Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that the 3.2L V6 engine in my 159 is produced by GM.
Can anyone tell me how closely related the engine is to the standard V6 installed in an Australian made Holden (Opel or Voxel I think) Commodore?
I assume the heads and valve gear are different? as I don't think the Commodore has 24v variable timing. I also think it has a larger displacement of 3.6L
But is the water pump and other bottom end stuff the same?
Parts for a very common Australian car would be much cheaper than a European import.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The block is the same type as a Commodore V6 which is available in many different capacities e.g. 3.0 and 3.6. They are all manufactured in Port Melbourne afaik. I very much doubt anciliries like water pumps will be compatable.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't worry. There is talk Alfa V6s will be powered by Ferrari engines in future. Same V6 Ferrari will power Maserati V6s also.

So there will be no more shame over the heritage of the V6s in your Alfas anymore.

If anyone asks what V6 it is just say its a Ferrari V6 built by Ferrari in Italy.

Enough said :D

·
0 Posts
I discovered that the timing chains, tensioners and sprockets are all compatible. Engine used in some US tanks as well.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes

I just bought a v6 a couple of days ago, I've been looking for around 5 to 6 weeks for a good one and reading up extensively on the car during that time.

The general theme I was getting is that the service interval (millage between changes) for the oil change is too long and oil should be changed much more frequently.

Not doing this can lead to an increased chance of the timing chain to stretch and the EML to come on and big bills to fix....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coil Packs

How about the coild packs?
I just paid $350.00AU for a single, but I see on ebay I can get 6 to fit a Commodor for that price. But are they the same?
HOLDEN COMMODORE GM GENUINE VZ WL COIL VZ v6 COIL PACK 3.6L VZ V6 IGNITION COIL $320.00.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ooh good question that would be interesting, some people have the old 3.2 taken out to 3.8 but not sure that you can do this on the new holden block due to casting. Thickness and the ability to re size the bore or as per your suggestion so keen to know this also.

Mj

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok my misfire/ stutter still exists. My next operation will be MAF clean, and possibly injector service.
Do we know if the injectors are the same as GM/Holden?
How about the in tank fuel pump and filter?
Or MAP and MAF sensors?
I also have an oil pressure switch fault. Is that the same as VZ Holden Commodore?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok,
It seems I have now got the dreaded stretched chain syndrome.
So looks like an engine out job.
So not sure I can be bothered pulling it out, just to change the chains.
Would be nice to put a fresh power plant in.
Was thinking of building up a motor then swapping it out. But don't want to build the wrong block.
159 V6s are rare and expensive in Australia, but GM Commodores (3.6 version) and Captiva (3.2 version) are common as muck.
But will they bold straight in?
People above say heavily modified by Alfa, and heads have been extensively reworked. But I can't believe they get a factory unit then pull it apart to rework it.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
575 Posts
You will have less power and torque. I don't know about the commodores, but I think that quite a few of them get timing chains replaced at around 150,000 kms. I would think you might as well repair the engine you have now, than put a 'new' one in. Either way you are going to be removing the engine from car, and it will be a big job. I don't know if it will work. With the computers, the engine layout etc.

What sort of resale price, or sale ability would a 159 with a commodore engine command over there. That is if you are looking to sell the car in the future. I saw, in NZ a HSV Grange for sale. It was cheap, but because someone had put a 3.6 V6 in it. To me, half the point of buying and HSV is for the motor. Without the V8, it's just not really worth it, might as well buy a Statesman. Just like when I think about an Alfa. Half of it is for the motor and the other half for the styling.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok,
It seems I have now got the dreaded stretched chain syndrome.
So looks like an engine out job.
So not sure I can be bothered pulling it out, just to change the chains.
Would be nice to put a fresh power plant in.
Was thinking of building up a motor then swapping it out. But don't want to build the wrong block.
159 V6s are rare and expensive in Australia, but GM Commodores (3.6 version) and Captiva (3.2 version) are common as muck.
But will they bold straight in?
People above say heavily modified by Alfa, and heads have been extensively reworked. But I can't believe they get a factory unit then pull it apart to rework it.
Thoughts?
not an engine out job, not that hard to do and do it yourself for about £700

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not an engine out job, not that hard to do and do it yourself for about £700
Thanks Vespasion,
You think you can pull the front corer off and get enough room to see what you are doing to get a new set in?
If so, I will get my father onto it ASAP. He is a Jaguar mechanic and has spent his life doing chains on V12s so loves a challenge.

These parts are a direct swap from the Holden Commodore, so not extraordinarily expensive.

Perhaps I was not clear in my post above. I don't want to put a foreign powerplant in, I just want a reasonable priced donor for rebuilding the same as what's in their.
I believe it is a GM unit, most likely identical to others. The others are cheaper and more common in Aus.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine
Under 3.2.
Then I can machine and rebuild and swap out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts