Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as if a blowout at 80mph on the M4 wasn't bad enough, having swerved across 3 lanes of traffic to the side of the road where I stood inspecting the damage, what do I see coming up the slip road?

The exact same model (156), exact same colour (silver), and.. yep, the exact same number plates.

Chances? one in what, 20 million?

Scary stuff. Anyway, so I phone the police, who couldn't have been less interested, so I now have to phone the DVLA. Any advice on how to prove mine is the genuine car and not the clone?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hope there's no horror story in the making. Pleased for you that the blowout was controlled and you're OK. Right, I'm off to start another driveshaft boot replacement on the old Pug. Relief for you all for a wee bit!!!!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
:eek: Not good !! :eek:

did the other driver spot you ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know tell me about it. I don't know if he did see me - he drove literally right by me and the car was pretty obvious, broken down and all, so could have easily spotted me. Apparently the DVLA will change my plates, so could all work out ok!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
it should be fairly straight forward to prove the identity of your motor though dude... what with VIN and engine No's etc etc !! :)

The other driver might be in for a bit of a shock though eh ?? :p

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
So, as if a blowout at 80mph on the M4 wasn't bad enough,...................Anyway, so I phone the police, who couldn't have been less interested......

You should have told them you were doing 10mph over the limit...they would have been there in a flash! Obviously it would have been to book you for speeding and not to try and find the clone (and possibly the real criminals in it who would be driving around without any insurance, test and may even possibly have cloned the car for more sinister purposes!) but at least you would have got a response:cheese:

Glad you are OK though as a blowout is a scary, scary thing on the motorway (had one many years ago and it left a nasty stain :eek: ). I also hope everything goes OK with the clone issue.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Sorry to hear about the blow-out and the clonning :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
shame about the blowout, thankfully your ok:)
but to have a "clone" of your car drive past you is spooky to say the least:eek:
hope its sorted out soon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Huh! what a coinscidence! What if you didnt have a blowout and you had seen him later on down the road! What do you do! Try and stop him? I probably would! Are you sure it wasnt one letter out or something?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad you are OK.

You couldn't write this for a book. Perhaps you can pick a good number this time. I got AFA for my last three letters. What do expect from a Police force that relies on Speed cameras do it job.
It all down to Institutionalised bullying.

Nick

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's a theory.

What if it was YOU only miuntes behind yourself in some sort of existentialist parallell universe stylee.

Maybe the slightly past you avoided the blow out, but got to his/your destination only to find that a bank robbery was taking place over the road. Whereupon, the criminals, looking for a get away vehicle dragged him/you out of the car at gunpoint and drove off at high speed. Meanwhile, as the police head to the seen (why they couldn't get to you instead) they speed through the town and hit him/you killing him/you instantly.

Think how lucky you are now having that blow-out!

Too much?;)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Here's a theory.
What if it was YOU only miuntes behind yourself in some sort of existentialist parallell universe stylee.
Maybe the slightly past you avoided the blow out, but got to his/your destination only to find that a bank robbery was taking place over the road. Whereupon, the criminals, looking for a get away vehicle dragged him/you out of the car at gunpoint and drove off at high speed. Meanwhile, as the police head to the seen (why they couldn't get to you instead) they speed through the town and hit him/you killing him/you instantly.
Think how lucky you are now having that blow-out!
Too much?;)
confused-8.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting theory... I wouldn't be too surprised if it was true though, felt like I was in a film or something!

Thanks guys appreciate your comments. DVLA's systems are down "for at least a week" so they can't run any checks on specific vehicles.

Great!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Apparently the DVLA will change my plates, so could all work out ok!
Glad you survived the blow out to tell the story - Lucky!

From your comment it would suggest that your car is the clone - Were DVLA in any way surprised by your query?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Glad you survived the blow out to tell the story - Lucky!

From mattmedias comment it would suggest that your car is the clone - Were DVLA in any way surprised by your query?
I would say his comment is correct, as neather him or the DVLA knows where this clone is, so it would save mattmedia gettin speeding fines or the like in the mean time untill the car is found

1 - 20 of 26 Posts