Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guyz juss wonderin if it is ok or safe 2 lower juss the back end of my V6. I hav fitted a bodykit on it which leaves little ground clearance of 9/10cm on the front and as it is im scrapping the road when im gettin in/out my drive. So lowering the front is a no no, any ideas any1?? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It would be ok. Be aware though that with different suspension on the rear the car would exibit different handling characteristics and you would have to learn that for yourself.
The aerodynamic angle of attack would change, but I've not really seen that give significant problems on 75s, so I think it would still be ok. You may experience some wandering from the front at very high speeds though.

It may also be necessary to reset the rear brake load valve to prevent the rear brakes trying to lock up prematurely. If not adjusted, the valve would be fooled into thinking you have a load in the rear and cause the ABS on the rear to operate overly early during hard braking. This would cause stability problems and ultimately, increase braking distances. :eek: Try it out yourself, and if the front ABS still kicks in first, all is well. ;)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to agree and disagree - yes it's OK if you don't mind the handling and braking changing - no if you don't want to do development testing on the public road. I guess it's all a matter of degree - are you talking about lowering the rear by the full 10cm? How are you lowering it; shortening the springs or changing to lower / stiffer springs? If the latter, you may seriously upset the front / rear balance on a bumpy road. Not trying to be alarmist, just think you need to be very careful :eek:

G

·
Lowering the back end is a bit rash. I think the car would break funny myself. Change the profile of the tyres on the rear to taller tyres or Simply move house? :lol:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Personally I'd dig the driveway out so you drive in and out flat, lower it as much as you like then! :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ally said:
It may also be necessary to reset the rear brake load valve to prevent the rear brakes trying to lock up prematurely. If not adjusted, the valve would be fooled into thinking you have a load in the rear and cause the ABS on the rear to operate overly early during hard braking. This would cause stability problems and ultimately, increase braking distances. :eek: Try it out yourself, and if the front ABS still kicks in first, all is well. ;)
Hmmmm, u may hav a good point there, ive only given half the story in my 1st post. My car has adj suspension on the front only, now it appears it shud hav all 4 shox adj/electrical,which is the norm. So im guesiing the previous owner either scrapped the back electric shox :mad: or the car was ordered with that specification and this has cozed what u hav said above coz i hav a prob with my brakes/braking distance. Brakes seem not 2 kick in properly and takes a while 4 my baby 2 stop. I hav changed front pads, bac pads look ok, so what can it b??? :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mave said:
I'm afraid I'm going to agree and disagree - yes it's OK if you don't mind the handling and braking changing - no if you don't want to do development testing on the public road. I guess it's all a matter of degree - are you talking about lowering the rear by the full 10cm? How are you lowering it; shortening the springs or changing to lower / stiffer springs? If the latter, you may seriously upset the front / rear balance on a bumpy road. Not trying to be alarmist, just think you need to be very careful :eek:
Thinking of lowering the bac 2 b the same height as the front 2 giv the car a more even look. Is that a good or bad idea??? If ur wondering what im on about my car has adj/eletric shox (front only) so on
the ''sport'' setting the front end lowers leaving the bac lookin like its been raised and i can feel the back giv in when cornering at high speeds, obviously wont b as stiff as front, so this is my main reason 4 wantin 2 do this.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Giving the car a balanced profile would be a good idea. I thought that the electronic suspension only adjusted the damping values, and not the ride height though.

If your not happy with the brakes, I would check the brakes. I recently had to clean my pads and discs to remove all the salt induced crud which built up on the surfaces. Also, the pads have a tendancy to become seized in the carriers over time. This will reduce brake efficiency, especially the rear, because they are used less. Failing that, it may just be that the discs are quite corroded. If so, fit new discs and pads. (The rear discs are the same as Punto fronts so can be bought for £15 each from a motor factor. You may need the tool to wind back the rear caliper pistons, though)
Before doing any of that though, check that the spring (on the rear anti roll bar) to the rear brake load valve is still connected. :rolleyes:

G

·
I am not sure but if the dampning of the suspension is inefficient or the braking is also inefficient the warning lights on the dashboard would light up like a runway and then you should panic and take the crash position and wait for the thud!!!

I did a lot of playing around on the suspension and brake set up on my VW Beatle after I put an Alfa 33 16valver in it. It would nearly pull wheelies and refused to brake or corner that well. it was all down to positive feedback through the shock absorbers. basically I made the car so low and stiff at the front end that it was quite dangerous. What I found is that if you raised the car back to it's true hight (manufacturers settings) the car would resemble a vehicle that can corner, brake and do these in a reasonable way together. The solution to looking cool (and a lower slammed ride) was on my VW, was to raise the suspension back up and replace the wheels which were quite small and squat - with taller and less wide with low profile tyres. whick gave the illusion of lowering the car filling the arches, whilst not affecting the ride or brakes efficiency.

I don't think Alfa Romeo thought much about your driveway and how you were going to reverse out of it when the designed you car? COME TO THINK ABOUT IT, neither did the guy who changed half of your cars suspension - I would change it back to standard personally - it will save you time and money in the long run and stop the problems you face? As for your brakes - I don't think my 155 brakes are all that anyway, for a fast car. My Peugeot 406 Hdi taxi can outbrake at speed and out handle my 155 Q4 anyday I think, it's just faster obviously!!!

Off to bed now mate, and good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chandlers155Q4 said:
I am not sure but if the dampning of the suspension is inefficient or the braking is also inefficient the warning lights on the dashboard would light up like a runway and then you should panic and take the crash position and wait for the thud!!!
Hi mate thanx 4 the gud advise, i considered changing my suspension 4 a more uprated 1 like Koni but not much diff in price im afraid, if i remember well the electric shocks cost bout 170 quid +vat each, Konis r bout well over 200 4 front only. And the guy who was quoting me said the electric were betta. :confused: I think ur Q4 handles betta than u think, juss need 2 put ur foot down round a bend and hav faith :D
I need 2 change the back shox coz she feels shaky at the moment round the bends. I will find a way 2 sort it, let me hav a beer 1st then ideas will come running :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.