Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas to you all.....I've may have a bit of a problem with the rear suspension on my Mito Twinair Sportiva.....Just before Christmas I was reversing my car to park and managed to mount the kerb lop-sided resulting in a loud scraping sound from the underside of the car - note this was at low speed. I stopped, pulled forward and everything seemed OK and drove home without any problems.

Today I got round to giving the car a check over at ground level (so difficult to see everything clearly), however noticed that the near-side rear wheel seemed further back than the off-side wheel (see pictures attached). The gap between the rear of the near-side rear tyre is approx. 10-12mm (plus wheel doesn't look centralised in the wheel arch....seems too far back). The gap between the rear of the off-side rear tyre is at least 25mm (plus wheel does look centralised in the wheel arch) - so looks OK. I've never noticed a difference before and am now concerned that my parking mishap may have damaged or moved something at the rear of the car affecting the wheel positioning - the car still seems to drive OK.

I will take it to the local garage next week (once open) so we can have a look at it up on a ramp but I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas from the guys on the forum.

Cheers....

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree, it's very unlikely you can harm the rear suspension without making the wheel point in wrong directions, and it looks pretty straight on the photo.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will re-check bumper,arch liner tomorrow. I agree, a simple underside scrap at very low speed shouldn't have moved anything but I can't remember whether the near-side rear wheel has always been like that shown - not good in my eyes if that has been the case., surely it must be central in the wheel arch. Yes wheel looks straight, ride height is level and not dropped. And it seems to drive OK.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Quote: "plus wheel does look centralised in the wheel arch."
If the wheels are non original after market maybe its missing the centralization ring and have move on the hub.
I once fitted a non original wheel without the ring on my wife's Fiat Punto, and the wheel jumped.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up on this issue. Had car up on ramp at the local garage and inspected by the mechanic - couldn't find any problems with suspension, rear wheels turns concentrically.... no run-out. In fact there was no signs of scrapping on the underside of car. So its looks like no damage was caused in my little mishap but I'm still confused with why the near-side rear wheel sits further back than the off-side rear wheel (think its been like it since I brought the car). I will check out a couple of Mitos at our local Alfa garage for a comparison.
Meanwhile, whilst checking this problem I noticed a nail in the off-side rear tyre, outside the legal repair area :depressed:.....so a new Pirelli Pzero Nero 215/40 R18 87W now paid for £117.50 fully fitted from tyre-shopper.co.uk.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to check the wheelbase today on both sides of the car. Near side measured 20mm more than offside (centre of front hub to centre of rear hub) which corresponds to what I'm visibly seeing. This is really strange !

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
make sure the steering is perfectly straight when you measure.

you can't be off by that much and track straight.
Yes steering was straight when I measured it. The difference seen does match what I'm actually seeing visually (shown in the photos I attached). Probably need to take it to a 'stealer' to see what they think.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got round to taking the Twinair to the dealer Friday just to get their opinion on this wheelbase issue - mechanic was scratching his head a bit, never seen it before (he was a Ford mechanic, not use to Alfa quirks). We had a look at a couple of brand new Mitos in the showroom and low and behold they had different wheelbases on each side too. One was further back on the near-side and one on the farside - obviously Alfa don't think having equal wheelbases matter, very strange. Anyway, its booked in this Friday for a closer look on the ramp and maybe adjustment (assuming that's possible).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well dealer had the car Friday to look at this wheelbase issue and to be honest I am disappointed. They said they had readjusted the wheels slightly, however looking at the near-side rear it doesn't seem to have been moved at all (this side needed moving forward in my opinion) while the far-side rear as been pushed back slightly (this side was OK to start with). The cars they had at the dealership had various different rear wheel positions within their wheel arches so it looks like Alfa don't really care whether the wheelbases on each side of their cars are equal or not.

The only good thing was I wasn't charged for the work on Friday and they gave the car a wash :jester: , maybe that's not a good thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts