Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to repeat this (I've recently mentioned this in my 'Looking for a Red 2.4 Ti Saloon' thread). But wanted some input this week, considering a viewing on the weekend.

I've always been one to go for 'average mileage' cars. So I look to get something that's covered roughly 10k miles per year or less.

Now I've been looking at a 2007 2.4 jtdm Ti with 70k on the clock. The only thing that puts me off is this 70k miles.

Is this only likely to affect resale value? Or am I likely to get stung in the pocket with additional maintenance.

I would just like to point out now that is has FSH and has had the timing belt and water pump done in 2011.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Is this only likely to affect resale value? Or am I likely to get stung in the pocket with additional maintenance.
It will affect resale value, but you should be paying less for it in the first place so weights itself out a bit. Also, the diesels are a strong unit hence being inherent motorway mile munchers, so i wouldnt be worried about the miles at all.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It is officially due a cambelt service at 72k (IIRC) so factor that into the price if it hasn't already been done ... as for the mileage it's probably a good thing as it will be mainly motorway miles and it should have been serviced about twice a year (ish).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is officially due a cambelt service at 72k (IIRC) so factor that into the price if it hasn't already been done ... as for the mileage it's probably a good thing as it will be mainly motorway miles and it should have been serviced about twice a year (ish).
Cambelt and water pump done in 2011.

If I go and look I'll be checking how often it was serviced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been in the trade for 20 years and buy nothing but 'higher mileage' fleet cars. In my opinion it is age that affects modern cars mainly, not mileage. A 4 year old Alfa with 100k will be far better than an 8 year old one with 50k..... (I run a 2007 159 JTDm 1.9 with 120k miles)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've been in the trade for 20 years and buy nothing but 'higher mileage' fleet cars. In my opinion it is age that affects modern cars mainly, not mileage. A 4 year old Alfa with 100k will be far better than an 8 year old one with 50k..... (I run a 2007 159 JTDm 1.9 with 120k miles)
Precisely. It is this age old question again, why are we so hung up on mileage? Far more relevant, at least for engines, would be hours run.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
My last GT 1.9 had 110k on the clock and was sweet as a nut, I've got 55k on the Brera and she's on a 58 plate, like folk have said tractor engines are bearly broken in at 50k :)

Mine are all motorway mile munchers, but bloody good looking ones ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
My 159 1.9 jtdm is 2008 and got 103k on .... Turbos are good for 100k mines just been done. It's not so much the engine mileage but the parts that bolt onto it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input chaps.

Hopefully going to get a viewing on Saturday morning. As this one is listed on ebay, I'm not holding my breath as the bids have been flying in thick and fast up till last night. So they may well clear what I'm willing to pay before Saturday comes!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought my 159 1.9JTDM with 41k on the clock after just 18 months. It's still running sweet at 80k and has never had any real fault. The most reliable car I've ever had. I think I'm setting myself up for a big fall !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a 2007 lusso 1.9 jtdm with 81k fash,got cam and pump done and it's a beauty, interior is mint, to be honest it looks better than the Audi a3 3.2 I had that had done 48k, only thing I've done is changed the wheels (nothing wrong with them just didn't like them) only had it about 6 weeks but it's a great drive, cd player is superb sound quality is great as long as u play with the setting :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
70k over 4 years isnt too much, its probably all motorway miles so it will of spent most of its life running at a little over 2000 rpm at full operating temperature with the turbo hardly working.

Its lots of cold starts and running cold that shortens the life of engines

·
Registered
100 Posts
I sold my 2.4 20v 156 at 119k miles at 4yr 5months and that was running sweetly - it did have FSH (not main dealer). My current 159 (also 2.4 20v) has 75k at about the same age 4yr 6months.... the 156 was 1yr and 30k when I bought it, the 159 was nearly 2yrs old and I'm not doing the same miles now.

As above 70k is nothing and suggests the car has been on the road a lot (m'way) so can't have had many probs.

R

·
0 Posts
I've done 20k a year in the family motor with no business use for the last 7 years and if only we hadn't crashed I was expecting at least 200,000 miles from our jtd. They are the bulletproof engine quote that kawasaki used to enjoy! Just buy it and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts