Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just thought i would ask, There doesn't appear to be lot being said at the moment, Is AO losing it's appeal? I'm on the AlfaOwners Facebook page and that is non stop. I hope AO isn't losing its appeal as it gives out some great info. :-(

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi All, Just thought i would ask, There doesn't appear to be lot being said at the moment, Is AO losing it's appeal? I'm on the AlfaOwners Facebook page and that is non stop. I hope AO isn't losing its appeal as it gives out some great info. :-(
It is for me!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have to say, the user interface seems a lot "fussier" than many fora that I frequent. Other thna that, I'm fairly agnostic about it. The adverts are just something we have to put up with if we want a free-to-use forum, I guess.

I've been quiet because I've been busy welding...

Noticed that (despite no advisories on its last MOT), my 164 came back with one rear jacking point shorter than the other! Been meaning to do something about it all winter and, of course, never got round to it! Now that the MOT has expired, it seemed like as good a time as any, but they're a pig to reconstruct neatly. After I'd finished it, I thought the one on the other side was looking "a bit crispy" and sure enough, a (not-very-determined) assault with a screwdriver and it crumbled.

Still, not a bad weekend's work. Both sides now rebuilt, undersealed, and Waxoyled from the inside - AND I didn't set it on fire, which was a real bonus...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..i hope not, facebook is a complete pain in the as5.

I guess it's up to us to keep the place busy.. there's so few 164/166s about at this stage we could do worse than post the odd update on how everyone's cars are getting on for instance..?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
There's no way I'd want to join an Alfaowner Facebook page...

1. My friends would see
2. My friends would unfollow me to avoid seeing 'car crap' on their newsfeeds
And
3. Think of the 'targeted advertising' possibilities - all for things on the wrong side of the world! :lol:

-Alex

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Appeal comes and goes. I guess forums will never be what they used to be with so many social media sites. Joined a 164 page on FB recently that hasn't annoyed me yet....

Reactions: tytzar

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
What fb page you guys on I'm only following autolusso atm
Thank you for that :thumbup:

Yes I think AO is losing to it's appeal and I think it is due the the none friendly smart phone technology, it does nor work on my phone. I only use AO from my work computer of my lap top at home

Ned

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts
I'm guessing you have an iProduct Ned ? Some of them seem to have issues with the new Full Skins for whatever reason.

If you haven't already done so try one of the Classic Skins from the AO Skin choice dropdown at the bottom left of the page, they seem to work on all devices & operate almost identically to the previous version of AO.

Skin choices.jpg

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts
The downside of the FB format in general versus the forum format is that content posted on FB is mostly "here today, gone tomorrow" whereas content posted on a forum can be categorised & found more easily again & can be an excellent resource for others in the future.
For some content it's not a big deal but for technical advice especially it's unfortunate, that's one of the reasons I don't bother posting technical advice or help on FB pages, I'd rather spend my time sharing it on forums where it can possibly be helpful again in the future to others.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'm guessing you have an iProduct Ned ? Some of them seem to have issues with the new Full Skins for whatever reason.

If you haven't already done so try one of the Classic Skins from the AO Skin choice dropdown at the bottom left of the page, they seem to work on all devices & operate almost identically to the previous version of AO.
That's funny - I've only ever used AO on my iPhone (never on anything else) and I haven't seen the Skin choice dropdown. What skin am I using? (Picture below)

It all seems to work fine but I think I had to choose the Full Site rather than the Mobile Site.

I really agree with your point about Facebook being a flash-in-the-pan style compared to the lasting quality of a forum. Forums are really made or broken by the users. I always thought the old US-based forums had the best mix of interesting 'blog' style posting mixed with news mixed with questions/answers. The way that Alfaowner splits 'technical questions' from other stuff is unfortunate, in my opinion, as I only ever visit the model-specific forums. But generally it seems we have a good mix.

I just bought an iPad Pro today, which is a tad bigger than my iPhone 6 and might show a bit more of the site at once :)

-Alex

Attachments

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Thoughts.

Regardless of skin, AO is unusable on an iPhone. Unless you use adblock. One for the forum owners to think about....

Why are the image lounges restricted to logged on users only? These are the sort of threads that have real traction - I keep getting sidetracked onto Pistonheads by "Readers Cars" threads appearing on search engines.

I can't be bothered with FaceTwitter - the value of this forum is in the years old threads with precise details on how to fix problems. FaceTwitter is far too transient.

Not bothered with advertising on this site or anywhere else - I don't see any of it.

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts
That's funny - I've only ever used AO on my iPhone (never on anything else) and I haven't seen the Skin choice dropdown. What skin am I using? (Picture below)

It all seems to work fine but I think I had to choose the Full Site rather than the Mobile Site.

I really agree with your point about Facebook being a flash-in-the-pan style compared to the lasting quality of a forum. Forums are really made or broken by the users. I always thought the old US-based forums had the best mix of interesting 'blog' style posting mixed with news mixed with questions/answers. The way that Alfaowner splits 'technical questions' from other stuff is unfortunate, in my opinion, as I only ever visit the model-specific forums. But generally it seems we have a good mix.

I just bought an iPad Pro today, which is a tad bigger than my iPhone 6 and might show a bit more of the site at once :)

-Alex

That's the "Full Dark" skin you are using. The drop down is at the very bottom of the page on the left, users should see it there. I'm not sure if it's there if using the "Mobile Site", switching to the "Desktop" or "Full site" may be required.

I actually see dividing the content on AO as a pro rather than a con, it means it's easier to find model relevant content when it's mostly all in the one location.

Skin choice dropdown location.png

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts
Why are the image lounges restricted to logged on users only?
An extra level of privacy ? That's a feature of many forums, some other forums I use only let logged in users see attachments throughout the entire forum even though forum access is not restricted to visitors.

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Alfabook is fine for a general Alfa chat but for technical help it just doesn't work. You cannot effectivly track your posts and if you haven't had any replies within a couple of hours then your post will be so far down everyones news feed that no one will reply to it.

Alfaowner still very much has its place and I would be happy to continue to use it. Just a shame it runs like crap on my phone and if I switch to a legacy skin to fix it then my PM box doesn't work.

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts
iPhone or something else ? I use Classic II (previously labelled Legacy) on an old iTouch with no problems including PMs.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Whilst it's very slow, I can use AO on my ancient iphone 3GS. I use the white background, legacy I think.
I've started to log on through Google Chrome on my laptop as AO doesn't seem to run smoothly any longer through Google.
From a technical stand point I think the site is pretty invaluable, it's still the first link on any Alfa related technical query that you throw into a search engine.....and that's a result of us using it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts