Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I was replacing the idler on the cambelt of my 16v 1.9 jtd 156 I notice that the belt had loosened slightly. So I retensioned it back to its correct position. Since then I had to adjust it back to slightly slack ( When I say slack I mean the arrow on the tensioner is just below the circle mark) as one of the pulleys or pumps on the cam belt started making a huge knackered bearing noise. That wah wah wah noise. Now its more noticeable in its slackened position. I've listened to it with the covers and aux belt off and can't tell if its the water pump or the high pressure fuel pump As the noise revebs along the side of the engine. Both look ok with no leaks or marks by either of them. Is there a way to work out which one is on the way out?

Sorry for all this long guff but I had to explain how I got to the conclusion I got to. Oh and i've read the thread about 16v jtd waterpumps but mines done 100000 so surely it would have been changed???

And breathe!!!! lol

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Even with a million miles on the clock the waterpump wouldn't have been changed unless it showed signs of failure at the time you had the belt off - very unlikely. I'd change it ASAP and then worry about the low chance of it being something else.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
dsiconnectt eh AUX belt to see if the noise disappears.

M

·
0 Posts
you should not retension the cam belt as you should replace it and tensioner etc. but the noise could be standard belt moan...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I had the aux belt off and ran it up. I've got a water pump on order. Should be here tomorrow. Its not belt whine and as I only put the belt on 3000 miles ago and I know what that sound like. It seemed like a waste of a belt to just get another one so quick.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
my car is droning at low speeds but that either the alternator or power steering coz with the aux off the droone goes away

1 - 6 of 6 Posts