Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/03/geneva-debut-for-audi-a5-set/

Audi A5 will first time be shown an the coming Geneva show in a few weeks. Will it become a Brera killer?

I saw some picure if it - and it looks stunning. (Sorry folks I can not publish them). With a V8 and more power - it is everything that Brera should have been......

·
Registered
160 Posts
No way. The A5 will be priced in a class above the top model TT which puts it out of competition with the Brera, more in line with the 6 series coupe.

To me the A5 looks like a bigger fatter version of the BMW 3 series coupe...

Slab sided, big bottom, lots of piercing lights designed primarily to scare people from the outside lane. Won't work though as the outside lane is full of scary looking BMWs, Mercs and Audis already.

(while those of us in Alfas get there quicker using good lane discipine, patience, using more interesting back roads... in cars that people like the look of):D

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I suppose it might be a competitor to the Brera GTA assuming Alfa do a decent job on it.

A 4.2 V8 is reasonably serious firepower.
It sounds though like maybe they are keeping a fairly basic 4WD system unless market demand shows the need for an RS version.
Typically Audi only put decent 4WD transmissions in their RS cars.
This sounds like a bit of a cop out to me if you have a V8 installed!
(must investigate more)

The Breras one is similar to the Audi RS4, it just doesn't have the 400required bhp to make it sing.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
the A5 pics have been leaked to the web anyway, it does look nice. Do a search in other marques I think Bigfoot posted a link.

It's got a gfeat engine and it looks awesome, and saleswise it'll probably murder the Brera.

B

·
0 Posts
My opinion is that it will not, because I think it's playing a different game.

I am not saying that one is better than the other (well, I am, but that's not important:)) but you either like the Audi brand for its image, or the Alfa brand for its image - I personally believe the two are miles apart and for that reason I'd never seriously see an Audi as a competitor to an Alfa irrespective of price, specification or segment.

It's like the 159 v.s the A4 - I don't think they're playing the same game either - the Alfa is for people who want to be a little different, and place passion and style highly in their decisions. The Audi... isn't.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I dont it will outsell the Brera. Both cars are very different, and theres a type of person that likes the flair of the Brera and theres the type of person that likes the rather boring styling of an Audi!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
could compare A3 and 147... both nice cars but as someone recently said in another lounge, the audi lacks soul. same for the A5, no matter how tidy they make it look, wont ever have the same feel as an alfa

·
Registered
253 Posts
The way Alfa is going about the Brera it will kill itself.

Far to much weight and to high of a fuel consumption. This might not be an issue as much in the UK but it is definitively in their 2 largest markets.

A lot of the foreign buyers are upset to call something a GTA, which has nothing got to do with the GTA heritage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts