Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I have a GT, came with facotry Bose system. I decided to repalce the front speakers, and got a set of used Focal P165 component speakers for the front doors.

These are 4ohm compared to the factory 2ohm, so were quite a bit quieter. No trouble, I just upped the F:R balance on the head-unit and turned the volume up to compensate. As a nice side-effect, this had the effect of turning the sub up too.

A few months/years later rear-left (passengers side) factory Bose coaxial speaker develops a crackle, that turned into a pop, that turned into a dead speaker. Not a problem, as I still had the 2 factory Bose speakers that I removed from the front doors. I replaced it, and everthing is/was working again.

A few more months/years later, the woofer on the front-right (drivers) side dies. Tweater appears to still be working fine, so crossovers and cables aren't suspected... I pick up a similar 4-ohm 165mm Focal woofer from another kit, fit it in place, and everything is OK again...

Fast forward to a few weeks ago front-left (passengers) side develops a crackle, pop, and dies 馃槨

So that's 3/4 speakers that have been killed now....

Is my mix and match 4-ohm in the front 2-ohm in the back causing problems? I was nder the impression that it's more risky to put lower ohm speakers in, as the amp may try to over-drive them?

Or, have I just been unlucky with a 1 factory speaker genuinly having a problem, and me being bitten by buying used Focal speakers from eBay in the first place?

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I've found yet another single 165mm 4-ohm focal woofer to replace the broken one up front, and now I'm wondering whether to try fitting a set of 4-ohm speakers to the rear to balance out the F:R impedance.

Registered
cant say i,m sure that driving 4 ohm speakers on an amp designed for 2 ohm speakers would give an issue.. as you say usually its the amp that suffers if you driving a too lower ohm load ....so maybe just the fact speakers are old.. i had a set or two go on me in the last few years .. bose amp isnt the best bit of kit .. removed mine a few yearrs ago now. would be better if factory speakers were all 2 ohm to get a set of focal k2's in the front ..would be louder too

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
K2's look nice, bit more expensive than I can justify at the moment though :(

For 拢200+ I could replace the head-unit with something that has decent a onboard set mosfet amplifiers and run some Hertz speakers straight from the head-unit. Not sure it's worth spending the money on something as nice as K2's if I'm going to run them with the factory HU and Bose amp?

Registered
depends i guess on what you can fin used .. i managed to find some morel elates for that money .. but agreed headunits upgrades and a small external amp would sound why better.. bose amps is poor.
problem i had then was stopping.. lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Well my replacement woofer arrived in the post - plugged it in, and nothing... So I dig out my factory Bose speaker and plug into the factory wiring loom - sound comes through fine... So amp and cables are absolutely fine up to the factory plug...
I poke about and find the cable terminals on my crossovers had worked loose... Ooops....

So I nipped them up tight. Tweeter burst to life, but my new woofer delivered a horrible and disappointing crackle... A little more poking and I see that the new woofer is actually f**ked... The adhesvie that holds the magnet to the speaker basket has failed, and the whole magnet has shifted sideways and pinched the voil-coil against the pole so the cone can't actually move at all... Only getting the high frequencies and scratchy voice coming through.... So I put my old woofer back, and it's now working fine...

So no, my Amp isn't killing speakers... I've had 1 Focal unit fail on me (the magnet adhesive let go on that one too...), 1 arrived pre-broken in the post, and 1 Bose speaker failed on me... Moral of the story, check your wiring before buying anything!

Registered
So glad you got it sorted.. i guessed the amps wasnt killing speakers as under driven.. really.. i hope you can get a refund on the new one broken in the post.. glad you got it sorted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts