Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i have quite a few blu rays in my collection and was wondering if anyone else has a collection or do you just download or stream nowadays?

I do like having a collection of blu rays as it looks good in my bookcase.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've got a BR collection. It's a tangible thing, which you own.

And frankly, if you download stuff, is it actually full quality, with the 5.1 sound and everything?

·
Registered
37,521 Posts
Threw away (gave to charity) 3 video tapes today - the final remains of a fair few. Currently cannot even be arsed to connect up a DVD player. I've never bought a Blu Ray, don't think I ever will.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking along the material possession lines to.

Symon i havent brought a cd for years, i use itunes for my music.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I have mostly purchased music and films but we use LoveFilm for on-line streaming. Probably wouldn't buy electronic versions unless they were much cheaper - purchased media is usually when it's been reduced and that happens less in the e-realm it seems. I reckon I've generally paid less and those I've bought through Amazon have been kindly transferred to e-format for me (though I still intend having all of the albums stored on the home server, the CD acts as the only other backup so I can store that elsewhere in years to come.)

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have mostly purchased music and films but we use LoveFilm for on-line streaming. Probably wouldn't buy electronic versions unless they were much cheaper - purchased media is usually when it's been reduced and that happens less in the e-realm it seems. I reckon I've generally paid less and those I've bought through Amazon have been kindly transferred to e-format for me (though I still intend having all of the albums stored on the home server, the CD acts as the only other backup so I can store that elsewhere in years to come.)
Tip. Backup your home server to Google play music. You can store up to 20,000 tracks for free

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
They are too expensive, a blueray film will be about £15, I can just stream it online for free.

Im not too bothered about the full sound or blacks being fully black rather than slightly grey, i watch a film for the film not the colours?

If its a film i really want to see i will pay to go to the cinema, if its one i was never too fussed about i will stream online for free

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are too expensive, a blueray film will be about £15, I can just stream it online for free.

Im not too bothered about the full sound or blacks being fully black rather than slightly grey, i watch a film for the film not the colours?

If its a film i really want to see i will pay to go to the cinema, if its one i was never too fussed about i will stream online for free
Pretty much summed up the fears of the film industry and also why the home AV enthusiasts market is struggling so much all in one post there.

Just my opinion but legal issues aside I don't understand why people are prepared to accept the huge drop in quality which usually comes with free streaming just as I don't get why you'd buy a compressed mp3 file if you really love music.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
Pretty much summed up the fears of the film industry and also why the home AV enthusiasts market is struggling so much all in one post there.

Just my opinion but legal issues aside I don't understand why people are prepared to accept the huge drop in quality which usually comes with free streaming just as I don't get why you'd buy a compressed mp3 file if you really love music.

sometimes the quality is quite bad, but if its that bad i wont watch it and find another stream. More often than not ive managed to find DVD quality streams so i can watch it no problems. I always avoid the ones which you can tell it was recorded in the cinema because they really are bad quality.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sometimes the quality is quite bad, but if its that bad i wont watch it and find another stream. More often than not ive managed to find DVD quality streams so i can watch it no problems. I always avoid the ones which you can tell it was recorded in the cinema because they really are bad quality.
Isn't annoying when people can't make a proper job of copyright infringement for you ;)

·
Registered
14,827 Posts

·
Super Moderator
85,952 Posts
As for a Blu-ray collection, I've got a good few especially for films that I'll watch again & again (I might even own some of them on DVD already)
The bonus of owning them on disc (especially triple-play/special editions) is that you'll get all the extras, sometimes multiple cuts/branching as well as multiple soundtracks etc.

If it's not a film I want to see in a hurry or one I'm not bothered about seeing the extras etc I'll rent (on disc not digital download) it or watch in on Sky eventually.

·
Super Moderator
85,952 Posts
And to receive it you need a consistent 15Mbps. Way beyond what I can get.
Same here, not to mention the fact the whole 4K TV thing will be a bit of a chicken & egg thing for a fair while yet I'd say.
I've no intention of upgrading my HD TV anytime soon.

·
Registered
41,386 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Isn't annoying when people can't make a proper job of copyright infringement for you ;)

If you don't want to pay, don't watch it... I have little time for thieves, especially if they go on the hunt for the best way to steal something :p And before it's mentioned, I'm not saying I agree with costs of watching/listening to something at times... but then I think it's a reflection of modern society - if I can't afford something I don't steal it or buy it on credit (except for the house because that's an "essential"), I save up for it. If I don't want to pay then I don't want it enough. If a TV channel (ad-supported or otherwise) wants to display it for "free", legally, then I might watch it (think this should be in the rant room lol ;) )

1 - 20 of 55 Posts