Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 147 blew up last night, scattering engine parts down the southbound side of the A1...

My options are stick another engine in it, sell it as is, or break it.

I don't fancy going to the trouble/expense of replacing the engine, so I'm wondering if it's worth breaking it for parts or just cutting my losses and sell it as a non-runner?

Am I likely to get significantly more breaking it, and are any parts particularly sought after / worth selling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sorry to hear that mate, I would put it on sale first before breaking it but I wouldn't know how much it's worth though.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There are 1.6 litre 147s on eBay with engines running for £495. Engine isn't that hard to replace if you have a hoist and a garage.

In theory it's probably worth more in parts but it depends on how long you can wait for items to sell. I broke a 166 a couple of years ago and got decent money over about 9 months but the engine/gearbox were fine and it had a leather interior.

TBH I would strip off what you can - mirrors/lights/wheels etc. and with the rest in. With scrap metal prices you should get £150+ for the shell.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Unless its got leather, nice alloys and a working engine then i'm afraid its worth very little either broken or as a damaged repairable.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Chris is about right......I break them for a living and although the front end parts sell, most other bits are pretty slow moving......if you have time and space, break it yourself...if not, sell it on (Ebay etc) for £300 or so......

Or stick a second-hand engine at about £300 or so in it ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I figured that would probably be the case.
I think I'll just stick it on ebay and see what happens. If I get £300 I'll be happy enough.

Just for giggles, here's a picture of my crankcase where presumably one of the rods made it's escape:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here's me thinking it was all part of the Alfa ownership experience :D

I was actually taking it fairly steady at the time, and never really thrashed it.
I'd even topped up the oil before I set off :rolleyes:

Anyways I sold her to a breaker this morning, so it's farwell from me.
Thanks to everyone who's helped me during my brief time on the forum :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I've heard of more than a few throwing a rod and probably a similar number dropping valves. Don't know what causes it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts