Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week, has probably seen my alfa go from bad to worse. Just before xmas my 1.6 ts started sounding like a diesel. Self diagnostic im guessing it needs a new timing valve, not an expensive part but while its off might as well change the cam belt. Few enough i thought, then in this last week the rear fog, front side light and also air bag light turned on. Checked all the bulbs and they seem ok. Now today the "Motor Control Failure" light turned on and it ground to a fault. Also I seem to loose 3 and 4th gear and the gear stick no longer returns to the centre when you take it out of gear... (im guessing this is a gear linkage)

To be fair to the alfa I paid about £1k for it and its done me a year of pretty floorless motoring. Do you think its worth even getting it looks at or do you think it will simply cost too much to repair?? :(

G

·
Well if you do get shot, can I have the water bottle cap please? :p

And if it's got leather interior and it's a 3 door, I could be very interested.

·
Registered
735 Posts
yeah, Im pretty keen on the seats, too. do you have some pics, maybe?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its a shame to see any alfa go... But, on the economy side, you do have a point - for a 1k you really made most of her. I would go for diagnosis and calculate all the costs... If it gets too much, just do as you planned. But, maybe you can sort her out for a small amount...

G

·
Ask yourself A what it's worth as it is (not a lot),what it would cost to put right, and what else you could buy for the sum of A+B that won't need a load of work.

People will tell you that spending £500 on a £750 car makes no sense but it does if it provides you with another year's motoring. Whilst you can pick up cars for £500 they aren't usually perfect.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
I am sure if you put it on ebay and mentioned the faults you would get close to £1000 for it anyway.

When you bought it, you got it very cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts