Alfa Romeo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
above all: The Family wan´t let Alfa go down the tube.
From what I've seen in northern Italy this week a lot of the more prosperous Italians (of whatever persuasion) drive big German cars rather than Alfas...

·
Registered
480 Posts
From what I've seen in northern Italy this week a lot of the more prosperous Italians (of whatever persuasion) drive big German cars rather than Alfas...
The German manufacturers define that market. That's the issue, they own that market across Europe....

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
They don’t chop and change their offerings. They have a 36 month refresh/replace cycle and they progress a model ,working with their suppliers to make sure they add features without making previous models obsolete for resale secondhand but existing customers will replace their car with the newest one.

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
“We start, of course, from Alfa Romeo Stelvio. The D-SUV is now the best selling Alfa Romeo model ever and is finally registering numbers in clear recovery compared to the past. The October 2019 data, in fact, confirm a total of 2,217 units sold in Europe with a percentage growth of + 25% compared to the results obtained in October last year. Note that 46% of Stelvio's sales are tied to the Italian market where the SUV grew by 17% in October.

In the annual partial, i.e. in the period between January and October, Alfa Romeo sold a total of 22,207 Alfa Romeo Stelvio units in Europe (45% were sold in Italy) registering a percentage decrease of 15% compared to the data collected in the same period last year. It should be noted that almost 50% of Alfa Romeo's total sales in Europe are linked to the Stelvio and that the drop recorded by the SUV compared to 2018 (-15%) is much lower than the drop recorded by the brand (-39%)

“Let us now turn to Giulia. The Italian sedan closed the month of October with a total of 848 units sold across Europe, a figure that translates into a percentage growth of + 15% compared to the results obtained in October last year. In the annual part, however, Giulia continues to record very negative data. In fact, from the beginning of the year to the end of October, Alfa Romeo distributed a total of 9,296 Giulia units, recording a 38% decrease compared to the results obtained in the same period of 2018.””

From Clubalfa.it

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
Oh and “ In 2019, in fact, Alfa Romeo sold a total of 13,660 Alfa Romeo Giulietta units, recording a 44% percentage decrease compared to the data collected last year.”

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
All sounds rosy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No electrification strategy means no future for Alfa. Besides, its not a company anyway, its just a brand in the larger conglomerate. No need to get sentimental, its just about money making.

If the FCA/PSA peeps decided the branding/image is worth something (like the Mustang brand on the new Ford EV) than they'll do it. Otherwise they'll be consolidating platforms and technology like mad and just ensuring they can keep up with the swift shift to electric drive.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No electrification strategy means no future for Alfa. Besides, its not a company anyway, its just a brand in the larger conglomerate. No need to get sentimental, its just about money making.

If the FCA/PSA peeps decided the branding/image is worth something (like the Mustang brand on the new Ford EV) than they'll do it. Otherwise they'll be consolidating platforms and technology like mad and just ensuring they can keep up with the swift shift to electric drive.
They had a strategy. The GTV was supposed to be hybrid and from there other Giulias adapted. The Tonale will be hybrid and with the partnership (I think that’s what we’re supposed to call it) with PSA more electrification will happen. I’m an optimist. Even though Alfa have few models, at least their products are desirable, if not that affordable, rather than the converse, which is truer for Fiat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They had a strategy. The GTV was supposed to be hybrid and from there other Giulias adapted. The Tonale will be hybrid and with the partnership (I think that’s what we’re supposed to call it) with PSA more electrification will happen. I’m an optimist. Even though Alfa have few models, at least their products are desirable, if not that affordable, rather than the converse, which is truer for Fiat.
Well, depends on what they reckon will sell... If it eats sales of "mainstream" FCA/PSA branded products they wont do it, or if if the extra sales don't match the development spend.

We will probably more likely see some badge engineering, or maybe a rebodied PSA electric car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, depends on what they reckon will sell... If it eats sales of "mainstream" FCA/PSA branded products they wont do it, or if if the extra sales don't match the development spend.

We will probably more likely see some badge engineering, or maybe a rebodied PSA electric car.
Definitely the badge engineering side of things, but hopefully they’ll keep some tech unique to Alfa like Fiat did with the Twinspark heads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Definitely the badge engineering side of things, but hopefully they’ll keep some tech unique to Alfa like Fiat did with the Twinspark heads.
Catch is in an electrified world Alfa doesn't have much to offer... Its their styling and "image" that will be of value if anything.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All would have taken is that hybrid GTV to happen and instant game-changer. Gutless management.
FCA has bigger fish to fry than saving the nameplate of a niche brand... They were screwed without merging with Renault or PSA, no real electric tech and still heavily focused on the truck market in the US where Ford and GM have a big lead in even electrifying those big dumb things they love.

A hybrid GTV using tech not used anywhere else and on a very niche model was just an extra cost - its a loss leader model for FCA, and a hybrid isn't worth it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Comments on some of inputs:
- Alfa does, as of recent, have an electrification strategy, which is putting priority on RWD/AWD/ performance. It´s a bit of a gamble, but any other strategy would - to my mind - be cathastrofic. You can´t beat BMW, Audi, DB head on.

I agree - most of car business is just that - business.There are a few exceptions and those include Ferrari and Alfa Romeo - both controlled by the Family. They are willing to - some extent - let huge income from Ferrari reduce their income from FCA/PSA, and yes - they control FCA/PSA through Chairman of the Board.

Alfa is late to "electrification", but does have an ace up the sleeve: the Family controls Magneti Marelli, which happens to supply Ferrar F1 with dominating hybrid system.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Can't understand what there is to be excited about with electric motors. Could be made anywhere and by anyone and fitted to a car. But what is exciting is the look design and style of a car that sets it apart from the bunch and that uniqueness can attract a premium price... That is where alfa can win. With no engine and gearbox to consider the look of a vehicle can be very very exciting......

·
Registered
33,229 Posts
You’ve got it!
The move to electric cars is a chance for makers to start again. The batteries are 40% of the cost of making the car and render the marques bought for their engines a thing of the past. Places that build the batteries the cheapest and employ the designers who used to do the best looking Italian cars have an advantage.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not sure they’re behind exactly, there are only a few companies offering fully electric vehicles. I’m still waiting for someone to do something interesting with the styling on an EV, being as they’re basically a blank canvas all the offerings so far are dreadfully dull. The Taycan is probably the best looking at the moment but even that doesn’t exactly set the pulse racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts
Alfa are probably better off waiting for EVs to become more mainstream and component prices to drop off, and then go for a similar approach to Porsche with the Taycan - do all they can to make it feel like an Alfa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
We love our Giulietta, however on the odd occasion I’ve popped into the main dealer for parts I have to say it’s a depressing place to be.
It Gives an impression of a clearance shop rather than a display of all their products. Doesn’t exactly encourage inspiration of the brand.

261 - 280 of 338 Posts