Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right lads heres the story .my 2.0 156 has no power from start ..a feckin fiesta would have no problems passin me out until she gets going at around 3000 revs and then she is only ok ....she has not been great for a while now and the only thing stopping me buying a new maf is the price of it ...cant afford to throw that kinda money away and find out its not the problem ..also she sounds a bit louder as well ...o2 sensors are ok according to scan but longterm fuel trim bank 2 is above 20 % ...that not good ...cleaned the throttle body did the reset ..cleaned all connectors and checked pipes for air leaks ....
so i,ll pay for the maf if anyone can tell me that it is the culprit ..
so what ye think guys
thanks
paul:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no holes in pipe after the maf...gonna have to bring to garage tomorrow ..gulp...and christmas comin..****

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
i had a similar prob and turned outto be the timing/crank sensor. Cant remeber exactly which. Got it replaced and car drove like new ever since

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey actually took her for a spin there and she will not go above 3000 revs and only reaches 60mph and thats it. the fiestas flying by

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
yeh start no problem but in fairness it would go beyond 3000 so prob a different fault. Now that you mention not going over 3000 revs I did hear of that before, you might be looking in the right place. Have you checked the throttle valves and any sensors in the air system?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
My old 166 gave the new owner a bit of gip that sounded similar but his issue was an RPM sensor (that's what he said anyway!)

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's a quick test for the MAF, unplug it and go for a drive. If symptoms disappear then this would point towards a fault somewhere in that area.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah but ya see ..i disconnected the maf yesterday and she drove a lot better but not as she should and when i plugged in again back to square one ..now today when unplugged ..no differance at all ...now yesterday i,m sure she went over the 3000..today no ...i,ve checked everything in that area ....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well lads i think i,ve sourced a second hand maf for tomorrow and its fairly local so i guess we,ll know more tomorrow night and lads i actually think the wrong one has been in it since i bought it six months ago ...according to my files the numbers for 1.6 and i.8 and 2.0 are the same but the cf3 engine which is in mine is differant ..would this make a differance ...also i dont think she ever was 100% power wise ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update .....cant get a maf for my engine size yet .....still lookin and have a few leads to follow tomorrow so if anyone have a maf for a 2.0 i,ll take it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update not the maf ...next i,m gonna try the camshaft position sensor also the exhaust has blown a small hole in the top of flexi pipe piece under the engine ...why i wonder ...pressure build up ...has a cat failed ....hmmmmmmmm..car is so bad now it will hardly take off...credit union and buy if i dont get sorted soon ..

·
Registered
524 Posts
The cam sensor in the Twinspark engine is I believe somewhere under the cambelt, so to change this will require a cambelt job, which is not for the faint hearted or faint of wallet..
You're in Galway right? I'd suggest bringing the car to Conrad Trill and get him to have a look to see what he thinks. He's a good lad and know his Alfas.
I'll PM you his number in case you are interested.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
A cam sensor fault would usually put on an Eml.

I'm pretty sure I read a thread very similar to this recently and it was an obstruction in the exhaust causing the problem. Worth a search in the tech room.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Why does Paulcof's car look so familiar?? Sorry to go off topic but when I see it I get the vaguest hint of a donedeal website and diagnostic written badly within the ad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
she off to conrad on tuesday which is the earliest he can look at it ...so we,ll know the story then lads ..the blocked exhaust is something i,ll look at myself today but she passed emmisions test so does that rule that out i wonder .........but when i think back the exhaust blew hole in excatly the same place before

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is it the maf lads ...take a look at this

lads the culprit has been found and has any one ever seen the like ...all thanks to mitch who must have seen it before ....thanks to everyone who helped out on this one ...cost me nothing to fix except the day .....so take a look at the pics and twas a piece of cat honeycomb wedged at the back box...

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
I love it when a story ends well, nice excuse for a decat and ss exhaust upgrade? After Xmas o'course:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts