• Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always looking to upgrade so added another HDD as I needed some more space but do you think 2GB of RAM is overkill? or you can never go wrong more RAM ?

PC use is mostly gaming & internet use.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
It depends what you use your computer for. Unless you are doing a lot of digital recording work or desktop publishing then I would say 1GB is enough.

Memory is relatively cheap these days but I have 'only' 1GB and the available memory has never drop too low regardless of what programs I've been using.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pascs,

Good Answer I agree all depends what you use your computer for.

I entered a bid on ebay for some corsair ram and thought I would of never won but I did! So will have another GIG of ram :eek:

To late now, I suppose so 2 GIG here we come :)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Corsair - excellent choice. I have 1GB of Corsair Twin XMS (I think thats what it was called).

I don't know if there are any downsides to having too much ram.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pascs said:
Corsair - excellent choice. I have 1GB of Corsair Twin XMS (I think thats what it was called).

I don't know if there are any downsides to having too much ram.

Pascs thats what I have in my PC now :D Corsair is the creme de la creme when it comes to ram , also rock stable when its overclocked :D ;)

I too am running Twin XMS ram PC 3200 ;) & that what I just bought again.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
On the other hand, more ram is never a bad thing... but I've been runing my PC with 1,5 Gb of ram for ~3 years now and the memory usage has never risen even above 1GB :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pasi said:
On the other hand, more ram is never a bad thing... but I've been runing my PC with 1,5 Gb of ram for ~3 years now and the memory usage has never risen even above 1GB :rolleyes:

With 2GB of Ram and a Pentium 4 3Ghz Clocked at 3.3Ghz doubt there will be need to upgrade until Longhorn comes out ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Have a P IV3.06 with 1GB of RAM and for making home made movie DVD's it's just not enough, always hanging. Downside of my system is that it's a ACER notebook and no way possible to ad more RAM.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
My cousin is making home made DVD's with 512 without problems.... :rolleyes:

@Reuv, Don't know about that... been using Linux lately ... you should too ;)

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Hmmm. so if you have 2gb of ram you might only use half of that at best :confused: My laptop has 512mb. Has the prices for laptop RAM fallen in line too and is it difficult to upgrade? I wonder :confused:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
london66 said:
Have a P IV3.06 with 1GB of RAM and for making home made movie DVD's it's just not enough, always hanging. Downside of my system is that it's a ACER notebook and no way possible to ad more RAM.
I'm sure its not the size of the memory that is causing the problem but more likely the hard drive. Most laptops run slow hard drives which can not cope with this sort of use.

My home PC runs 2 raid 120GB SATA drives (7200rpm) and this blows my IBM laptop away. The laptop is a 3.0Ghz, 512MB ram and 60 GB hard drive.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
kurzon said:
Hmmm. so if you have 2gb of ram you might only use half of that at best :confused: My laptop has 512mb. Has the prices for laptop RAM fallen in line too and is it difficult to upgrade? I wonder :confused:
512mb is the minimum you want on an XP machine - it should be easy enough to upgrade you laptop - most have an additional slot for extra memory.

Check out www.crucial.com they have every laptop listed and what memory will fit and how much.

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Cheers Pascs :) I will check that site out ;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Laptop memory is harder to upgrade, as laptop components are a bit more rare than normal PCs, and some of them don't apply to normal standards (as in shape or sometimes even technical specs) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
london66 said:
@PASI, what program is he using, I used Pinnacle v8.
He is using pinnacle too, don't know which version

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Max memory that I can remember my PC eating was near ~750mb, most of it was eaten by image editor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Pasi said:
Laptop memory is harder to upgrade, as laptop components are a bit more rare than normal PCs, and some of them don't apply to normal standards (as in shape or sometimes even technical specs) :rolleyes:
Yes this is true but if you go to Crucial's site you'll get some idea of the stock they carry.

You select your model and they'll give you every detail about the memory you can install - very impressive.

512MB for my IBM laptop is $98 - not a bad price

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Laptop memory is not harder to upgrade, most manufacturer use standard SODIMMS, check your manual of course, the only problem with a lot of laptops is they only have one memory slot accessable meaning if you want to put big memory in you have to open up the laptop to acces the internal one, but its not a big deal either if you are careful, I have done it on mine to upgrade my A64 Laptop to 1 Gb, it had too slots one inside the other accessible, the inside one was populated with a 256Mb stick, meaning that the highest amount of memory I could put it was 1.25Gb with a 1Gb stick (2Gb stick is too expensive.) a 1Gb stick was something like 250 whereas junking the 256 and installing 2 512 was about £100.

If you want to speed up your laptop though upgrade to a 7200rpm hard drive, the difference between that and the standard 4200 pap they put in laptops is astonishing.

As for 2Gb or RAM its all down to what you do with your machine, as a games machine I get by nicely with 1Gb but it won't be long before I need mroe.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Reuven said:
Always looking to upgrade so added another HDD as I needed some more space but do you think 2GB of RAM is overkill? or you can never go wrong more RAM ?

PC use is mostly gaming & internet use.
For gaming and internet use I would say it probably is overkill. 1 would probably be enough.

[showoff]I currently have 8gb[/showoff] But I do do a lot of photoshop work with large images and have a lot of apps open at the same time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts