Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I noticed as I was driving today that my car had started to make a squealing noise. When I got home, I opened the bonnet and left it idling for a while and the squeal was quite loud. It seemed to be coming from the cambelt, but I'm not entirely sure. I have included a video link and wanted to know if this had happened to anyone's Mito before?

It's a 1.4 16v 95hp engine. The car is a 60 reg, it's on about 53,990 miles and I don't think it has been replaced before.

https://youtu.be/-lpXek3e0J4

Usually, this wouldn't be too much of a problem, my family are pretty handy... but I'm in Bristol, which is about 100 miles away from home and all of the tools!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The belt you are seeing there is the auxiliary belt which runs the Aircon and alternator. The noise sounds like a bearing but as a check spray a little bit of WD40 on the belt as the engine is running and see if the noise goes away. If it does then it's the belt slipping, if it doesn't then it a bearing in either the tensioners alternator or air con compressor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belt you are seeing there is the auxiliary belt which runs the Aircon and alternator. The noise sounds like a bearing but as a check spray a little bit of WD40 on the belt as the engine is running and see if the noise goes away. If it does then it's the belt slipping, if it doesn't then it a bearing in either the tensioners alternator or air con compressor.
Thanks! It was starting to get dark when I got back but I'll have a good look tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise is nowhere near as bad as that today, although there is still a slight whine.
I'll have someone take a look as soon as I can. I love my Mito and don't want anything to get progressively worse!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Use water instead of WD40. If sound changes it's the belt slipping, and water will evaporate

·
Registered
278 Posts
Anyway, a drop of wd-40, water or belt grip spray is just a way to test if the noise comes from the belt slipping. If the noise goes away with those, you'll need to adjust the tension or change the belt. Sprays or water are not a fix for this problem, just a test.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Exactly, and anyhow WD40 is so light that it has almost no lubricating qualities to speak of but its excellent for silencing a noisy belt for a few minutes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, a spray of WD40 made it settle down a little. I've ordered a cam belt kit and going to have it checked over as soon as I can!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts