Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drove a diesel (for the last 22 years) I was always concerned what the fuel consumption was. In more recent times, even doing tank to tank comparisons to see if the dash computer agrees with reality. :rolleyes: My last diesel a 159 1.9 Jtdm was doing 42mpg, I would get rattled when it was down to 38 or 39mpg,:mad::cry: I became not far off being obsessed with fuel economy, a sentiment often echoed on the forums.:tut:

Since last Nov I have been driving a Brera 2.2JTS,:):inlove: the computer says it does about 28mpg. I actually dont give a stuff!:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Nothing to do with the flavor of your fill up and everything to do with how you drive a car. I drink diesel, at an alarming rate, and only care about the torque ;)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Nothing to do with the flavor of your fill up and everything to do with how you drive a car. I drink diesel, at an alarming rate, and only care about the torque ;)
Hehe - just how it should be:lol:.

Mine averages around 42 ish (after alfatuning) on a mix of roads with some pretty spirited driving, a fair bit more on long distance mway cruising, and a fair bit less when I really put my foot down for fun.

I used to do brim to brim calcs and all that, but now I just check the guage to make sure its still got a quarter of a tank in it (dunno why, just like to have at least 100miles in hand).

As often quoted on this forum, its not about the mpg, its about the smiles per miles :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I'm afraid I only only bought the 2.4 for its power, I don't do enough miles to worry about whether the journey cost me an extra 50p. Having said that, my trip was saying average 44 on a journey from Lancaster to Hitchin, mainly motorway, but some A roads. That is ridiculously better than my V6, but my V6 sounds ridiculously better, so it evens out fun wise in the end.

·
Registered
373 Posts
£1.35/liter tends to focus the mind, regardless of petrol or diesel. I record usage at every fill up. I bought tyres that were highly rated for mileage and had an "eco" remap. Mileage has steadily increased from 23 to 28.1 mpg. (And that's imperial, not those weeny US gallons.)

No regrets buying petrol, either.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I drive for a living, so it's kind of important the car costs me as little to do my day job as possible, having said that, I love to give it beans as well depending on the roads your are on.

If it's motorway, there is only so much fun you can have so MPG is more importantly, give me an 'A-road' and the mpg display gets turned off!

Checking the MPG can also give you the heads up on many issues with the car (even if it's just tyre pressure).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Consumption of petrol was always higher compared to a diesel years gone by. Today petrol engines if driven economically can near a diesel, for example my 159 petrol averages 36 mpg to a 310 miles of weekly communting of A roads and B roads, the other geezer at work has a 1.9 diesel 159 and averages 43 mpg for his commute a week, so not much difference in reality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Consumption of petrol was always higher compared to a diesel years gone by. Today petrol engines if driven economically can near a diesel, for example my 159 petrol averages 36 mpg to a 310 miles of weekly communting of A roads and B roads, the other geezer at work has a 1.9 diesel 159 and averages 43 mpg for his commute a week, so not much difference in reality.
That's nearly 20% difference, I drive 400 miles a week and when I started my current job used to have petrol A3 1.8 and averaged 33mpg. Switched to 156 2.4 JTD and instantly averaged 45mpg (approx £50 month cheaper), when the 156 had 215K on the clock I went for a 159 1.9 JTD and average about the same.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My 2.4 ti is the first diesel I've owned; I don't count the Land Rover Discovery I had a few year ago - they're not cars, they are 100% 'workhorses'! Or at least mine was :)

The reason for a diesel was economy (I cover a lot of miles in a year) but I knew there were more economical diesels available so the lure of a stylish Alfa featured heavily. It's comfortable, well equipped, it looks great (inside and out), is well made and you don't see that many of them on the road, which I like a lot :thumbs: And I'm liking the off beat 5 cylinder engine and all the torque that goes with it.

Having said that, I've been a little disappointed with the trip meter saying 37 mpg and even more disappointed with tank-to-tank calculations of 34 mpg. Still, I ran a Jaguar XJR a few years ago and at best I got about 18 mpg from that :wow:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
People are forced into DERVs for
economical reasons and (environMENTAL) tax reasons.

Otherwise the manufacturers would have a better
range of petrol engines and we'd all be swanning
around in V6 or V8 petrols instead of ~2.0l turbocharged
tractor engines...

To answer the question, I never bothered about
consumption when i drive proper cars and I still
don't now I'm forced to drive a DERV.

:p

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
I've never owned a Diesel.
I always brim the Petrol tank of whichever car I'm driving and keep a record of the average MPG.
Not because I'm trying to get a record high or low, but just so that I know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's nearly 20% difference, I drive 400 miles a week and when I started my current job used to have petrol A3 1.8 and averaged 33mpg. Switched to 156 2.4 JTD and instantly averaged 45mpg (approx £50 month cheaper), when the 156 had 215K on the clock I went for a 159 1.9 JTD and average about the same.
Then again Sussex is like the Netherlands and all flat, so economy should be good compared to hill / peak climbing Ayrshire.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I worked out the pence per mile between my 2.4 159 and my bros 325i. I was just 0.5p better off. That takes into account the price difference between petrol and derv at the moment.

His car sounds loads better but it feels slow for 240bhp compared to my relatively low 200bhp but huge torque. If fuel economy wasn't an issue I'd still plump for the 2.4 for everyday drivability.

·
Registered
37,532 Posts
I think you worry about fuel consumption more if you have a trip computer with MPG readout in the car.

I often find myself going slower just to get the MPG reading up. If I didn't I would just drive faster and worry about the extra cost when filling up...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think you worry about fuel consumption more if you have a trip computer with MPG readout in the car.

I often find myself going slower just to get the MPG reading up. If I didn't I would just drive faster and worry about the extra cost when filling up...
Yep, I agree with this completely

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The opther point is that we all bought our cars for differing reasons. In my case I had a Landcruiser for work then retired and found it just too juicy , especially when towing the trailer. I'd always admired Alfa's but never owned one due to their ' old ' reputation for rust and various failures THEN I looked at the 159ti deisels and was gobsmacked by their stunning looks. Drove the 1.9 and the 2.4 at a dealers and decided having lost the grunt for towing of the cruiser that I'd look around for a 2.4ti in good nick. Hence my present car. So after 23mpg/cruiser driving carefully , the 45mpg occasionally acheived in the Alfa but 30 to 33 mpg towing was very acceptable. Without towing on some good roads/motorways it'll do 37 to 42 mpg plus I'm going a lot quicker.

·
Registered
650 Posts
i had the 1.9 159 for 2 years. despite the 42 mpg i didnt like the noise so i went and bought the one ive got. it does 31 mpg, but im happier overall :)

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
I've never owned a Diesel.
I always brim the Petrol tank of whichever car I'm driving and keep a record of the average MPG.
Not because I'm trying to get a record high or low, but just so that I know.
Its a good tool for early diagnosis of potential issues. I always record average mpg over the tank and reset the trip mileage at every fill up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know it's not a true reading on my average but I got this this morning driving into Glasgow. The trip B (automatic reset) read thus after I pulled up after my commute along the M80 to M8 then into the West End.
I had my 1.9 JTDm remapped on Monday so is a novelty for me.

Yes that says 60.3mpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts