Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ask because I just had my car's tracking done by a place with 4 wheel laser alignment.

I recently had 2 new tyres fitted on the front and it seems they didn't balance the wheels (the guys at the tracking place told me). At 65mph the steering wheel is juddering all over the place and I'm wondering should I have asked them to balance it as well or should they have done this as a matter of course?

The tracking place explained that because my alloys had solid centres they couldn't be balanced on a mandrel balancer they needed a hub to fix them to to put them in the balancer and not many cars have wheels that require this so lots of garages don't bother buying the additional bit (as it apparently costs about £1000).

I'm going to get it sorted but do I have any comeback on the place that fitted the tyres?

They didn't even mention anything.

:(

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It;s always been standard practice when i've been to buy new tyres (at pro-tyre)

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Damn well should be standard practice, it's practically impossible to expect them to be in balance by pure chance.
I would give them hell if i were you:(

·
Registered
429 Posts
i would expect that at the very least, they should have told you before they started work if they weren't able to balance your wheels.

incidentally, many places when quoting tyre fitting include the cost of a valve and balance, chech whether this is the case, you may have been overcharged.

the real cost of a balance is probably only pennies, but most places charge around a tenner i think ?

something i tried to bring up with the O.F.T. to no avail. it's a licence to print money.

i got a puncture repaired recently at kwik fit, cost me 18 quid ! my car's barely even worth that !

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
How could they? It is not normal. Putting new tyres on and not balancing the wheels!!! What else isn’t included in their service? Did they even inflate the tyres or they just put them on with no pressure? Wouldn’t surprise me after hearing this.... I wouldn’t trust this place.

Have your wheels balanced, check the pressure and check if they put the tyres on correctly regarding rotation speed. I have seen cases they put them on wrong.... If they don’t balance wheels, what else might be overlooked...

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got a puncture repaired recently at kwik fit, cost me 18 quid ! my car's barely even worth that !
Bloody hell, that's theft, the 4 wheel laser alignment I had done cost me £23.50 and has transformed the handling of the car (it was well out).

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is normal to not making the balance new tires. Because you have to make at least 1000 km to fit new tires to rims. After that you can make balance to your tires which is much healtier.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is normal to not making the balance new tires. Because you have to make at least 1000 km to fit new tires to rims. After that you can make balance to your tires which is much healtier.
Healthier than having the wheels vibrate the whole of the front of the car to bits doing untold damage?

V

·
0 Posts
They should have been done but also you should have it checked a few weeks later, come to that if you hit a kurb you should get them checked, its a cost thing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for all the feedback, i'll ring up ******* tomorrow and bollock them royally :D

Why can't you trust people to do a good job? :(

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
One last thought - what did the invoice say - normally it will list what they have done - they will charge for the tyre, valve, diposal of the old tyre and balancing. If balancing is listed then it is up to them to put it right.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thats just down to ucking laziness nothing more.

As the old saying goes...you cant get the staff these days.

Too many large companies just dont give a uck once they get your money.

Dont shop there again.:mad:

·
Registered
662 Posts
ive bought tyres from farmers selling part worns all the way to kwik fit and every place has balanced the wheels for me free of charge/part of price

W

·
0 Posts
Sorry, that's nonsense....600 miles before tyres fit????

It takes about 50miles for the tyres to properly set to the rim, apparently it is possible to spin tyres on the wheels before the sealant sets.

But, they should be balanced as soon as they're on the rim.

wrinx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, that's nonsense....600 miles before tyres fit????

It takes about 50miles for the tyres to properly set to the rim, apparently it is possible to spin tyres on the wheels before the sealant sets.

But, they should be balanced as soon as they're on the rim.

wrinx
Hope you don't have to change your tyres in Turkey, because in here no service or dealer will make your balance to your new tyres they will call you back 1 month later or after 1000 km for balance and they will tell you exactly what i said before it is healtier for your car.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Every new tyre I've had fitted has been balanced at time of fitting (I always ask to have it done but seems common practice) - this is also the best time to decide which 2 wheels to put on the front - the ones that have best balance.

There is no reason that you cant get the tyre garage to check all 4 wheels for balance before fitting new tyres - then fit the best balanced wheels to the front

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hope you don't have to change your tyres in Turkey, because in here no service or dealer will make your balance to your new tyres they will call you back 1 month later or after 1000 km for balance and they will tell you exactly what i said before it is healtier for your car.
I think the reason for this may have more to do with the state of the roads in Turkey, and the way people drive.

Your braver than I am ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts