Alfa Romeo Forum banner

281 - 300 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
I’m afraid waiting won’t work. Having the latest technology is an entry requirement for “premium” and Alfa can’t afford to wait any longer, in my opinion. And being see to be playing is important too.

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
We love our Giulietta, however on the odd occasion I’ve popped into the main dealer for parts I have to say it’s a depressing place to be.
It Gives an impression of a clearance shop rather than a display of all their products. Doesn’t exactly encourage inspiration of the brand.
I was surprised when I went into our local BMW showroom only to find discounts written in white ink on the screens of the cars. The Thames Slough showroom was the same when I went there a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Alfa are probably better off waiting for EVs to become more mainstream and component prices to drop off, and then go for a similar approach to Porsche with the Taycan - do all they can to make it feel like an Alfa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE
Feel and look like an Alfa by using design cues from its classic and vintage legacy designs..... Developing on the alfa dna and taking it forward into the future using latest eV tech.... Pitch it at high end of the market too... So they become aspiration product and highly desirable....... Bye bye deisel too....

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
The Tonale goes back to the older Alfa style and is quite desirable. A lot of Alfa designers now work for Chinese companies in Turin. A friend moved to a Chinese company a year ago and was impressed by their product plans and the same can’t be said for Alfa unfortunately.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was surprised when I went into our local BMW showroom only to find discounts written in white ink on the screens of the cars. The Thames Slough showroom was the same when I went there a couple of years ago.
It was more about the positioning / choice of cars at our Show room which let it down. Not to dissimilar to the less organised used car pitch on the forecourt.

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
Same here. You’d think a nicely displayed car with a bit of space round it would be better but maybe if you’ve gone to see a new BMW and you’re nearly there it clinches the deal?
Mercedes dealers have hidden subliminal “ you’d be surprised how cheap they are” messages around the showroom.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Tonale goes back to the older Alfa style and is quite desirable. A lot of Alfa designers now work for Chinese companies in Turin. A friend moved to a Chinese company a year ago and was impressed by their product plans and the same can’t be said for Alfa unfortunately.
What's the retail price of the to ale?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I’m afraid waiting won’t work. Having the latest technology is an entry requirement for “premium” and Alfa can’t afford to wait any longer, in my opinion. And being see to be playing is important too.
It’s just an enormous investment, and a bit of a risk. And the faster the development the less time there is to iron out any problems, something that would be of importance for Alfa trying to flog an EV.

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
“What's the retail price of the to ale?”
About the same as the VW electric car you can’t buy yet either.

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
It’s just an enormous investment, and a bit of a risk. And the faster the development the less time there is to iron out any problems, something that would be of importance for Alfa trying to flog an EV.

I disagree. The ID3 that’s in all the VW ads is not even available. It was going first to their factory employees but they’re stockpiling the 30 cars a day while they work out software. A lot of people are impressed and are only expecting to buy one in a year or two anyway. Battery technology is developing and companies like bmw sell upgrades to existing early adopter i3 owners.

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
Not sure they’re behind exactly, there are only a few companies offering fully electric vehicles. I’m still waiting for someone to do something interesting with the styling on an EV, being as they’re basically a blank canvas all the offerings so far are dreadfully dull. The Taycan is probably the best looking at the moment but even that doesn’t exactly set the pulse racing.

Agree. We keep hearing that electric cars’ layout will reduce design compromises to allow for innovative and unusual shapes. All I see are - mainly - SUVs. Cheers for that :)

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
The Tesla proportions were new , with the base of screen moved down and forward. The Mustang Mach-e didn’t take that opportunity.

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
The Tesla proportions were new , with the base of screen moved down and forward. The Mustang Mach-e didn’t take that opportunity.
You’ll know this better than I do Cue, but is the Tesla a cab-forward design?

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
The cabin is forward, yes. The “dash to axle” is low. A long dash-to-axle is prerequisite of the German premium-proportion , giving them problems now with the fwd 1-er .

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
Ah cool, thank you. For the life of me, I can’t remember their names now, but in the early 90s two platform sharing American saloons made a big play on being cab forward. But there were fwd, so maybe that’s what distinguishes the Tesla in its application of cab forward.

Here you go - it was this one I think :)

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
There were some nice(?) Chrysler cab-fwd cars and even a Lamborghini “sedan” as they owned them at the time!

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
Yep, I thought they were quite smart. Didn’t know about the Lambo saloon. I sense a google search coming along :)

281 - 300 of 338 Posts