Alfa Romeo Forum banner

361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think Alfa need to distance themselves significantly from Fiat and Jeep, with single brand Alfa Romeo dealerships. I am and would be put off that the basis of my Alfa is in use in other lesser brands! So I think that should be concealed as much as possible. Perhaps build on the Ferrari link and heritage but I feel that is also detrimental Alfa Romeo should be a premium brand that stands alone and on it own. Beautiful Italian styling, excellent and innovative engineering, unrivalled driving experience. Trouble is by the time they have done that the competition have done it and moved on and sadly Alfa do not have the cash to keep developing and so sales suffer, cash flow reduces and it becomes a downwards spiral. I honestly can't see a way out - Alfa will end up like Lancia - just a badge stuck on a Fiat platform. Fiat should sell Alfa to VAG

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Good of you to be fair. And at the same time word your contributions to represent other people as well as yourself. The Giulia was designed under the thumb of Marchionne , who also cancelled the FWD Chrysler-based 159 replacement, to be a reverse engineered 3 series with specifically no reference to Giugiaro designed Alfas and a rear to resemble an Audi. The three-box sector is dying but the Giulia is that kind of car. The Tonale shows that the designers are allowed to recognise the Giugiaro era, including the 156 which you seem to have forgotten. The momentum of the 156 was lost and things started again with the 159 which was compromised and also allowed to fizzle out. The Giulia was not allowed to build on the strengths of the 159 which did not feed many customers to it considering the last cars were over three years old by two years by then. What the German companies do very well with this momentum of controlling slight obsolescence in a cycle which matches that of the customers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmmm... I don't remember the 159 having many strengths (or fans) other than its looks, too heavy, uninspiring engines (till we got the 1750), dynamically dull. The 156 by contrast was great, lively engines, pretty good fun. Fiat did not react to the sales success of the 156 quickly enough. What Alfa have actually done with Giulia is pick up where the Alfetta and 75 left off - which is what we (die hard fans) wanted - sadly went it arrived it was disappointing (although if they made a coupe I would find it hard not to buy one and I can not explain why!). I get and understand Marchionne's point of view, i don't like it, but I believe he had a passion to return Alfa to where they were in the 50s,60s,70s and to a lesser extent 80s, and he was prepared to do it. I just can't see it happening now. Alfa were great at making sports saloons and coupes. People don't want those now and Alfas brand presence is not strong enough to attract most would be X or Q purchasers into an Alfa SUV, there will always be a few but it will never been enough - sadly I feel this will be the last Alfa 'Renaissance'

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Yep. People are looking for a car for a monthly figure and not a history lesson. They want the most car they can get, quantity/quality, with the minimum level of explanation required to friends , colleagues , neighbours etc. Alfa does not provide this and they’d better learn it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I drove an Alfa Giulietta in a drive session on ice, many years ago. I liked it but not overwhelming so..
I read the technical specification of the Stelvio QF and was intrigued - both about the engine, chassis and Torque Vectoring. I also saw some of the "tests" being performed by more or less skilld "testers" - all with a smile in their faces.
I went to a dealer to testdrive a Stelvio QF and was sold.

Primarily I bought it for the chassis/TV, but in the end it was the Engine that made my day.

Chassis and TV should be OK money wise - the Ferrar engine not. There will be a less costly I-6 shortly.

Also what did strike me was that I felt at home - almost everything was as I would have designed it. My 9000 Turbo does not agree with that statement - it IS the 100%.

So: how to catch the customers? No easy task, but being true to "joy of driving" - with everything that implies - is a start.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Yet again ...behind the times....Alfa getting an I6 when everyone else is moving away from it for packaging, weight distribution and crash protection reasons !!! Mercs gave up on those a while back.....BMW cant...they have so much history in the I6....bet they would if they could!!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
I never wanted a full time RWD car but now I’ve got the Stelvio ,which is that until awd is needed, I can understand the olde world charm of what BMW used to swear by!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
DB is also delaying its electric offering in the US supposedly because Europe wants the uncompetitive ranged cars. They will also be reducing the number of platforms and derivatives to become more efficient as their margins have dropped.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After all they spent developing the new cars plus a new factory. Very good test reports and better still customer surveys. They then forgot to advertise then worse of all totally allowed the UK network to melt away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In 1986 I celebrated because Fiat were buying Alfa and Ford would not be. Fiat pretty much axed all the best bits of Alfa (The twin cam, the trans axle chassis, the flat four) to replace them with generic modular Fiat items (916 GTV is basically a Fiat tipo with a more refined engine and better rear suspension, Alfa Mito is a Punto). But at least the styling was there. Worse though was the way the cars have been sold, and marketed. What was once seen as special brand was just amalgamated into Fiat - an upmarket Fiat if you will! Alfa have slowly lost their soul.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
After all they spent developing the new cars plus a new factory. Very good test reports and better still customer surveys. They then forgot to advertise then worse of all totally allowed the UK network to melt away.
The Agnelli/Elkann family got their shareholding boosted and a merger with PSA by investing in the Giorgio cars which repositioned the brand( not a fan of that word) further up market than Peugeot Citroen or Vauxhall/Opel can manage. Job done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Agnelli/Elkann family got their shareholding boosted and a merger with PSA by investing in the Giorgio cars which repositioned the brand( not a fan of that word) further up market than Peugeot Citroen or Vauxhall/Opel can manage. Job done.
I'm not sure the cash parting public would agree with that... I certainly don't - I would buy an Alfa because I have a miss placed sense of loyalty (I have only ever owned Alfas), but I would never recommend one to a friend - when they ask I if they should get one I laugh and say no buy a BMW! I would (and may) buy a Giulia QV but the reality is in the real world an M3 is just as good, just as fast, it doesn't break as much, and it will be worth more when you flog it.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
You disagree with PSA then. If the Alfa range was overlapping the Astra,308, C4 , I’m sure PSA would not have been interested. The Giulia and Stelvio are complimentary to the Peugeot , Citroen and ex GM-Europe marques.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What a manufacturer claims and what the public perceive are not the same thing. Alfa is not perceived by the vast majority to be at the same level within the market as the big 3 (BMW, Merc, Audi), and it has not been for at least 25 Years! Is it at the same level as Peugeot or Vauxhall (shudder)? No. Does Joe Blogs see it at the same level as Peugeot or Vauxhall (shudder - again)? Yes. Even if they were just being part of PSA or FCA (unless you're Ferrari - who have special allowances) is incredible detrimental to the brands perceived image. If I found out that an Alfa shared even the smallest part or design concept with a Vauxhall (shudder - again) - I simply wouldn't buy it. All of this further serves to underline the answer to the question posed by the original topic of this post - is the end nigh for Alfa Romeo? and the answer, in my opinion, is not just yes, but rather that it has been and gone. The real question would be if you're in the market for a new car should you buy what is currently being badged as Alfa Romeo? For most people there are a lot more reasons not to.

361 - 380 of 384 Posts