Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 months ago on my mot an advisory was added that the lower front wishbones would need replacing and sure enough a month ago a knocking noise started on the front drivers side.

Im pretty sure this is the LWB, i cant get it replaced for another 3 weeks as i need the car...

Is it dangerous to drive around with this knocking? (it doesnt seem to affect drivability so far)

I have toyed with the idea of getting the parts and doing the job myself (but as we all know its only my guess that this is the problem, it might be something else) but after hours of reading the how to guides available i think i might just have it done by a mechanic.

The anti roll bar links were changed (due to knocking) 9 months ago

I just need to know my wheels arnt going to fall off in the next 3 weeks while im commuting

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I had the same worry with my car when I bought it with a wishbone knock.

If they were that bad they would have failed the MOT, it only takes a mm of play to cause a knock and now I know how the suspension acts and works after 5 years its unlikely for anything to be dangerous.

There is bound to be 156's driving around with tight owners in alot worse condition.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I'd reckon 50% of 156/147s have a knock on the front suspension. If you're worried, jack the appropriate side up and see if you can feel any play.....my guess is that it'll be fine........I've done 5K miles in the last few months with lots of banging and crashing from the front, no worries.....

That's why they fit stereos.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, thanks for the response... i'll take it easy then and turn up the stereo for a couple of weeks more

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
PS dont buy cheap ebay wishbones as youll be changing them again in 10k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts