Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few threads lately explaining that the 159 shares its platform/parts with the GM group. Is this true?

Am i driving Vauxhall?? :confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
ever been in a vectra? i have....for hundreds of miles. the answer is NO. they have some common parts due to vaux using the JTDm engine. but the vectra is boring and naff...the 159 is a masterpiece

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
No it's not, it was to be the new Saab 9-5 and a possible Omega platform, but that fell through.

GM bought and build under licence the 1.9 diesel Engine, the non turbo petrol motors are all based on GM engines.

Some of the manual transmissions are sourced from GM

So just some power train sharing, that said, as it was intended as a GM platform when Fiat designed it, it does have things like Delphi systems over the usual Bosch,mMarelli and Valeo and GM spec PCD on the wheels.

It's one of the reasons the car is so heavy, it was designed to be scaled up to bigger wheelbases and wider tracks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been in a vectra mzhussein, yes! And it was horrible! Your right, im so in love with my 159. cant't stop looking at it!

I didn't know about the saab connection either, cj romeo. So if i understand this correctly, the engine is alfa or fiat but a few bits of the electronics and maybe my manual 6 speed box is gm too? It does feel heavy at times but quite chuckable too. Love the way it handles.

I'd imagine the saab thing fell through because they went into administration? Come to think of it.......have saab totally stopped production forever now?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have seen a few threads lately explaining that the 159 shares its platform/parts with the GM group. Is this true?

Am i driving Vauxhall?? :confused:
No. But it is true that that some Vauxhalls/Saabs got Alfa parts. GM were in real trouble with their Diesel engines until the partnership with Alfa. The partnership was all on way until a messy divorce but Alfa did get a lot of money. The divorce was already underway before the 159 launch so it is saddled with some GM Architecture and the sad V6 base which needed much work to get it like an Alfa. This new V6 passed the emmisions tests and should have been more economical to build but the volumes never happened after the divorce.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Saab thing fell through when GM parted ways with the Fiat development JV, it cost a fortune to sever it, even though the Punto, Corsa, Mito and Ypsilon platform share continues as does the Jtdm sharing, though now the engines are built under licence by GM, they don't buy from FPT any more.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. But it is true that that some Vauxhalls/Saabs got Alfa parts. GM were in real trouble with their Diesel engines until the partnership with Alfa. The partnership was all on way until a messy divorce but Alfa did get a lot of money. The divorce was already underway before the 159 launch so it is saddled with some GM Architecture and the sad V6 base which needed much work to get it like an Alfa. This new V6 passed the emmisions tests and should have been more economical to build but the volumes never happened after the divorce.
Thanks old engineer! Very knowledgeable!

It's interesting how manufacturers share parts with each other. Must cost the receiver a bomb! :wow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ever been in a vectra? i have....for hundreds of miles. the answer is NO. they have some common parts due to vaux using the JTDm engine. but the vectra is boring and naff...the 159 is a masterpiece
I think "masterpiece" is a bit strong - I might settle for "flawed diamond" but the temporary arrangement with GM did the car no favours although the engine revenue must have been very favourable for FPT.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
The divorse was between GM and FIAT Auto IIRC, GM had to pay FIAT (in the billions), platform was a joint devolopment between both Saab and Alfa, but only Alfa used it.

Petrol engines (2.2 and 3.2) are GM blocks which are modified using Alfa technology which cant be used / bolted on to saabs and vauxhall engines

Not sure, but thought the 1.9 diesel was developed by FIAT auto and used by GM? But i have never been sure of this

·
Registered
841 Posts
I owned a Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid (05 plate) at the same time as my 159 1.9 JTDm and the similarities are striking. When the bonnet was open the engine bays looked amazingly identical. Of course the same engine but also the same coolant bottle, brake fluid reservoir, fuel filter, hoses, radiator etc etc.

The doors were also an identical shape (except the skin and internal trim) with the same rubbers and latches.

Not sure about the similarities with Vectras though as I haven't got that close to anything reasonably modern for a long time.

I was under the impression that the Saab 9-3, Alfa 159 and the Vectra (old shape) where a joint venture between Saab, Alfa and Vauxhall - floorpan, powerplant, gearbox, doors etc all done together and then they went their separate ways to "finish off" the car.

I also heard that the JTDm engine was a Saab development that GM desparately desired for its own cars and had to pay a lot of money to manufacture under licence.

James

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have driven the 1.9 Tid 9-3 and in no way did it feel like the same car as the 159. The one I had as a courtesy car handled pretty badly and rattled about a lot. It did however behave like the Vectra's I have driven, but not as well put together. I was really disappointed in the 9-3 as I was in love with the 900's as a boy :S

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have driven the 1.9 Tid 9-3 and in no way did it feel like the same car as the 159. The one I had as a courtesy car handled pretty badly and rattled about a lot. It did however behave like the Vectra's I have driven, but not as well put together. I was really disappointed in the 9-3 as I was in love with the 900's as a boy :S
Yes, I agree with that. My 9-3 had really soft suspension and didn't feel as solid as the 159. I'd kind of expect that though as the suspension on the two cars is totally different in every way.

James

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The chassis of the 93 and Vectra has nothing in common with the 159 at all.

That platform was the Vectra, Signum, 93 and Caddilac CTS and it's not very good, being a development of the mid 90's Vectra.

The cars don't compare at all platform wise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having just found this old(ish) thread and having had the misfortune of owning a Fiat based on the GM Epsilon chassis I'm happy to add that no Alfa shares anything with the Vectra/Signum/Saab 9.3/Cadillac CTS.

GM Epsilon platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second generation Croma was the only UK model made by any Fiat Group company cursed enough to be a love child of the ill-fated GM Fiat Epsilon JV.

Fiat Croma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some Lancia models suffered a similar genetic mutation, but luckily they were never imposed on the UK market.

As said, the 159 was born of a similar, but later, Fiat/GM chassis JV, but was lucky enough to be raised by Italian engineers, not German accountants.

Alfa Romeo 159 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I knew the non turbo petrol engines were GM based. I always wanted to know if they are decent engines though? Take the 3.2 JTS (GM) compared to the Busso V6 for example. Always interested in the true comparison.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Theres a mechanic at autolusso luton, who used to advise the Vauxhal dealerships how to work on their cars, who says the floorpan is identical to a vauxhal. I don't doubt him as hes seen a few!

Jonnym

1 - 18 of 18 Posts