Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Oh dear,negative negative negative.I read it and all i could read was bad points?Is it a poor example then?Doesnt look like one.Whats it got?might be standard but the possible buyer might not know it has climate contol(assuming P1 does),counter balanced engine which can return good MPG,2+2 sports car with superb handling and stunning looks,superb example for the year sort of stuff.Stop exercising the negatives,and scream about all the big and small positives.If you dont believe in it,why should anyone else?Its all about how you sell it mate,price is right.

hi unfortunately for sale is my alfa romeo gtv 2.0
Scrap this and say like,
For sale is an excellent Alfa Romeo GTV Twin Spark GTV 2.0 150 Bhp

and came with no service history
Could also stretch to
had history but i lost it in a house move!

Viewing is welcome and test drives can be give if cash is in my hand at the value we agree and assuming the person has insurance
Sorry mate,quite unwelcome sounding

Quick re write will do wonders.Not being picky,just adding my 2 pennies trying to help:thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
I lookked at yours and i think i emailed you but i admit i was put off by the advert.Arent you a million miles away too?! location will be almost part of it i would say...thats what ended it for me...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Pics don't help as the car is in the shade and it's not easy to get a good idea of the car's condition. Have you any with it in the light? The bright background has made the camera's exposure too dark for your car.

I'm all for honest selling, but I might choose to withhold the pic of the bolster and not mention the service history at all, as there's nothing positive to say about it. You could go into detail on those things when potential buyers make contact.

As GTVLee says, not good about the 'cash in hand when you test drive' comment. Who would agree a price before test driving? Not me. And whilst in this economic recession the cost of motoring is an issue, the mention of arranging petrol money if you have to travel to visit a prospective buyer sounds tight... If someone really wants you to travel to see them you can discuss sharing the cost of the petrol then.

D

·
0 Posts
Don't want to be critical, but as stated above the advert is quite poor, the text is all bulked together and the pictures aren't that great being stuck in the shade and all.

The advert does appear rather negative and I think you focus on the bad way too much. It's a shame I can't find my advert for my GTV when I sold it as that was quite a good advert with good pictures.

You need to focus on the good more than the bad mate and try and skim over the bad as quickly as possible.

Also, stick the car out in the open and take some pictures in the sunlight, the colour appears to be Atolli Blue like mine was, here's a few pictures of mine I had on the advert to give you a good idea:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV26-2.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV10.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV18.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV19.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/DSC00165.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/darrenedwardparke/GTV21.jpg

(Back then I was unaware of blackening up tyres, as a semi-professional valeter now I make sure to ALWAYS blacken up the tyres)

These are the types of picture you want to use, and also Pistonheads will be your best friend in selling a car, you can stick down upto 6 pictures and write as much as you want, all for free, it's how I've sold my last 10 cars in the space of about 2 years, :lol:

Can you not find a mate who has an old tape deck lying around you can throw in her mate? Any music is better than nothing when buying a car, :thumbs:

I reckon it's easily worth some £900+ mate, but I think it's the advert that lets it down. Also, every buyer hates having to leave a deposit, what if the car isn't as described? They've lost £100.

But in answer to your question, NO, your GTV is not too expensive, persevere mate and get a better advert up on Pistonheads. If you want I'll write the advert for you? I think the site's down due to maintainence at the moment, but I can type up a decent advert for you to copy and paste, it's REALLY easy to advertise on PH too.

I buy and sell on the side, so have gotten quite good at it now, :lol: I've made cash on every car I've bought in the last few years. Let me know mate, :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Pics don't help as the car is in the shade and it's not easy to get a good idea of the car's condition. Have you any with it in the light? The bright background has made the camera's exposure too dark for your car.

I'm all for honest selling, but I might choose to withhold the pic of the bolster and not mention the service history at all, as there's nothing positive to say about it. You could go into detail on those things when potential buyers make contact.

As GTVLee says, not good about the 'cash in hand when you test drive' comment. Who would agree a price before test driving? Not me. And whilst in this economic recession the cost of motoring is an issue, the mention of arranging petrol money if you have to travel to visit a prospective buyer sounds tight... If someone really wants you to travel to see them you can discuss sharing the cost of the petrol then.
Totally agree, you need to be alot more positive in the advert, use some more !'s and 'Thank you's etc etc etc, everyone like's a polite seller, :lol:

But, personally I would NEVER offer to take the car to someone so they can view it, it smarts of dodgy and in my book if they want to see it badly enough they'll come to you.

Don't ask them for cash before they test drive it either, if they seem like an 18 year old boy racer then don't allow them a test drive, if however it's a 50 year old bloke who shows up with his wife then I think you'll be safe. It's not a Subaru Impreza you are selling OR a Ferrari 599 mate. As long as they can provide some insurance then great, BUT in the advert just say 'Viewings and test drives more than welcome!', you can worry about the technicalities once they call you or come round.

Also, I wouldn't bother taking ANY pictures of the defects the car has, sure feel free to list them as you have to be honest, but there's no need to take close up snaps of them really. The car's 12 years old, it's not going to be brand new.

J

·
0 Posts
this time last year i was selling my GTV, same sort of mileage, and general condition, she went for £1500 and i had people who wanted to deal off Ebay even after it was sold....

I'm all for being 100% honest, but in context, first really go to town on the good points, you have serviced it, had the belts done and the variator, really go to town on how much of an expense that has save the potential new owner and list any other work done, you have receipts to prove.
Does it have all the keys? if it does really push that.

i would also recommend doing a classified ad, you can set your price and you don't get into the hassle of auctions and people, plus you get the chance to put 12 pictures up, alternatively if you want to keep it as an auction then put up as many as possible with the car looking as smart as possible and with all the picture correctly rotated.

At the end list the issues that you feel may be important, such as...

the stone chips, but point out that they are not excessive for its age/mileage
point out if you want that the seat has been repaired, you may not feel it is very good, but let someone else make their mind up for themself.

I'm sorry if all of this seems picky but when i buy a car from ebay i look at the ad, how is it written, what is the spelling like and the punctuation, believe it or not it speaks volumes about the person, something that has been slapped together, loads of mistakes and untidy leaves me to feel that this is how the car will be if i go to look at it...

If i was selling that i would still be looking to hold out for £1500 even in todays market, it looks to be a nice car that needs some TLC

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I normally list all of the cars plus points at the top, add a few good pictures, the list the not so good bits right at the bottom.

If you start off negative it doesn't look as good, as the others have said.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your replies. Do not worry about being critical im rubbish at trying to sell things on ebay and i know my advert was poor!

think i will relist at a lower starting bid off £650? i didnt get any emails about it at all, yeah i know location sucks but i cant do much about it.

think about something like this for the listing then
For sale is my Alfa Romeo GTV Twin Spark GTV 2.0 150 Bhp,

She has 118thousand on the clock. Excelent example for year. I have given it a full service air,oil,sparks, timing belt,balance belt, tensioners, varitiator, water pump, aux belt and rear discs and pads and new ht leads( receipts to prove it).Timing belt, and aux belt was done 1000miles ago. The original drivers seat had a bolster rip which has been repaired but is still not perfect as can seen by the picture there are a few stone chips on the bonnet as can be seen by the pictures and a little bit on the side of the car, again see picture.

She is a stunning looking 2+2 sports car with superb handling and being the counter balanced engine can return a good MPG. If anyone wants any more picture feel free to give me a message and can email you them. Mot until january and tax is until the end of July. Viewing is welcome to see as still a stunning looking car. I am located at AB43 Fraserburgh.

hi unfortunately appears the headunit that was in it has stopped working, if i use another headunit it works but the one with the car doesnt, sorry. Please feel free to get in contact on 0 7 5 2 5 8 3 9 2 6 2 if you want to see the car or email me. Thanks
oh and darren156 i think i might take you up on that offer if your not up to anything else.

if i can get an advert up soon and can get good pictures next time we have nice weather up here as i sorta need to sell her unfortunately.

D

·
0 Posts
Jay's bang on the money there. You see, if I'd seen your advert on eBay go for nothing I may have emailed you asking if you'd take £750 cash for it the following day and IF you'd have sold it to me I'd have waited for the V5 to come through then bang it straight up on Pistonheads and sold it for a few extra hundred quid.

I've done it quite a few times, I LOVE bad adverts, because from my point of view it gives me the chance to buy a car that's worth £1500 for £800 then go on to sell it for a much higher price.

I bought a Jag XJS 3.6 for £700, the advert on eBay was HORRENDOUS and I was the only bidder. When I got up there to Manchester he had extensive history, it had been wax oiled etc etc, it was a cracking car, but because of his crummy advert he only got £700 for it, I then sold it for £1150 down in Bristol a few months later.

It's all in the advert mate, :thumbs:

You need to speak more about the mechanical side of the car as well, does it pull strong through every gear, does the clutch feel good, is the gearbox strong? If the answer's yes then these points need to be put in the advert.

As said though, let me know if you need any help mate.

J

·
0 Posts
how about this.....

Welcome to my auction for my Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0

Whilst i have owned it i have had the following work carried out as part of it normal servicing:
Oil filter, Air filter, Spark plugs, and quality oil

In addition i have had the timing belt, auxillary belt, water pump and variator replaced recently with reciepts to prove, anyone who knows about Alfa Romeos will know that this an expensive so whoever buys the car will have the satisfaction of knowing it does not have to be done for a long time to come

Mot until January and tax is until the end of July

I have also replaced the rear discs and pads and ignition leads as well, it may seem that the car has demanded a lot of money be spent on it but bear in mind that the car is now 13 years old and a lot of these parts are natural wear and tear.

The engine is the 150BHP version and pulls very well it doesn't knock or make any strange noises, the 5 speed gearbox, like the engine is smooth and has no issues, mechanically it is in excellent condition.

the bodywork is Atoli Blue and has a few stonechips on it that are consistent with its are and mileage, the interior is half leather with Alfa Romeo script in the fabric inserts, at some point in the past there has been a repair on the drivers seat, please see picture number ***

She is a stunning looking 2+2 sports car with superb handling, being the counter balanced engine is incredibly smooth throughout the rev range and can return a good MPG. I have tried to be as honest as possible in my description, if you want any more pictures feel free to send me a message and i can email you them. Mot until january and tax is until the end of July

Now i have used a little poetic licence there, and if anything i have written was not the car then it would be prudent to delete, but it gives you an idea...

as for lowing the start price, don't do it, the vultures like Darren and i would spot it a mile off and go hunting for a bargain

D

·
0 Posts
Mate, try this on for size:

1997 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0i Twinspark
118,000 Miles
MOT Until January 2010
Taxed Until the end of July
Manual 5 Speed
Power Steering
Alloy Wheels
ABS
Electric Windows / Mirrors
Great Condition
Located in Fraserburgh, AB43
£1300 Or Nearest Offer

Up for sale is my 1997 Alfa Romeo GTV 2 Litre Twinspark, which I am having to sell due to the arrival of a company car.

The GTV comes with MOT until January 2010 and is taxed until the end of July meaning that she is ready to drive away.

It drives brilliantly, the 5 Speed Manual gearbox is smooth as is the clutch, the steering is sharp as is the handling etc. The 4 disc brakes work exactly as they should, and the engine has no knocks or rattles whatsoever, it really is a brilliant car that I've loved driving since I got it.

All of the electrics work exactly as they should, mirrors, windows, lights etc.

The car has just over 118,000 miles on the clock, which for a near on 13 year old car is hardly anything. It doesn't come with extensive history due to me losing it in a house move, but I do have the reciepts showing quite a lot of work I've recently had carried out such as:

*Full Service including filters and spark plugs
*Cambelt change including timing belt and aux belt (As well as all tensioners and idlers etc)
*Variator Change
*Water Pump change
*New Rear discs and pads
(The cambelt was done along with the aux belt less than 1000 miles ago, this work cost £700 including variator and water pump!)

Condition wise, as can be seen from the pictures, she looks superb, but there are a couple stone chips here and there. But to be fair it's nothing that retracts from the overall beauty of the car. She's Atolli Blue Metallic and really stands out in the crowd. There is some slight rust spots just coming through at the very bottom of the rear quarter just behind the door but it's nothing that stands out whatsoever and unless mentioned would probably not even be noticed.

The interior also looks great, apart from some wear to the drivers side bolster (Where they all go!) it's in cracking shape. The bolster has a had a repair done in the past so none of the inner fabric is showing through at all.

The GTV also comes with a 15" set of alloy wheels that are in great condition and the tyres have plenty of tread left.

As stated above, it drives terrific, but I have got to be honest and say it's possibly the best handling car I've owned. It just grips to the road like glue. The 2 Litre twinspark engine is superb and when floored it really does push you back in your seat, it just keeps on going and going! It also sounds fantastic, has a brilliant Italian meatiness to it.

Having disc brakes all round she stops really well, the ABS works just as it should etc. The clutch and gearbox are both great and it can slide straight into gear whatever speed/revs etc. (Doesn't suffer from the dreaded MAF fault!)

These cars are becoming very rare now and are set to become classics. Just looking at e-Bay and even on Pistonheads there are very few for sale, especially in this sort of condition.

Insurance wise I am paying £200 fully comp, and that's with breakdown cover, so they aren't bad on insurance at all.

It's a huge shame that I have to sell it, but can't afford the room out on the drive for two cars sadly.

I am after £1300 or nearest offer for her, and looking at some of the other GTV's for sale on here that seems like more than a fair price considering the condition, mileage and spec of mine.

Test drives and viewings are more than welcome.

Sensible offers will be accepted, but I am in no huge rush to get rid of the car whatsoever so please no time wasters and silly offers.

If you have any questions or require any more pictures etc please don't hesitate to get in touch via the contact information below.

The car is located at my home address in Fraserburgh, AB43.

Thank you!

Contact Info:
E-Mail:
Tel:

£1300 ONO

Obviously add any bits you feel you want to say, and take away any bits that don't apply, but selling a car is quite simple, you just use a set template and work around that.

If I were you I would try and buy a second hand little tape deck though, or get one for free, I have a few you could have but your'e miles away.

Just copy and paste that into your advert on ebay AND also use it on pistonheads mate and it will sell for over £1000, guaranteed. Take some better snaps as well, they always help, :thumbs:

But, Jay has used quite a few more positive bits than even my advert stated, so it would be good to combine the two. Trust me, potential buyers prefer too much information than not enough, that's why I always put mammoth write up's, just so I cover everything.

Let me know if you need anything else bud, :thumbs:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you both! pistons head ad Alfa Romeo : ALFA ROMEO GTV 2.0 TWIN SPARK you think i should put it up on ebay as well as sorta need to sell her as quickly as possible or you reckon piston heads get enough exposure?, i cant get another headunit should i mention about that?

thank you both if i ever meet you will buy you a few pints!!

D

·
0 Posts
Pistonheads has always done me well, if you get no response within the next few days then stick her up on eBay, :thumbs:

If you can though mate, add a few more pictures to the top, it's great having them at the bottom as well BUT if someone's just skimming PH looking for a GTV and quickly see you only have one snap up they might just think sod it and back up without bothering with your ad, I've done that a few times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts