Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2002 156 1.6 10 days ago,although i'm happy with the performance generally,i am a little concerned at how noisy it is,usually quite quiet when started from cold,when it gets warm it idles like a deisel,but doesnt rev like a deisel,(or sound like one when revving),people who i've shown the car to have even asked if it's a [email protected]@@ing deisel.

Having read thru some of the excellent post/threads on this site i'm led to believe that the cam variator might need replacing,when i bought the car the seller told me that the cam belts had just been changed (the cars done 48k)but that the variator had not.

What iwant to know is whether this noise will damage anything,and also will i be able to get the variator changed without renewing the belts again so soon?...oh and what its all likely to cost me.

Thanks in advance.
Phil.:(

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, deffinatley the variator mate. Can't be changed without the belts being done too, and the tensioners is a good idea. Not sure on the 156, but on my 145 its £3-400

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Oooh, sorry forgott the other bit! :eek:
It won't hurt anything to drive with a noisy variator, and in my experience there is no loss of performance :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts