Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 156 for just under a month now and i love it, however today i parked up at a friends house, just about to walk in and heard "clunk" for the car, turned around to see it rolling back off the driveway, had to sprint, open the door (good job i didn't lock it), reach in and pull the handbreak on hard to stop it from smashing into the car parked across the road, only inches to spear. Now how embarrassing would that have been?!!!! The thing is, this is the second time this has happened. The last time i had a call from a neighbour who found the my car in the middle of the road. Now is it me been a little limp wristed and not engaging the handbreak properly.........or is this a thing that is common on Alfa's? :confused:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
There have been some handbrake issues as you describe, usually in the cold weather though. Be safe & leave it in gear!! I do :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's due to the handbrake acting on the rear discs, not separate drums or rear drums. The disc contracts as it cools resulting in the pads coming out of contact with the disc.

Why Citroen's and Saab's with front handbrake's were prone to this also.

The handbook says leave it in gear - do so.

If you have it on a v gentle slope with the handbrake on, you can hear it creaking as it cools, it's the pads slipping.

Don't forget bud!

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Are your rear discs nice and shiny? If they're dull or rusty it may suggest that the calipers are losing performance.

Are you pulling the lever all the way up? It may just be you.. (no offence meant).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can I add that you if the car is left pointing up hill leave it in reverse,pointing down hill leave in 1st, so if it rolls the engine isn't forced backwards.:)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheese:

I did that with my van on a main road on a slight slop!

Its was a pant filling experiance, and it was right opposite the pub window!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My handbrake lver mechanism was changed under warranty as it kept releasing itself.

O

·
0 Posts
allan156 said:
Can I add that you if the car is left pointing up hill leave it in reverse,pointing down hill leave in 1st, so if it rolls the engine isn't forced backwards.:)
Alan, does it matter? I thought the idea was the engine would not turn over at all, regardless of forward or reverse. I can see why it would be important to leave the car in 1st rather than 5th :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
As the slack in the drivetrain etc is taken up, the car will have gained inertia which would rock the crankshaft as the engine acts as a brake.

Allan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I always leave my car in gear, just habit.

As for the disc's contracting and the pads losing grip. I heard a story many, many years ago, about a guy with an MG Maestro turbo who had been on the track at Knockhill giving the car alot of stick, after he came off he left the car parked on a hill, with just the handbrake on, unfortunetly when the handbrake lost grip of the cooling disc's he was'nt around to stop it rolling down the hill and hitting someones car. Apparently the Maestro had alot of damage, which is'nt really a suprise as Maestro's where made from rust and wood!

I'm not sure how much truth was in the story when it was told to me!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oggy_GTA said:
Alan, does it matter? I thought the idea was the engine would not turn over at all, regardless of forward or reverse. I can see why it would be important to leave the car in 1st rather than 5th :)
Wouldn't leaving it in 5th/6th provide most braking?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ralf S. said:
Are your rear discs nice and shiny? If they're dull or rusty it may suggest that the calipers are losing performance.

Are you pulling the lever all the way up? It may just be you.. (no offence meant).

Ralf S.

:p No offence taken :p

I'll check for the dull/rusty sign.

Thanks to all with your help.

Todd.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Rob 156 said:

I'm fairly sure it would require more torque to turn the engine in 1st than in 5th.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Oggy_GTA said:
Saab certainly don't appear to think it matters. When parked, you have to put our 9-5 in reverse in order to get the key out of the ignition, since Saab says it's a safety feature.

However, the handbrake slipping all the time as it does makes hill-starts interesting....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Rob 156 said:
For any distance your car would do about 8 times the revolutions in 1st gear as in 5th. So easier to move in 5th by a factor of 8.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I thinks my freinds old landy which had no handbrake. The system on them has a drum brake on the propshaft. Good idea i think.

O

·
0 Posts
Rob 156 said:
No, if you think about it, in a high gear the wheels could turn quite a way without the engine turning over much at all - higher gears require fewer revs of the engine. On a slope the car could more easily build up inertia and overcome the resistance of the engine. So with a low gear there would be more compression strokes for a given distance travelled - compression being the biggest resistance in the engine.

Hmm I think that makes sense!

[later] sorry - just seen keithglos' reply - much more succinct! :)

W

·
0 Posts
gavin dack said:
I thinks my freinds old landy which had no handbrake. The system on them has a drum brake on the propshaft. Good idea i think.
Got that on the Matta, works well...still a "handbrake" though.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
I've never had a problem with an Alfa (or any other car) running away as I always leave it in gear....always!

In winter, in common with many 155 owners, I leave the handbrake off to prevent is freezing.

Best gear leave a car in is 1st, uphill or downhill. I spent a year with nor handbrake (don't ask!) and left the V6 in gear wherever I went...the ONLY time it failed to hold was when I had a car full and was parked downhill. So, I can't see that just the car's weight will drag it away.

wrinx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts