Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
4K will take time to bed in - the real driver for adoption is going to be broadcast rather than purchased/rented media (in the uk specifically Freeview and Sky).

We still have some way to go in this regard as Sky HD boxes for example still output at 1080i resolution despite the fact that just about every decent sized tv on sale is 1080p capable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Im sure I sound stupid, but whats the difference between i and p?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i=interlaced, where it well refresh your screen 30 times per second. (odd rows, and then the even rows) it refreshes the rows that make up the pixels on your screen, all 1080 of them. this is what gives you the constant moving picture.

p=progressive, where it refreshes all 1080 rows at the same time, thus working twice as fast as 1080i (so 1080p would be 60 times per second). this gives you a better picture and less pixelation in action scenes.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've got a fair few. But since I've got lovefilm I just rent the blu-rays by post. I will not watch a film I think is good via streaming cause the drop in quality compared to blu-ray is criminal.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I am just having classics, sci-fi and all the marvel films on blu-ray. Anything else can be streamed.

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
I cant remember the last time I bought a DVD, can you still record onto a blank one like you used to? especially if you get one from netflix? or is that as bad as just watching it online?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Netflix is ok, i use it and so do quite a few on here, dont think you can save it onto a disc but not sure on that one.

·
Super Moderator
86,154 Posts
I saw Sky advertising that "Elysium" is now available on Sky Store which includes an extra 30 minutes or so of content, it's the first time I've seen anything like that mentioned.
Do Netflix, Film4OD or any of the other streaming/download providers give access to any extra content ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I cant remember the last time I bought a DVD, can you still record onto a blank one like you used to? especially if you get one from netflix? or is that as bad as just watching it online?
Would be more trouble than it's worth to copy from Netflix. Reason being is that you would have to copy in real time i.e. set the DVD recorder to record the stream directly from the TV and that's assuming even that the tv would allow its Smart gubbins to be transmitted to an external output. Then on top of that you would get a low quality copy with no digital sound as HDCP would no doubt prohibit you copying over HDMI.

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
Would be more trouble than it's worth to copy from Netflix. Reason being is that you would have to copy in real time i.e. set the DVD recorder to record the stream directly from the TV and that's assuming even that the tv would allow its Smart gubbins to be transmitted to an external output. Then on top of that you would get a low quality copy with no digital sound as HDCP would no doubt prohibit you copying over HDMI.

I didnt mean netflix, i meant Lovefilm - they still send you a DVD.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I didnt mean netflix, i meant Lovefilm - they still send you a DVD.
Well thats between you and your conscience.

It's remarkably easy to copy a DVD to a digital file either in full disc form or as a compressed mp4/divx etc file in a matter of minutes using a modern pc/mac. Blu Rays take a little more effort but still eminently achievable.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I saw Sky advertising that "Elysium" is now available on Sky Store which includes an extra 30 minutes or so of content, it's the first time I've seen anything like that mentioned.
Do Netflix, Film4OD or any of the other streaming/download providers give access to any extra content ?
Never seen it advertised for either.

·
Super Moderator
86,154 Posts
I think it's possibly the fist time Sky have offered the option, it's only available via On Demand & is listed as the Bonus Edition.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Good idea, I started a months free trial at love film, not all of there films are in HD.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts