Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out in the snow & ice yesterday (17 hours on the road, when I calm down I'll give details) the ABS system got a great deal of use.

But after the first few times braking on snow & ice the ABS light came on and the ABS stopped operating. Which is of course exactly what you want in those conditions, a locked wheel on snow stops quite a bit faster than an ABS equipped car.

After getting on good roads with decent grip the system restored itself.

This happened a couple of times. Though this morning the ABS light is still on.

So my question is this.

Do our cars have a super intelligent system that detects say, a lot of ABS use and sub zero temperature to switch ABS off. Or is my system just going up the creek?

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Hmm, I did quote some ABS testing myself, and it works always, even when used in the cold & on snow ...

I guess the fact that the light is on, says it all : some fault :confused:

T

·
0 Posts
got the same problem - if really ice it sometimes disables itself.

have you check all the fluids and stuff?

what i also found out is that if your tryes are unevenly balanced/or some flatter then other - it also effects the system. (read something about it in forum as well)

going to stealer on tuesday and have him look at this as well - will post results.
T.

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by T.P.:
<strong>going to stealer on tuesday and have him look at this as well - will post results.
T.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is your dealer so bad that you dubbed it a "stealer"?!?!? :confused: eek!

Cheers,

Ant

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by harryf:
<strong>, a locked wheel on snow stops quite a bit faster than an ABS equipped car.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Could you explain/analyze that?

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by harryf:
<strong>, a locked wheel on snow stops quite a bit faster than an ABS equipped car.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Could you explain/analyze that?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Isn't this the same as the having to switch off ASR while driving with snow-chains around your tyres? If the wheel spin, they get better grip in snow.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by harryf:
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Could you explain/analyze that?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If a wheel locks on gravel or snow, as it slides, a pile of gravel/snow builds up in front of it and slows the car down. A rotating wheel rolls over the top. Audi used to put a switch on their ABS system so you had a choice, but now they get sued if some great ignorenti presses the wrong button and crashes. So, no switch anymore.
:mad:
On the 145 (no fancy stability thing) you could just pull the fuse out of the ABS and be at one with your motor car.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The explanation above is spot on.

But stop press news is that the ABS did reset itself again and is now fine. So I think it was just freaked by the freak road conditions and no traction at all.

T

·
0 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by T.P.:
<strong>going to stealer on tuesday and have him look at this as well - will post results.
T.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is your dealer so bad that you dubbed it a "stealer"?!?!? :confused: eek!

Cheers,

Ant</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well....i honestly think all dealer = stealers - at least here. If you want something right - do it yourself.

and i'm not just talking about alfa dealers here - i've seen GM mechanics that hava education as a tv repairman, i've been on Ford stealer that wanted to charge more then 1 000 EUR for a job that took less then 10 eur in a another place (and also and official dealer who found that instead an faulty item the item needed to be tightened)....

dealer suck - sorry!

T.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My ABS works fine in the snow, too fine though. Pulled the fuse out and it's far better. My mate nearly piled into the back of a car who slammed there brakes on in the snow. His ABS had over twice the stopping distance in the fresh fallen snow. We ended up overtaking the car as we braked.

Mr T

·
Registered
558 Posts
Trying to get ABS to tell the difference between ice or snow would be nice but very difficult to implement.
ABS saved my butt once when I was admiring a 911 going the other way and nearly ran into a steel paperbank.
It was very icy and the ABS was clicking like mad, but stopped me a couple of feet short of hitting it

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kristian Benning:
<strong>the ABS was clicking like mad, but stopped me a couple of feet short of hitting it</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I tried to stop on some diesel, and my ABS clicked me all the way into the back of a wagon. The driver could not believe I hit him as I had so much room to stop. I even had time to come off the brakes and put them back on, but the ABS was having none of it. Without it I am convinced I would have stopped.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think if I'm correct in a straight line in good conditions ABS slightly extends the braking distance compared to a locked wheel, but of course it's a different case in the wet (when a lot of accidents happen) and it allows you steering control to avoid what you're about to hit - in theory.

Plus incredibly in a crisis some people panic and either don't brake, or come off the brakes. So ABS helps there by keeping control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts