Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how the the car is aging after being around for about a decade or just under? I had been on here planning to buy either a Prodrive or a GT 3.2 but went for a Z4 coupe instead. 6 months on and not feeling the love I had hoped for with it and am strongly considering selling it and finally buying myself a Brera 2.2 prodrive.

Just wondered what owners thought about the car in terms of the build, material wear etc etc? Any comments as always, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
They are doing pretty well, and generally holding up well, a few pointers as with any car (see the buyers guide). Still stand out from the crowd every day

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

Reactions: pedalaro

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Mines a 2007 model built july 2006 everything works as it should with 59,000 on the clock. It sounds, drives as it did when it rolled off the production line. Also it's an epic car for the thrills it provides everytime you push the start button

·
Registered
71 Posts
No major problems with ours. Just keep on top of the servicing. We've got a great local independent garage. Only problems I've had was a new power steering bottle £50 fitted,new tyres just waiting for a part for the seat. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it as its not just another German run of the mill box

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I think the Brera's getting better with age, it's certainly grown on me over time.
Very few around, unlike the Z4 (which I've considered myself) which gives them that 'special' factor, and of course it's Italian, so you get style, beauty and cool as part of the package.
I wish I'd got one now rather than the PITA that is the Spider.
I may well still trade-in for one...

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Mines a 2007 model built july 2006 everything works as it should with 59,000 on the clock. It sounds, drives as it did when it rolled off the production line. Also it's an epic car for the thrills it provides everytime you push the start button
Where have you been hiding?
Not been doing many miles in the V6?

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
A silver one with the wrong wheels ?
No.
Any colour with 17s don't look right (as is the case with the Spider/159/Giulietta) IMHO.
A red Brera with the darker 19'' Prodrives looks stunning.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the Brera's getting better with age, it's certainly grown on me over time.
Very few around, unlike the Z4 (which I've considered myself) which gives them that 'special' factor, and of course it's Italian, so you get style, beauty and cool as part of the package.
I wish I'd got one now rather than the PITA that is the Spider.
I may well still trade-in for one...
The coupe isn't just as common thankfully and looks much better than the convertible but I know what you mean. Everything you've mentioned is exactly why I want one. I love everything Italian and just feel I need to have an Italian car! The Brera is still achingly gorgeous and the rather average GM engine is just going to have to be a compromise I guess. I've found that my journeys don't really require a lot of horse power anyway and I'd rather cruise in Italian style.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys so far, it's great to hear such positive feedback about the car. Very encouraging in a time when forums would put you off buying anything at all.

·
Registered
35,162 Posts
Very few cars without "lovely curves" ever become a classic and my wife , who once came back from Waitrose wanting to know what car she'd just seen, recently said that the Brera was looking a bit old now.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I was up at Farnborough earlier this week at a Pre Airshow meeting. the car park was full of the normal black/grey German suspects. We went out to look at some locations in a chauffeured truck, as I looked back there was only one car which really stood out, my red Prodrive Brera.Well I would say that wouldnt I? 73K, still perfect.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Where have you been hiding?
Not been doing many miles in the V6?
Hi lussoman, not much now mate busy lifestyle.

2,800 miles 22-3-15 to 22-3-2016
3,800 mile 5-3-2014 to 23-2 2015
2,800 7-3-13 to 5-3 2014

And only 200 miles or so since March 22nd. In two week i have 16 days with no commitments i need to regreese the poly upper arm bushs, give an oil change & filter then think i'm going to be her none stop

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
The coupe isn't just as common thankfully and looks much better than the convertible but I know what you mean. Everything you've mentioned is exactly why I want one. I love everything Italian and just feel I need to have an Italian car! The Brera is still achingly gorgeous and the rather average GM engine is just going to have to be a compromise I guess. I've found that my journeys don't really require a lot of horse power anyway and I'd rather cruise in Italian style.
Yes, sorry, my mistake - I was thinking of the newer updated convertible which in a lot of the ads it's described as a 'coupe' rather than 'convertible'. Best of both worlds I guess.
I'd actually forgotten about the original fixed head coupe. It is indeed rare :thumbup:.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No need to apologise bud :). Brera is still rarer than the Coupe I have or at least they seem to be in Northern Ireland anyway. Think I've seen 2 in the past year. It definitely is the sort of car you buy because you want it rather than for any other reason or so I imagine anyway. I doubt it is class leading in any respect other than the fact it is Italian and looks stunning.

·
Registered
542 Posts
No need to apologise bud :). Brera is still rarer than the Coupe I have or at least they seem to be in Northern Ireland anyway. Think I've seen 2 in the past year. It definitely is the sort of car you buy because you want it rather than for any other reason or so I imagine anyway. I doubt it is class leading in any respect other than the fact it is Italian and looks stunning.
I'm not so sure, today was the first time I had chance since buying to use the Spider properly on some country roads. I really am impressed! The way it managed to take the corners I found really impressive. Unfortunately the previous owner has had very cheap brake pads put on the car and the brakes are very poor with a bill of about £25 for front pads(330mm discs). So, that will be the next job after the full set of tyres the car has just had! Ouch. The Spider does seem to be reasonably built though. I have the V6 and the sound is amazing. I did look at Z4s when buying mine, but for style, to me they didn't have a patch on the Spider. When you jack the car up and see the suspension design (at least at the rear) you'll realise this is no ordinary car. I'm not sure what the BMW looks like underneath. I still cannot workout if the Spiders chassis is that good or its the Q4 part that gives the extra grip?:shocked:

·
Registered
241 Posts
They are probably getting on for classic status in another few years, ultimately class leading is a fleeting attribute, what's class leading today is quickly surpassed in a few years by newer technology. When it comes to buying older cars your better off buying on looks, because no one buys older cars for handling or specification, they buy for looks, noise, sense of occasion and charisma.

This is why I think the brera will do much better as a classic against the rivals of its day than it did against them at the time, because things like having less efficient engines etc just won't matter anymore

·
Registered
7,382 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very fair point well made guys about my class leading comment. Never thought about it the way you put it Peter but it makes a lot of sense and with that train of thought, it would certainly make a Brera more desirable. I'm disappointed I haven't bonded with the Z4 more as I love how it looks and the engine is silky smooth but there is just something not clicking. I'm going to get it booked in for a detail and then try and sell it. With the summer coming up in think it's a good time to sell such a car.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts