Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature, according to the gauge, never reaches 90° when I’m driving the car. The maximum temperature shown on the gauge is just over 70°.

However, when the car is at standstill with the engine running, the temperature gauge reaches 90° at which point the fan kicks in.

What’s wrong if anything? :confused:

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
yes you need a new thermostat.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you explain what's wrong please?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
The thermostat isn't closing fully so the engine is being overcooled (stat shouldn't open until 82degC).
When you are stationary in traffic there is no airflow through the rad so the temp can rise to the correct level (90degC).

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when I'm driving the maximum temperature show on the gauge should be 82°? I'll keep a closer eye on it over the next week or so.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
The minimum temp should be 82degC.
If it runs cooler than that the stat is stuck open.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So when I'm driving the needle on the gauge should read between 82° and 90° all the time?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
yep.

Mine sits on the "9" of 90 at the moment.

Even at speed with sub-zero temperatures outside.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks DC. :)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, but I know a bloke who'll do it for not much more than the cost of the part. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
i changed my thermostat last week.
before 70-80.....never go to 90
now 15 minutes....85-90

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I never go above 75 when driving along. I changed my thermostat and it made no difference. I think its the hot water being routed to the LPG evaporator that is bypassing the thermostat. All I need to do now is change the way the fitters plumbed it in but after 4 years of not doing it yet I guess I must admit I never will :rolleyes:
The car doesn't seem to care either way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't bother changing it.. i changed mine, at it still sits at 70deg.. and I've heard of a few people who experienced the same.
Having said that, if you plan to keep the car for another 20 years, then change it.. you're gonna end up spending lotsa cash anyway, so you may as well start now ;)

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Don't bother changing it.. i changed mine, at it still sits at 70deg.. and I've heard of a few people who experienced the same.
Just because a part is new, don't assume that it is OK. There are such things as faulty components.

W

·
0 Posts
Having said that, if you plan to keep the car for another 20 years, then change it.. you're gonna end up spending lotsa cash anyway, so you may as well start now ;)
Not very sound advice...engine not running properly leads to increased mpg and engine wear....and it's cold for longer so no cabin heat!

There are far more people who have seen a dramatic change in temp displayed so daft not to. Jury is still out on the JTS engine.

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Not very sound advice...engine not running properly leads to increased mpg and engine wear....and it's cold for longer so no cabin heat!

There are far more people who have seen a dramatic change in temp displayed so daft not to. Jury is still out on the JTS engine.

wrinx

Cabin temperature may be the clincher :lol:

No increased mpg on mine due to the lpg. It doesn't care after the engine is over 20 degrees and fuelling is based on throttle position and lambda only. Engine wear is due to petrol wash, I think, again not a problem. Ah LPG. Such a boon :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts