alfa strong point even now, but the GTs should come with a free chiropractor appointment every month unless they've been modified with aftermarket parts.

The styling is a little bit angular by todays standards but I think the Audi A5 bears a resemblance from the side, so whether it looks dated is a matter for debate.

I still love the interior though. Possibly not as well bolted together inside as a current Alfa, but the materials feel so much better than the scratchy plastic in my MiTo. Overall it's just the running costs & crash safety which lets it down - 3-4 years & 36/40k miles for a cambelt wasn't really competitive at the time, and looks bonkers to most people now I should think. Likewise the tax costs and (147) NCAP rating weren't particularly good at launch, so look poor now.

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
Agreed in that it does not look dated. Whilst I agree about the tech and fund licence cost well to me that's a given because tech moves on.
My reference was on how it looks. Rear lights as you mention are dated.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Agreed in that it does not look dated. Whilst I agree about the tech and fund licence cost well to me that's a given because tech moves on.
My reference was on how it looks. Rear lights as you mention are dated.
Gotcha. In that case I can't really see a problem with it, as it doesn't 'look' particularly dated. Just the lights and perhaps some of the colour choices, ie white and black with big wheels look a million miles from a silver one with tiny alloys.

True re the running costs, everything moves on. It's just that things like CO2, crash strength & cambelt intervals weren't particularly competitive even at launch. Not sure if the costs side of things will put off many Alfa fans, but as an everyday car the crash result of the 147 made me sit up & take notice.

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
Gotcha. In that case I can't really see a problem with it, as it doesn't 'look' particularly dated. Just the lights and perhaps some of the colour choices, ie white and black with big wheels look a million miles from a silver one with tiny alloys.

True re the running costs, everything moves on. It's just that things like CO2, crash strength & cambelt intervals weren't particularly competitive even at launch. Not sure if the costs side of things will put off many Alfa fans, but as an everyday car the crash result of the 147 made me sit up & take notice.
I guess my car history has involved some old cars that I did many, many miles in and the crash tech was not that good for the time.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Agree with the interior, it does feel far more upmarket than the current stuff.
Its a classy place to be, maybe a sliver of (real ) wood in the door panels would have benefitted it, they also look great with the tan or red leather option :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I guess my car history has involved some old cars that I did many, many miles in and the crash tech was not that good for the time.
A few years ago I had a couple of cars that would've just folded in a crash (Mk1 Clio & Mk1 Punto) but since I've started doing lots of motorway miles the idea of something less than 4 stars just makes me nervous. However good or bad I drive, there's too many idiots out there. For an occasional/weekend car I'd chance it, but not for an everyday vehicle.

Its a classy place to be, maybe a sliver of (real ) wood in the door panels would have benefitted it, they also look great with the tan or red leather option :)
The leather on the GT (and 147) looks great. I loved the navy blue exterior with tan interior, even though the navy does look a bit old now. The bright blue with black leather or white with red or black leather still looks up to date though, especially with the Cloverleaf wheels :inlove:

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
A few years ago I had a couple of cars that would've just folded in a crash (Mk1 Clio & Mk1 Punto) but since I've started doing lots of motorway miles the idea of something less than 4 stars just makes me nervous. However good or bad I drive, there's too many idiots out there. For an occasional/weekend car I'd chance it, but not for an everyday vehicle.

The leather on the GT (and 147) looks great. I loved the navy blue exterior with tan interior, even though the navy does look a bit old now. The bright blue with black leather or white with red or black leather still looks up to date though, especially with the Cloverleaf wheels :inlove:
The leather interior on mine has been commented on, on more than one time. Added is the LiquidLeather air fresheners I use. Smells and look great :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Real wood is now very dated! Still love my Red with tan leather but I guess the tan is a bit 'classic' now. Parking in Sainsbury's I came back to the car looking at all the 'new' stuff and realising that mine is now nearly 10 years old. But in all honesty it was still the best looking car in the car park. New design is so lumpy and awkward and I require more refinement and elegance.
It is a design classic that will age gracefully unlike the A5's of this world which nobody will want to show off in 10 years.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts