Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am venturing into the rant room again.

I don't drive much these days using this train thing all week long and only driving at the weekends, but more and more I am astounded by the stupidity of some people on the roads. Is it just me or are things getting worse?

This weekend must be a record though, with the following;

1) as a pedestrian, in my local town I came to a pedestrian crossing at a junction. Lights green to pedestrians and stupid cow in a mondeo drives through. Basically because when the lights were green to her, traffic was heavy and she couldn't make it across. Rather than stop at the line she blocked the junction and went through on red.

2) out with a friend in his 156 20v JTD, coming up to a big round about we are in the left lane to turn left. Articulated lorry is in the right lane ahead of us. Mr Passat comes steaming up the right hand lane and slices across the front of us. After receiving some alfa horn he gave us the finger... later he found a brand new passat TD is no match for a 5 year old alfa 2.4 20v JTD and got the finger back.

3) coming up to a big crossroad with 4 way lights, I am going straight on so in the left hand lane which at this junction is for left and straigh on only, there is a right hand lane which funny enough is for right only as the other side of the lights is single lane. Due to a festival there is more traffic and the left hand lane is busy, but not majorly. Ahead I see a car in the right hand lane indicate left at the end of the junction and cut across. What was worse he wasn't even going straight on but then turned left!

4) OK the above may have been someone lost, though still dangerous. But when I get to the junction and am crossing the lights, I nearly get hit by a mondeo moving from the right hand lane to go straight on. This was not a mistake and just bloody mindedness and impatience on his part.

5) Finally luckily with me sticking to the speed limit I come to a junction and some idiot in a festa pulls out on me, clearly thinking he has more than a 1.1 **** box.

Don't get me wrong I am not a perfect driver but why are there so many idiots about that take unnecessary risks and blatently ignore the highway code?!?! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
44,732 Posts
The explanation for this is that you could have changed the words 'are the roads' to 'is the world' and it would have still been fine. ;)

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
Eddie, I totally agree with you.

The general standard of driving on UK roads has fallen dramatically since speed camera's came in and the numbers of traffic police was decreased.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The explanation for this is that you could have changed the words 'are the roads' to 'is the world' and it would have still been fine. ;)
I think you may be right bazza :lol:

·
Super Moderator
44,732 Posts
Other possible contributary factors:

Lack of police presence means idiots never get caught being idiotic, so do not learn, or are not removed from the driving pool.

Similar percentage levels of idiocy, but greater traffic levels means you encounter more idiots per mile than in previous years.

Mind you, pretty much since I started driving 14 years ago, I've been saying that if you go on a car journey of more than about 10 minutes, there's a good chance some numpty will try to kill you. So maybe we're just being nostalgic and it was always like this?

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
There is also a higher number of people driving on Britains roads who have never taken a test in this country.

My Girlfriend was allowed to drive for 12 months after coming to the uk, and that is on a licence given to her in the Philippines.

If you have ever been there you would know that the standard of driving there is appalling, the same as many other foreign countries.

Instead she is now learning to drive to get a full UK licence, as I wouldn't trust her to drive on her temporary one.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Its the over confident and the under confident that do my head in!

People with little/no skill/experience screaming around in cars that mummy and daddy have paid for, only to end in a heap in a ditch or elsewhere...

And the under confident who dither around, causing others to get frustrated and then angry.

Combined with the lack of physical police is also the death proof feeling that newer cars give, with air bags and electronic aids coming out of our ears, some people take these gizmos to be the true. Unfortunately physics will take over at some point and it will still hurt, if not you, then some other poor sod.

Advanced driving should be compulsory after 12 months.

And don't even start me on young girls and their "get out of the way" attitude whilst driving their super minis texting, applying make up and shouting rather unlady-like phrases from the window, not that these can be heard over the thudding drum and bass..........:rant:

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Only this very evening came across a couple in a Golf GTi.

Whilst waiting to turn left off the M67, to then turn right, I was waiting for my exit to clear when they started to beep at me. Traffic was coming from the left to go straight on (my left).
The right hand lane I wanted to move into after turning left was full (except for the yellow box junction), so I waitied. They became impatient and moved along side me into the 'left to go straight on' lane. When my exit cleared I moved off into it, and so did they! CNUTS.

I had to move into the right turn lane for a business as they hurled abuse at me and challenged me to a straight fist-fight.

However during this the bus infront of them moved forward just enough for me to ease into the gap infront of them.

Not happy, them with me hanging around observing proper road manners and then for getting back infront of them when they were too busy shouting to notice the traffics moving.

They did hit my car (mirror to mirror) as they forced me right, but no damage was done.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too ****ing right.

Bloody Belgian, Swiss and Brit middle lane hangers!

**** off, the lot of you!!!!

:rant::mad::rant:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only this very evening came across a couple in a Golf GTi.

Whilst waiting to turn left off the M67, to then turn right, I was waiting for my exit to clear when they started to beep at me. Traffic was coming from the left to go straight on (my left).
The right hand lane I wanted to move into after turning left was full (except for the yellow box junction), so I waitied. They became impatient and moved along side me into the 'left to go straight on' lane. When my exit cleared I moved off into it, and so did they! CNUTS.

I had to move into the right turn lane for a business as they hurled abuse at me and challenged me to a straight fist-fight.

However during this the bus infront of them moved forward just enough for me to ease into the gap infront of them.

Not happy, them with me hanging around observing proper road manners and then for getting back infront of them when they were too busy shouting to notice the traffics moving.

They did hit my car (mirror to mirror) as they forced me right, but no damage was done.
I think that is what is so amazing. It isn't so much blatently ignoring the highway code and driving like a ****, but rather when they come across someone who obeys the rules *you in this case* they seem to think what they are doing and their behaviour is perfectly reasonable :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speeding drivers are targeted even though the speeding itself may not be particularly dangerous in itself. At accident scenes police themselves generally won't consider speed alone as an indicator of negligence. Meanwhile, leaving the policing to camera's, people just driving like d*cks get off scot free.
Its ridiculous in this country that the first time people drive on a motorway is after they get their licence, following lessons and at test which at no point features motorway driving. Just look at the amount of people hogging the middle lane of motorways when the inside lane's clear, or sitting in the outside lane when the middle lanes moving quicker.
Any journey of more than 5 miles i can usually find some idiot doing something to annoy me!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speeding drivers are targeted even though the speeding itself may not be particularly dangerous in itself. At accident scenes police themselves generally won't consider speed alone as an indicator of negligence. Meanwhile, leaving the policing to camera's, people just driving like d*cks get off scot free.
Its ridiculous in this country that the first time people drive on a motorway is after they get their licence, following lessons and at test which at no point features motorway driving. Just look at the amount of people hogging the middle lane of motorways when the inside lane's clear, or sitting in the outside lane when the middle lanes moving quicker.
Any journey of more than 5 miles i can usually find some idiot doing something to annoy me!
Totally agree, while motorway driving should not be part of the main test, it should be compulsary once passed to have lessons on the mortorway at least.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's what annoys me about this constant blitz on speeding. The official figures say that only around 5% of deaths on the roads are actually caused by speeding (and I'll bet most of those are cuased by somebody pulling into the path of a 'speeding vehicle', be it other cars or pedestrians, yet the cause of the other 95% obviously doesn't merit anything like the amount spent on catching speeders.

I could relate stories like the above every single day, but one of the worst things I have ever seen was a woman ahead of me this morning veering around so badly I thought she was drunk. As I got closer I could see what she was doing - turning around to feed her baby who was in the back seat. she was only doing around 25mph but her car control whilst distracting herself was virtually none existant. I've seen some things but this beggared belief.

Now I like to get out of the way of idiots like this, and overtook her, probably going up to 40 to get past as quickly as I could as soon as I got a bit of clear road. If there had been a copper or speed camera around yours truly would have been the one to get nicked. It's a complete farce now, we need properly trained traffic cops out on the roads, not tax collectors and not speed cameras.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
My biggest bug bear at the minute is traffic lights. I see so many people who just ignore them. There used to be a campaign to warn against amber gambling, clearly this should now be updated to red gamblers.
After traffic lights my next cause for a rant would be people who use the lane at lights clearly marked as right turn only, just to jump a queue, usually in big german or 4X4 cars, Thay hare off and cause chaos, as the road usually narrows after the lights. Mind you, you usually catch them at the next set of lights, so much for their impaitence.

·
Registered
349 Posts
After traffic lights my next cause for a rant would be people who use the lane at lights clearly marked as right turn only, just to jump a queue, usually in big german or 4X4 cars, Thay hare off and cause chaos, as the road usually narrows after the lights. Mind you, you usually catch them at the next set of lights, so much for their impaitence.
Yup. I don't think i'd mind all this pee poor driving if it actually achieved anything, but nine times out of ten it gets them nowhere...

And also add to the list the people that seem to ignore the fact you are going round a roundabout and try to pull into the side of you from adjoining roads. Utter impatience.

I've only been driving for 5 and a bit years, and even in that time I've watched driving standards plummet to an all new low.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Other possible contributary factors:

Lack of police presence means idiots never get caught being idiotic, so do not learn, or are not removed from the driving pool.
There isn't a lack of policing - it's just concentrated on manning the DPU's (Driver Persecution Units, or "Safety" Camera Vans) that pepper our motorways and A-roads.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
As said above drive for more than 10 minutes and some [email protected] will try to kill you :mad:

I always expect the worst from other drivers and am hardly even suprised when they meet my expectaitons.

Never understand why people can't take weather/road conditions into account, driving on Sunday in downpour wipers on full just to see leaving myself plenty of space in front, [email protected] in a Focus right on my tail :mad:.
Don't these people realise it takes longer to stop in the wet !

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never understand why people can't take weather/road conditions into account
Fog is what scares me. Remember a heavy fog in central Scotland years ago, was taking it easy on the A82 dual carraigeway as could barely see a couple of hundred yards, the amount of cars overtaking at 80,90+ astounded me!

And the numpties who drive around at night / heavy rain / sleet / snow with no headlights :mad:

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
And the numpties who drive around at night / heavy rain / sleet / snow with no headlights :mad:
Well they can see where they are going, so where is the problem?

Or that is how they see it. :rolleyes:

Most numpties like that have no interest in cars, and lack understanding of cars and the laws of physics.

They have no idea on how long it takes to stop, especially in poor weather. Plus they will normally have bought budget tyres, as they are the cheapest. You get the idea..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts