Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you all jump on board claiming I'm attacking fat people, It's not an attack but more of a "heads up request".
I myself am constantly struggling to maintain my 11 stone for my 6' and it's not easy. I have gone upto 13st before now and have to work hard to keep it down.
As with the recent demise of Mel Smith, we lose yet another good person through heart problems, and probably speeded up by weight issues.
Do we not owe it to our loved ones to do something about our weight in order to attempt to have a longer life, Your wives, partners, Children, Grand children?
So next time when you stop at the burger van, the chip shop or just wilfully cram some load of fatty nonsense down your throat, just think before you do and chuck it in the bin instead.
If you smoke? Well I'm not even going there!
If you are very much overweight, there is no such thing as "fat but happy".....Not when your family will lose you all too early!

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
It's not always as easy as that. I'm quite heavily timbered personally. These days I walk 25-30 miles a week and try to fit in another 20 miles of cycling. I've cut down on my alcohol intake, and am eating healthier, but whilst I've lost weight from the rest of my body, my spare tyre refuses to go away.

I'm working on the basis that doing all that ezercise must make me healthier than someone who weighs 3 stone less but smokes like a chimney.

I think in the case of people who are seriously overweight, it's often a symptom of a mental health issue of some sort. That can't be fixed through diet.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
All the answers to the obesity problem seem to be held by people that have never had to deal with it personally.
A bit like people who have never smoked saying how hard can it be to give up.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Before you all jump on board claiming I'm attacking fat people, It's not an attack but more of a "heads up request".
I myself am constantly struggling to maintain my 11 stone for my 6' and it's not easy. I have gone upto 13st before now and have to work hard to keep it down.
As with the recent demise of Mel Smith, we lose yet another good person through heart problems, and probably speeded up by weight issues.
Do we not owe it to our loved ones to do something about our weight in order to attempt to have a longer life, Your wives, partners, Children, Grand children?
So next time when you stop at the burger van, the chip shop or just wilfully cram some load of fatty nonsense down your throat, just think before you do and chuck it in the bin instead.
If you smoke? Well I'm not even going there!
If you are very much overweight, there is no such thing as "fat but happy".....Not when your family will lose you all too early!
How much over weight is grossly overweight?

only asking because I carry a few extra pounds but I wouldn't consider myself obese or un healthy.

·
Registered
44,771 Posts
I have a BMI of 27, it should be 25 or less. Am I grossly overweight... No, am I bigger than I should be...Yes. About 5 years ago I had a BMI of 33 ! :eek: I've changed my diet and my habits and I've slowly lost about 4 -5 stone.

Having trouble losing the last couple of stone, they just will not shift.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Why has living longer become the holy grail?

Living well suits me better.

This is such a complex subject.

Mel Smith achieved an awful lot more in his 60 years than some
who live thirty years longer. Is longevity selfish?

·
Registered
44,771 Posts
Why has living longer become the holy grail?

Living well suits me better.

This is such a complex subject.

Mel Smith achieved an awful lot more in his 60 years than some
who live thirty years longer. Is longevity selfish?

Good point, but if you want to see your grandchildren grow up and become a burden on your children then you'll have to live a little longer ;) :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being morbidly obese when it's within your power not to be so is selfish if the consequences of this has an unreasonable impact upon the wellbeing or quality of life of others - and there are some are pretty vague "definitions".

What lies "within your power"?
What constitutes "unreasonable impact"?

If I can't sit down on a bus or something because of some fat ass who doesn't have to be that way, that seems unreasonable to me. It might not be a selfish act though if the person has no real control over their weight - suspect that this doesn't really apply to that many who can get onto a bus though. I tend to jump out of such people's way though as they are likely to have an extended stopping distance when on the move.

@ Gibbo:
I don't think we are selfish at clinging onto life if that's what we choose to do. We don't IMO have any kind of "right" to longevity but survival of the individual is a pretty fundamental driving force for most organisms (after survival of the species). We only get one shot at life before recycling, it's usually all over too soon and our consciousness/person is extinct forever.

Who is to judge Mel Smith or anybody else? I wouldn't hold him up as a model of achievement over my dad who died at 92. Smith's been highly creative and more publicly visible for sure. He made me laugh a few times. My dad wasn't obviously publicly visible but who's to say he did or didn't achieve more or less than Smith? My dad achieved more kids. He might even have been more visible to the public if they knew what he actually did for a living and for how long.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has a post been deleted here? The thread vanished for a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts