Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask as they seem to have similar torque figures? I am still considering a 159, but if the stories are to be believed the fuel economy is rubbish! Where as the Volvo (also 5 cylinder) seems to have less emissions, and better fuel efficiency. I like the C30, although space and price aren't good, so maybe an S40?

I know this is a Alfa forum but has anyone had experience of these, as I must be sensible as well and not just get a car on looks alone! :rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
No its not the same engine. Fiat - GM had a partnership on the smaller diesels only, but not with Ford at any size.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Nope, totally different engines, as above.

The 2.4 D5 is actually a good unit. Different character to the Fiat 2.4 20v unit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have v50 d5 and I only get 37 mpg driving 35 miles Liverpool to manchester in rush hour traffic the car is also slower than the 159ti I have driven or at least it feels slower

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
My last car was the detuned D5 engine in a '55' plate S60. Performance of that (163 bhp) was pretty much an exact match for my current 1.9 JtdM, although whereas the Alfa has a very linear power delivery, the Volvo had a mighty shove in the mid-range, but then died towards the top. Having test driven a 2.4 Alfa I would say the Alfa 2.4 is quicker than the Volvo 2.4

If emissions and mpg are issues, you really should go for the new Alfa 2.0 diesel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emissions and mpg are important to a degree, but I like the sound of the D5 and 2.4jtdm, so I don't think I could bring myself to drive the 4 cylinder (generic sound). I get the impression that the D5 is better on the fuel, otherwise the 159 2.4d would win hands down (on looks, black looks evil!:D ). I do like the s40 interior though, and comedy effect could be had buying a white one and sticking a couple of ariels on the back (copper coming through, haha)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The 2.4 diesel block is the same as in the petrol Stilo Abarth:D

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I think we were all waiting for SR to come along and somehow divert the thread away from diesels to petrol:lol::cheese:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I didn't disappoint;)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Coming from an S40 company car to Brera - same interior as 159 - I can safely say that despite the 'floating' console, the S40 is a very dull place to be. It also has interesting build quality. Numerous buzzing noises from behind the speedo area and very easily tarnished plastics.

It is also extremely grey.

To be honest, it is not a patch on the 159 and is really just a Ford Focus with a Volvo body. It is not a like for like comparison as the S40 is much smaller and an all round duller affair.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not aware that they put the D5 engine in the S40/V50. We're talking about the S60/V70. How sad, I know my Volvo's!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
they didnt, only the 1.6 and the 2.0, knowing volvo's isnt sad, nice cars:D

and old 850-R would be very nice:D oh and you forgot the S80;):thumbs:

iv yet to see the new v70 on the road, but its new corporate nose, looks very agressive, especially an r-design in black:D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
How sad, I know my Volvo's!
"There's more to life than a Volvo. That's why you drive one!":cheese: Errr no, thats why we don't:cheese: Couldn't resist the ad quote!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,714 Posts
The Ford Focus ST uses the 5 pot Volvo engine in petrol variation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
they didnt, only the 1.6 and the 2.0, knowing volvo's isnt sad, nice cars:D
:D
I've got a V50 with D5 and an auto box, I was really lucky ordered or tried to order a 159 2.4 QT as my company car and the guy with the volvo handed his notice in so I got my 2.4 5 cylnder auto
yipee:lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I've got a V50 with D5 and an auto box, I was really lucky ordered or tried to order a 159 2.4 QT as my company car and the guy with the volvo handed his notice in so I got my 2.4 5 cylnder auto
yipee:lol:
i know they did them in 2007 when launched but cant find them on their website, i thought they did, but i couldnt find them, so stayed in the ford diesel range:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts