Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think ?

I found one, it looks good (from the photos) and its PRECISELY the spec that I want, the colour, the interior, everything. But it has covered 150.000 miles already.
Supposedly a two owner car with regular main dealer service etc. etc. but they all say that.

Its a 2002, so maybe it would be worth to get a 2nd hand 2004 engine, rebuild that and throw that into the car ?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Going to vuew it will tell you. Check the floor pan mostly.

My 147 is on 150k and uts starting to get a bit rattly on the inside but the rest of uts okay. Suspension is a but tured but functional. Engines goid though. Not a jts but make sure everything has been done cambelt wise and check clutch is okay.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
all depends on the price and how much work you are prepared to potentially put in for the exact car you want.

I personally would stay away from a JTS at any mileage but thats another debate, they are capable of high miles with the right owner if its got to 150k it can't have been treated badly at all, I would suspect at that age it will be on its 3rd clutch,set of wishbones and probably a second rad.

as Scotty has said check all of the usual suspects and you should be fine, JTS specific problems are camshaft wear,coil packs and Lambda's normally the exhaust side cams, won't go into the reasons why here, but I owned one in a GT. It's well worth you doing some research on the JTS before you pull the trigger, I wish I had..a little more knowledge could have saved me £1500

I see you are in Ireland, I have a mate there so know people consider 150k differently to the UK, VRT tax makes it expensive to import anything without paying a huge premium so there is less choice, especially with a niche marque like Alfa.

all things considered go for it but just make sure there are no terminal bodywork issues. give that underside a thorough inspection:thumbup:

and on any car at 150k be prepared to throw the engine in the bin and start again at some point if of course the rest is sound, a good JTS can be had for around £250 on ebay.

best of luck!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Sorry I replied on my phone and dear god there are many spelling mistakes. Look's like I drank a few beers before getting to the post.

Anyway. The JTS is okay. It suffers a few more issues than the normal twin spark engine. But its meant to be a bit of an advancement on it with a direct injection fuel delivery system.
However some of that system has caused other long term issues. But again these might be good given the car has made it to 150k.

Also clutches don't go anywhere near as much as a diesel. Most TS and JTS engines the clutch lasts the lifetime of the car. Someone had one with 200k on the original and was still gonig strong. They retired the car due to corroded brakes pipes.

If you can get the car quite cheaply (Sub £1000) then I'd say if everything is okay you'll get a couple years running out of it.

As I said before. Suspension will probably be a bit tired.
Saying that mine were on the original wishbones for 112k and I only changed them because they started to appear on the MOT but always passed.
The lighter engine in the front gives them an easier time. Mine is now 38k onwards on some Birth ones and they are fine.

But my shocks and springs are a bit tired.
Check the underneath whatever you do. 156 seem to have varying quality of underseal.

Nout wrong with high mileage but just beware you get a cheaper car you'll spend a bit more on maintenance

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys! :)

I will think some more...

·
Registered
417 Posts
original clutch and DMF 20v 182000 miles still good

Sorry I replied on my phone and dear god there are many spelling mistakes. Look's like I drank a few beers before getting to the post.

Anyway. The JTS is okay. It suffers a few more issues than the normal twin spark engine. But its meant to be a bit of an advancement on it with a direct injection fuel delivery system.
However some of that system has caused other long term issues. But again these might be good given the car has made it to 150k.

Also clutches don't go anywhere near as much as a diesel. Most TS and JTS engines the clutch lasts the lifetime of the car. Someone had one with 200k on the original and was still gonig strong. They retired the car due to corroded brakes pipes.

If you can get the car quite cheaply (Sub £1000) then I'd say if everything is okay you'll get a couple years running out of it.

As I said before. Suspension will probably be a bit tired.
Saying that mine were on the original wishbones for 112k and I only changed them because they started to appear on the MOT but always passed.
The lighter engine in the front gives them an easier time. Mine is now 38k onwards on some Birth ones and they are fine.

But my shocks and springs are a bit tired.
Check the underneath whatever you do. 156 seem to have varying quality of underseal.

Nout wrong with high mileage but just beware you get a cheaper car you'll spend a bit more on maintenance
My 20v has done a lot of heavy towing and is still on its original clutch.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
My 20v has done a lot of heavy towing and is still on its original clutch.
Well that's fab. But you would probably need to state mileage so far.
I'm not saying all clutchs are equal. All depends on use. City / Motorway. Long or short journeys etc etc.

But generally speaking the petrols have an easier time on the clutch.
There are very little people changing clutches on the petrol due to less power and torque going through it. Also the clutch on the the petrols is way over engineered for cars with 120 - 165 bhp.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I wouldn't listen to some of the scare stories about the JTS engine, I ran one for a while and serviced it properly and had no problems. If its got to 150k then it must have been looked after.

My only concern would be the injectors at that mileage. Check how it starts, if it chugs (misses slightly) and for any smoke. They don't suffer from the oil starvation probs that twinnys do...

Other than that just normal things.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
They use up oil the same as Twinspark engines.
It's just they should be run on a thicker weight oil of 10w60.

Which to be honest is probably too thick for most if not all engines on the road.
Higher rpm and racing that oil viscosity is okay. But most engines won't get the oil to temperature.

But it does get round consumption in favor of wear.

·
Registered
944 Posts
They use up oil the same as Twinspark engines.
It's just they should be run on a thicker weight oil of 10w60.

Which to be honest is probably too thick for most if not all engines on the road.
Higher rpm and racing that oil viscosity is okay. But most engines won't get the oil to temperature.

But it does get round consumption in favor of wear.
Yeah there are different POV on this. I don't want to get into a oil discussion!

I always used 10/60 as that is what Autolusso / Opie spec for it. Never had an issue.

The variator on the twinnys go if doing lots of short journeys as a result of oil starvation. Tends not to be a problem on the JTS. That's what i meant.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Variators don't fuction and wear prematurely due to oil being burnt.
The oil being burnt is due to the poor oil rings / piston rings.

Therefore when people run the car with a lower viscosity the oil burn's quicker. Oil drops below max levels. The oil is not pumped up to the variator as sufficiently. The variator splines and plastic gauge wears.

Using thicker oil keeps some in the variator as well as well as not being burnt.
However the downside is that the oil pump doesn't reach the same pressure especially on the warm up cycle which leads to premature wear of the overall engine.

It's not really a debate.
All things in engineering are a compromise.

But yes always use the specced oil for your car. For the JTS it is the thicker stuff.
Althoguh that kind of viscosity was used in the 1950's for engines with larger tolerances. Which kind of shows that the oil is there to hide certain flaws.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Variators don't fuction and wear prematurely due to oil being burnt.
The oil being burnt is due to the poor oil rings / piston rings.

Therefore when people run the car with a lower viscosity the oil burn's quicker. Oil drops below max levels. The oil is not pumped up to the variator as sufficiently. The variator splines and plastic gauge wears.

Using thicker oil keeps some in the variator as well as well as not being burnt.
However the downside is that the oil pump doesn't reach the same pressure especially on the warm up cycle which leads to premature wear of the overall engine.

It's not really a debate.
All things in engineering are a compromise.
Thanks scotty, i am well versed with the variator problem having experienced it! As i said, tends to occur less frequently on the JTS, as you point out possibly due to the oil.

The 'debate' comment relates to oil spec for a JTS. Regardless of what you may or may not think, there are loads of people (not me) who would put 10/40 in a JTS. I make no judgement on this as this is not the time/place - there are loads of other threads which cover it.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Oil is a huge debate across many forums. Fact is there is no one spec and most perform in a band.
There is also never any hard and fact evidence of wear either. Its just too complex to get on the internet. So unless you work for the big companies on RnD I guess we will never have hard and fast info.

Point being 150k on a car is usually towards the end of its natural life.
Not to say it won't run for another 10 years. But generally a lot of items will definitely past their best.

Usually engines with the right maintenance will run for a very long time.
But after a number of years other things on a car are tired / past their best or completely worn out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
have an -04 jts in one of my GT's. Done 120 k miles

Headgasket gone, just fixed. Drank coolant like a mad man, head survived though.
Camshafts worn badly, changed 5k miles ago, always on 10/60 (probably oil contamination (fuel) or low top end oil pressure even though allways topped up. Been in the family for 10 years. Also checked hardening of lobes and those where normal. Have now modified for higher oil pressure in the top end.
Need constant injector cleaning additive to keep injectors clean, and always keep an extra coil laying around.
High oil consumption, normal..
Needs frequent il changes as the direct injection contaminates the oil quickly.

Most expensive engine to keep up i've ever encountered, would not buy again.

Reactions: Spider95

·
Registered
376 Posts
I always used 10/60 as that is what Autolusso / Opie spec for it. Never had an issue.
10/60 came recomended from the factory because of high oil consumption when using thinner oil.

·
Registered
944 Posts
10/60 came recomended from the factory because of high oil consumption when using thinner oil.
Some engines are just 'loose'. Although my experience was about 1l every 5k. So not mega high.

You would expect this to get a little worse as it got older...

I always used premium fuel in mine and never had to stick additional additives in.

I wasn't unhappy with mine. Like anything, service it regularly, use 99/100 ron fuel, and it should be fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Loved my JTS and the engine was fine when I sold it at 120K miles. Original injectors, original variator, original clutch, original everything. It had a heavy thirst for 10/60 - but then it always did from new. There was at all times a bottle of oil in the boot ready for the next top-up.

Only had three small problems with that engine and only one of those left me stranded - crank sensor, coil pack and key sheared on one of the cam sprockets allowing the sprocket to rotate a little bit wrt. the cam causing some power loss.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I said at the top of the thread that I don't rate the JTS engine.

but its done 150k! that is not far off a miracle for that engine. I think they have had it at 120k absolute tops on average, of course there will be some JTS drivers on who will have done more but on average that's when the cost of fixing them outweighs the value of the car..they are one of Alfa's least remarkable moments to be honest. in years to come they will not be looked back on with any affection by most.

as said before if the rest of the car is good then buy it being fully aware that a new engine may be required at some point to keep the car on the road.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
To be fair none of alfas engines since the boxer have been particularly that brilliant.

But then again... thats because they are fiats lumps.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
To be fair none of alfas engines since the boxer have been particularly that brilliant.

But then again... thats because they are fiats lumps.
So you're calling the V6 a Fiat engine......??
It was introduced many years after the Boxer, but before the Fiat takeover.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts