Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just found out my gearbox is beyond repair so new one needed these are the cost of repair bearing in mind that the car cost less then £500 and i've spent about £1500 on it so far

clutch kit £141
gearbox £64.99
delivery £49.99
labour £370 (so far)
misc £30

total £656

is it worth fixing ???

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Sykes, you could replace the gearbox yourself, its not as difficult as you may think, i would ignore the manual as regards the subframe removal as that is the hardest bit and then follow the rest and 1st time attempting i reckon 2-3 days max would have a gearbox out and a replacement back in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would do it myself but the alfa garage already has the car apart thinking that it was the first motion seal im just torn cause i dont want to get rid off her but on the other hand its ****ing me off one repair after another

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It depends on your situation ..if you are a DIY nut like me.. constantly waiting for something to go wrong as an excuse to get the tools out.. then yea it's worth fixing.. but if you are tired of paying one garage bill after another.. then understandably, you're pi***d off.

Way I see it there's three options

Be a nutter/anorak/train spotter like me..and many others on here..

Pay a lot more money for a newer and 'maybe' more reliable car. Don't be conned by expensive, shiney, toshed up. valeted bangers that are really just the same tired old car underneath..

Do the 'bangernomics' thing.. buy them cheap.. run them into the ground.. scrap them..

my rule is.. once it's sorted.. maintenance/depreciation 5p/mile ish max.. not including fluids, tyres, filters, if its costing more than that.. time for a change..
if you buy one of these cheap.. and you want to keep it.. expect to spend a couple of grand getting it up to standard..

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
At the risk of sounding rude, what the heck did you expect for £500? It's not a Vauxhall Corsa. If you have spent that much since, putting things right, you may he close to a fairly good car. Bite the bullet, its pretty much worthless as it is.

K

·
0 Posts
If I'd spent £500 and that was my first bill I'd be tempted to cut my losses but when it owes you £1500 I don't see how you can do anything but fix it. As it is it's worth scrap value plus the garage will want paying for their work so far. Even if you decide you don't want it and sell it, that big wad of receipts will boost its value massively.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
If I'd spent £500 and that was my first bill I'd be tempted to cut my losses but when it owes you £1500 I don't see how you can do anything but fix it. As it is it's worth scrap value plus the garage will want paying for their work so far. Even if you decide you don't want it and sell it, that big wad of receipts will boost its value massively.
It wont. It might make it the more desirable of the non runners, but value wise will have little effect. I'm amazed that people think you can buy a £500 Alfa and not expect large-Ish bills.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It depends on your situation ..if you are a DIY nut like me.. constantly waiting for something to go wrong as an excuse to get the tools out.. then yea it's worth fixing.. but if you are tired of paying one garage bill after another.. then understandably, you're pi***d off.

Way I see it there's three options
if you buy one of these cheap.. and you want to keep it.. expect to spend a couple of grand getting it up to standard..
Well said :thumbs:

Half the problem seems to be that in England, the car has reached the status of a disposable consumer object. Like a toaster, or laptop computer. Over here or in Australia, where GTVs are rare and expensive and people have less money, you get it fixed.

If I lived in England I really don't know what car I'd own...

-Alex

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had my car for two years and knew i would be spending a large amount on it i do most of the work myself if something needs changing it gets changed regardless the reason this has got on my nerves so much is the fact that its so close to christmas and money is tight this month and this is the first time it has ever gone in to a garage and i love my car to bits i have decided to fix her but the problem im having now is the company i bought the second hand box off is having trouble getting someone to deliver to the isle of man

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Good attitude.. If you can.. walk away from it until after Christmas.. you'll feel better about it then.. :)

If I ever have a breakdown I get the car delivered to my house.. chill out for a bit and then
I decide what happens next.. not a garage..

And look on the bright side.. you'll be getting a brand new clutch..
All for about the same labour costs..

·
Administrator
23,038 Posts
Fix it - youi've spent £2k on buying and repairs so far - as others have said it is turning into a half way decent car.
As posted elsewhere I have just spent over £1k in repairs on my S reg GTV with 158k miles on it. Touch wood it is running as well as ever and I know from what I have had done over the last 7 years of ownership that it is basically sound.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'd bite the bullet anfd get it sorted , I always estimate at least £1k for bills during the year in the past for years it been just below that , so after you get this work done & touch wood you should be sorted for a while , just keep looking at it in the drive way or car part then look at the other cars you could have bought for the same money and realise what a future classic you have .

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I've got a gearbox, but don't know what it will cost to ship it over the water;)

Give me a shout on 07976 384980 if I can help.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well said :thumbs:

Half the problem seems to be that in England, the car has reached the status of a disposable consumer object. Like a toaster, or laptop computer. Over here or in Australia, where GTVs are rare and expensive and people have less money, you get it fixed.

If I lived in England I really don't know what car I'd own...

-Alex
Are you sure? You can now get a GTV TS for $5k... not expensive, but certainly rare. That can only mean one thing, economic write off the very minute it goes bad! (with the gearbox, or engine, that is)

Not only that, it also means if you buy a GTV you are stuck with it. I don't want to sell mine, but if I had to, I don't think I'd be able to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts