Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to give a bit of backround to why I am posting this thread. My 156 is parked up from a Sunday evening to a sometimes either friday night or Saturday evening due to the fact I work away from home during the week. But me and my Dad generally have a conversion that goes like this on a Sunday evening after me driving the 156 for the weekend. I think that 156 is getting faster the more I drive it over the weekend. And generally my Dad just agrees and said it's true. The more you drive them the better the engine gets. Or is it all in my head???

But does anyone else notice this happening to them too?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Contrary to popular belief engines do get better as they get older as they "loosen up". This is partucuarly true of diesels and with regular serviceing to stop valve train wear the engine should always make good power. All this as engines get old they loose bhp is nonsense. They only do that if poorly maintained. So good new DC....You're probably right :thumbs: Admittedly there comes a point where wear does affect power though. But with 116k on the GTA and making more than it left the factory with and 170k on the JTD and that making original power before it was remapped at 140k I'd say it is very high mileage before a car would loose power :)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Damien's motor is probably getting more efficient as the weekend goes on because everything's loosening up a bit. Sitting around will make the brakes bind a bit, the bearings a bit stiff (cold weather and grease), sensors a bit lazy, plugs a bit choked...

A few miles to get them up to temperature, loosen off sticking things, burn off crud, etc. will probably all add up to give the beast a bit of a teeny little boost.. :)

Ralf S.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh it certainly seems to rev better by the end of the sunday and then its all back to square one again lol :D I have to say since lowering it and doing a small few bits and pieces it's transformed the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts