Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three years ago I bought a Mito Turismo, unfortunately I now need to part ex it for a bigger car however some things have been uncovered recently that makes me think my Turismo is actually a modified Junior.

Last week the car went into the garage to be looked at as there is a loud knocking noise coming from underneath it. However when the garage (not the one I bought it from) checked the documentation they told us the warranty wasn't registered in our name and wouldn't tell us whose name it was in. So I had to phone the dealership I bought the car from and get them to alter the documentation so it was in our name. They didn't give any explanation as to why it wasn't in my name and when I confronted them that I thought it was dodgy they just said it was down to a clerical error (incidently the cars warranty was in the name of Palmers, the name of the dealership).

I then contacted the other garage (Desira) to tell them it should now be in our name, they again checked but it was still not. So again I phoned Palmers and they assured me it had been swapped over and also emailed me the Validation Certificate which now had our name on it. However upon checking this document I found that the car is listed as being a Mito 1.4 16v 78bhp Junior!

This got me to thinking about when I bought the car three years ago. Initially we had an issue with the car where it broke down 30 minutes after leaving the dealership with an electrical failure. This was fixed by the garage but why would this happen on a brand new car? Also we had issues with the cars registration documents which ALSO had the car listed as a Junior and we had to send off the documents together with a letter from Palmers to the DVLA to get it altered to say the car was a Turismo.

Also now I am going into garages to get a price for a part ex on the car and when garages enter the registration into there computer it is coming up that the car is a Junior.

With all this evidense what I think Palmers have done is taken a Junior and altered it so it has the DNA system and also added the options we requested (Bluetooth and rear parking sensors) and then just passed it off as a
Turismo.

One thing that is bugging me though is what are the actual differences between a Junior and a Turismo? I can't find an old brosure which lists them and now the Mito spec levels have been changed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Does the silver sticker in the door opening say its a Junior? A Giulietta has somthing like Lusso/Veloce . But different markets have their own nomenclature , applied here at the docks. Did Palmers tell you it was a new car or pre-reg?
Is it unlikely DNA can be retro-fitted ,though?
Intriguing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
the car is listed as being a Mito 1.4 16v 78bhp Junior!
With all this evidense what I think Palmers have done is taken a Junior and altered it so it has the DNA system and also added the options we requested (Bluetooth and rear parking sensors) and then just passed it off as a
Turismo.
Thanks.
Either you have made a typo or somthing is seruously wrong! 1.4 16v has 95bhp, 1.4 8v has 78bhp. Mito with 1.4 8v does not come with DNA period! And impossible to retro fit DNA and blue&me. Bluetooth and rear parking sensor mostlikely aftermarket

·
Administrator
88,403 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No typo was made my validation certificate says its 78bhp. Top gear also has the spec of a Junior listed as being 78bhp but the same cc engine as the Turismo.

Junior: Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 16v 78bhp Junior Hatchback 3d 1368cc full specification - BBC Top Gear

Turismo: Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 16V Turismo Hatchback 3d 1368cc full specification - BBC Top Gear

What's to say the DNA couldn't be retro fitted? Surely that'd explain why the car broke down with a critical electrical failure after 20 minutes of me owning it.

This car was brand new and not a pre reg I was also led to believed that it was built to my exact specification in a plant in Italy and that why I had to wait a few months to take delivery of it. I'm beginning to think all that time it was just being bodged in the dealership garage.

The sticker on the door seal says its a Turismo but I'm definitely going to check out the engine code tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked all over the engine bay (admittedly with a torch) but couldn't find the engine code plaque, where is it?

·
Administrator
88,403 Posts
According to the Owner Manual (The first pic which I posted above) the Identification Plate is in the boot ;)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
No typo was made my validation certificate says its 78bhp. Top gear also has the spec of a Junior listed as being 78bhp but the same cc engine as the Turismo.

Junior: Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 16v 78bhp Junior Hatchback 3d 1368cc full specification - BBC Top Gear

Turismo: Alfa Romeo MiTo 1.4 16V Turismo Hatchback 3d 1368cc full specification - BBC Top Gear

What's to say the DNA couldn't be retro fitted? Surely that'd explain why the car broke down with a critical electrical failure after 20 minutes of me owning it.

This car was brand new and not a pre reg I was also led to believed that it was built to my exact specification in a plant in Italy and that why I had to wait a few months to take delivery of it. I'm beginning to think all that time it was just being bodged in the dealership garage.

The sticker on the door seal says its a Turismo but I'm definitely going to check out the engine code tomorrow morning.

Click on the link for the Turismo and it takes you to the Junior one...

Might be mine thats screwed up or Top Gear web site, now all i get is the 155 version now. Dam strange

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you have DNA and Blue & Me then I wouldn't worry at all about it bing a Junior!

Do you have steering wheel controls also?

All of these things would be neigh on impossible to retro-fit (if someone could they would make a killing in retro fitting), and cost the garage a fortune in labour to do, therefore not making it financially beneficial to do.

I'm also guessing you have alloys and the junior didn't - another expense for the garage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Many dealers aren't even capable of curing simple problems. Unlikely they could or would bother to convert a Junior into a Turismo.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info I'll check it out tomorrow. The Turismo doesn't come with alloys, plus we paid extra to have the Bluetooth kit added so presumably that wasn't standard on the Turismo either.

G

·
It looks like alot of work to retrofit the DNA switch as its part of the center consol. Another way to tell is junior = 5 gears, turismo = 6 gears.

Simples:)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The parts department at your dealer with your vin number can identify what your car was when it left the factory.

Or if you can find a Eper disc on ebay that covers your year, you can do it yourself.

Finding out which engine is a start!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked the plate and the code next to motore-engine is 199A6000 which according to the link posted earlier makes it a 1.4 Petrol 95BHP. So I guess it might be legit however I'm still confused as to why my warranty documentation and initially my vehicle registration documentation said the car was a Junior, not to mention why when dealerships do a search on my plate it says its a Junior.

Where would I find the chassis number? Also what's an ePER? Thanks.

Algae I just tried your link and my mito came out as this:

MODEL MITO BASE 1.4 78CV 6M

What should a Turismo be? Cheers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts