Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She got hit - again.

The 4th time in the 2.5yrs I owned her - altogether more than the previous 6yrs of more mileage!

Was driving along the dual carriage way on the inside lane - saw a car swerve from the outside lane into the middle, the car in front did the same so this guy decided to come into my lane. Saw him, flashed him, slowed, but he still managed to swipe me. Hit the OSR rear door & scuffed the front. Not major damage though the door is misaligned & obviously rippled. What hassle. the guy was apologetic, but I just laughed- though not in a Ha-Ha sort of way.....

It's just one thing after another. As my mates say, I devote too much care and attention on her.

Thing is, from last night I had about 3 very near misses & just one on the way this evening so I felt that I should just get home 'cos there were too many idiots on the road.

Anyway, enough is enough. I going to have to end our relationship. :(

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What nonsense :tut: . You really think your car is the reason why you get in accidents a lot :confused: That is a weird form of superstition :rolleyes:

Stay with her, the two of you have been through so much, why leave her :confused:
(sorry for the don't get a divorce speech :eek: ;) ) But I do mean it :lol: .

But if all my words won't help, please replace her with an...ALFA. Afterall, it is an acronym for All Love For Alfa :cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joost said:
What nonsense :tut: . You really think your car is the reason why you get in accidents a lot :confused: That is a weird form of superstition :rolleyes:
There is a (slightly vague) common denominator in all of this (no it's not me :p ). Let's just say it's with all the drivers who have it me...... :rolleyes:

I know it sounds like a cop-out but everyone from relatives to friends to even the garage that last repaired my car reckons she should go. Too many different & unconnected people have told me the same thing so methinks they may have a point.....

I was planning on letting her go in the summer, but I reckon it'll be sooner rather than later.

Joost said:
But if all my words won't help, please replace her with an...ALFA. Afterall, it is an acronym for All Love For Alfa :cool:
Oh, I want stick with Alfa ;)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Veloc_Gee said:
Oh, I want stick with Alfa ;)
Is that?: I won't stick with Alfa, in which case :tut:

or

I want to stick with Alfa, in which case :cool: :) :) :cool:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I had a black Uno once with the number plate "666". Everyone told me it was a "death car".

Well... maybe for other road users but not for me. :D

Snap out of this negativity fella. The facts are that the roads have 50% more traffic on than 10 years ago and those cars are all bigger. It's modern times dude..

The rise in the urban 4x4 suggests you're not alone in feeling more vulnerable on the roads...

Drive slower, drive "safer". Take an advanced driving course and learn "defensive driving" (or buy a V6 and accelerate your way out of trouble. :D )

But thinking your car is somehow "haunted" or "jinxed" is just plain voodoo.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Bad luck VG :(

Hope the damage will be sorted efficiently with no expense to yourself.

Assuming misbehaviour by the car itself didn't contribute to any of your near misses I suspect you are being a bit hard on the old dear..

Thats said if the bond isn't there like it should be, it might be time to move on.

Will be interested to see if you decide to give her a send off at the ring, or want to get something in time for the ring.

What are you thinking of getting?

2nd hand V6's are very good value! :D

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident :(

I agree with Ralf, though, I don't think your car is "cursed" - it's just that there are so many more cars on the roads and the level of driving proficiency has plummeted to new depths. You are just as safe in this car as you would be in any other, so it is not worth changing cars over.

However, if you just fancy a new car, that is a different matter.... :) :cool:

Anyway, all the best whichever you decide and don't forget to post pics of your new Alfa when you get one..... :D ;)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That's just unlucky, you'd have been hit whatever you were in.

If you must blame superstition, keep the Alfa for when you're feeling lucky, and get a scabby old landy with whacking great bull bars all the way around it for when you feel unlucky. You may still get bumped or nudged, but at least you can fight back, dodgem-style :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support guys.

However, to not believe in luck, karma, whatever, is a bit narrow minded... Thing is I've had too many ups & downs (not just the accidents but also the mechanical things) with this car to not feel less than positive about it....so I won't be keeping her.

Joost
Yes I do still want an Alfa.

ralf S - 'drive slower & defensive driving': all my accidents have been at low speed. I always drive defensively - I avoided 3 accidents in the 24hrs before, one only 1/2hr prior. But if someone decides to play dodgems then there is little that can be done. You wouldn't believe the appalling driving I have been coming across recently. It is why many of my mates would never ride in London & only really choose to bike on quieter roads at car free times.

Advance Driving: I worked with a Chauffeur at one place who had this & ROSPA & he still managed to miss a car in his blind spot & crash......You are right though, driving standards have dropped dramatically.

TB
Not sure yet. I do want a last 'fling' with her at the 'ring ;)

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
While it may seem silly and superstitious, I do believe that there are cars that are just "unlucky" -- at least for certain people.

If that's the case with your current Alfa, get rid of it. Even if you replace it with a very similar car, you'll likely find that "luck" will improve -- just make sure you change something major about the car (say the colour) or the body style (four door for two door) -- you've got to shake up the karma/the chi/the energy flow/the-whatever-you-want-to-call-it somehow.

I only say this because I've had cars that seem to attract people hitting them -- usually when I was unable to do anything about it, such as sitting at a stoplight. :rolleyes: After changing the cars even though my driving habits didn't change (my style stayed the same, my routes and times stayed the same, etc.) my driving "luck" seemed to improve. I can't explain it any other way.

Normally I'm the most rational person around. I don't put any stock into weird voodoo mysticism, but I'm willing to admit there are things out there that I can't logically explain away. So what I'm saying is that if you feel like you need to change a car for reasons of "luck," do it. It might not help, but it's unlikely to hurt.

Have fun car shopping. :)
--Toronto

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
sorry to hear about your car but stay in the alfa fold :D

S

·
0 Posts
I know this isn't going to help but many years ago my Dad bought a Maestro when they were all new and shiny etc. It was a couple of years old and was a nice motor, had low miles but several owners. Anyways, he brought it home and mother saw it for the first time. She refused point blank to get in it. She just said it gave her a bad feeling. Anyway, Dad thought that was a pile of pants and in process of chasing service history, phoned previous owner who said that he had a funny feeling about the car and sold it only a few weeks after buying it.
Dad caved and sold it, the garage that sold it didn't want it and refused to take it part exchange saying that ever since they had bought it people were unhappy when given job of moving or cleaning it, no reason, just not wanting to have anything to do with it. Dad threw all the toys out of the pram and they eventually agreed to take it back at the price he paid for it, and gave him a deal on another car.

Anyways, a few months later, that very car was involved in a fatal accident on the A1 which killed all in the car, it just left the road and hit something, I think a tree and got the picture of the wreck into the local rag!

Cursed car?

I think so!

Sometimes objects just inspire a funny feeling that is unexplainable!

Andy

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toronto Spider said:
Normally I'm the most rational person around. I don't put any stock into weird voodoo mysticism, but I'm willing to admit there are things out there that I can't logically explain away. So what I'm saying is that if you feel like you need to change a car for reasons of "luck," do it. It might not help, but it's unlikely to hurt.

Have fun car shopping. :)
--Toronto
Cheers Toronto. You articulated v.well what I was getting at.

AndyMac said:
my Dad bought a Maestro when they were all new and shiny etc. It was a couple of years old and was a nice motor, had low miles but several owners. Anyways, he brought it home and mother saw it for the first time. She refused point blank to get in it. She just said it gave her a bad feeling. Anyway, Dad thought that was a pile of pants and in process of chasing service history, phoned previous owner who said that he had a funny feeling about the car and sold it only a few weeks after buying it.
.......Dad caved and sold it........

Anyways, a few months later, that very car was involved in a fatal accident on the A1 which killed all in the car, it just left the road and hit something, I think a tree and got the picture of the wreck into the local rag!

Cursed car?

I think so!

Sometimes objects just inspire a funny feeling that is unexplainable!

Andy
Errrrr.....thanks for that Andy :p - that really did send chills down my spine. :eek: :eek: That is so spooky & awfully tragic.

Thanks for the support guys.

Now, where do I get a talisman... ;)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Veloc Gee, what colour is your car?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm with you on the luck thing. One or two incidents/accidents/reliability issues can be put down to happenstence, but this seems like bad karma to me!

My second race car was fated, it just never ever worked right and had a succession of "ooh, I've never seen one of those break before" incidents and then just would not sell. I ended up stripping it and selling it for parts. And the guy that bought the chassis/body work.... ran out of money and now wants to sell! :rolleyes: My wife always had a bad feeling about it, it kept coming loose on the trailer in a way the caterham never had, it was just one unlucky car and I never had the "ooh I want to drive it" vibe.

As an example of the rare incidents see the attached pic - the metal lining of the foam cap air filter on the Hayabusa engine broke up, and the piece on the left blocked the throttle body wide open... On the aprroach to Copse corner at well over a ton! New trousers please...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gary Slegg said:
Veloc Gee, what colour is your car?
Silver.

I think this was my grandfather's favourite colour as all his shops, truck & boat were called Silver "something". & all successful.

it hasn't seemed to have worked for me :(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Veloc_Gee said:
Silver.

I think this was my grandfather's favourite colour as all his shops, truck & boat were called Silver "something". & all successful.

it hasn't seemed to have worked for me :(
Hhmm, Silver isn't associated with an increase risk of accidents, so I think maybe you've just been unfortunate. If you're getting bad vibes about the car though maybe you should change it - if its playing on your mind its likely to affect the way you drive, and that might increase the risk of further accidents :(

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gary Slegg said:
Hhmm, Silver isn't associated with an increase risk of accidents, so I think maybe you've just been unfortunate. If you're getting bad vibes about the car though maybe you should change it - if its playing on your mind its likely to affect the way you drive, and that might increase the risk of further accidents :(
Silver is supposed to be a 'safer' colour - according to stats.

The crazy thing is, I was intending to keep the car as I felt nothing else could possibly happen - everything was in the past & felt positive. And I have just got the car just perfect for me (suspension, brakes, etc) & i was ready for the 'ring trip (even been practising on the old GT04).

I don't know what is going on....:confused:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Hi VG,

commiserations!

Perhaps its for the best that you aren't bringing that particular vehicle to the Ring? :eek:

If I was you I would move on to my next car I think at this point..
Maybe the guy who wrecked it will buy it off you for "fair market value" (before the accident)?

If the Ring trip is a sucess - hopefully we will do it next year as well. Hopefully you will still be in an Alfa.
If not, I'm sure a special guest or two will be allowed ;)

Cheers,
TB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts