Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps. I have had a irritating rattle for some time now. I crawled under Alfred this morning to find a loose exhaust bracket which i have now removed. Whilest I was under there I found that my oil leak is back and gearbox fluid rolling under the bell. I have tightened the gearbox bolts a quarter turn, hopefully that will do it, but to top it all I went for a drive and guess what? The rattle or vibration is still there. After closer inspection it seems to be coming from the left side of the engine, where the belts and pulleys are. Thinking about it, it does sound like a loos pulley or something. it happens at about 2500 - 3000rpm reved in idle and when driving. Any body have any advice on what to look out for when i remove the timing belt covers. Hopefully its nothing to serious.

Thanks to everyone who reads this.

Should probably mention that the belt was done at 73k and it is now on 116k.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Errrrr. I would highly recommend that you change the cambelt now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant afford it. I have M.O.T end of may and tax end of june. We are looking into replacing the car as I write this. Although I love this car.

·
Vendor
45,307 Posts
43k miles on a TS belt is good going, the change interval is 3 years or 36k. When was the belt done?

It'd probably be cheaper to break your car for spares and buy another than to fix two oil leaks & change a cambelt, but thats not really the point is it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was done 4 years ago. We have already talked about buying another 156, personaly I think thats the best idea. But the women wants a smaller car to drop the insurance and save lots of money. But should us blokes listen to women or is that just starting a whole other debate.

H

·
0 Posts
Cant afford it. I have M.O.T end of may and tax end of june. We are looking into replacing the car as I write this. Although I love this car.
Your gamble is if you carry on using the car the belt might snap, costs to repair this are pretty much widely known on here.

Its your choice to gamble.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If it was mine,I would get it checked.When you know what is actually wrong with it you can then decide. You will know whats wrong with it and what its going to cost to get it fixed. Buying another unknown does not mean you are going to buy a fault free motor. You are close enough to take Smaky up on his offer and then make your mind up.

ps dont listen to the woman:tut:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Smaky, but we have decided to replace the car. I bought Alfred from a friend for £50 as a bit of a project. so far it has had 4 tyres £160, off side upper wishbone £179, cooling system approx £170, stainless backbox £150, maf £66, crankshaft sensor £90, spark plugs £74, filters £20, spray paint approx £50, plus other miner things. If a trade it in I should get most of it back, I hope. It still needs lots of t.l.c torn driver seat, torn carpet, off side wing mirror, boot struts and seal, sunroof leaks, near side upper wishbone, fluid leaks, brake pads and front discs in near future, cam belt and whatever else I dont yet know about. Plus the £2880 a year insurance premium it doesn't seem economical to keep it on. We are now looking into a zafira. What a jump. Im really looking forward to this - YEAH RIGHT.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
£2,880.00 a year insurance!!!

How old are you, 4 ?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts