Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that i have ur attention :), i have 17" wheels on mine, they look really good but the way the roads are using 45 profiles is a bit wearing sometimes, also on bumpy corners they probably make the handling worse (skittish) , is it possible to get 16" teledials for a 1998 GTV ts?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
I seam to remember that you don't have 225/45R17 either, but have 215 instead.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
They will be harsher and less balanced than using the correct 225/45R17 size.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may not be getting this but surely the comfort would only be affected by the tyre depth? (i can see what ur saying about ballance re width).

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
I may not be getting this but surely the comfort would only be affected by the tyre depth? (i can see what ur saying about ballance re width).
The "45" is a percentage of the width.

So a 205/45 is a lot shallower than a 225/45.
18mm difference in diameter between the two.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah I see, thanks David, I have looked on ebay, no 16" teledials, do they exist?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Ah I see, thanks David, I have looked on ebay, no 16" teledials, do they exist?
Original GTV V6 used 16", before changing to 17" later on.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, think i might look out for some, perversely i then intend to lower the car by 20mm!, what im hoping for there is to gain comfort but improve handling, not asking much is it :), i may be way of beam but 20mm i have heard isnt too detrimental to ride, fatter tyre should retain comfort/improve handling on poor road surfaces.

R

·
0 Posts
17" and the correct tyres work pretty well on a V6 so I can't see why it would be very different with a TS. Have you tried using the right size yet? It would be cheaper than changing the wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats not a bad idea, just wondering how much deeper the tyre would be, if were only talking a percentage of an extra 10mm width, is it going to be much deeper?, thats why i was thinking smaller rim, but that said no i havent tried 225's....Romans,Romans lend me you wheels!

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Thats not a bad idea, just wondering how much deeper the tyre would be, if were only talking a percentage of an extra 10mm width, is it going to be much deeper?
As I said earlier, 18mm difference in diameter between the correct 225/45R17 and your 205/45R17.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that'll teach me to read moooore sloooooly, sorry David missed the second line.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You can have my 16" Teledials msgtv. Although there in Australia I can send them to you as I just found a very rare set of 17" GTA wheels im putting on my car tomorow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks, think i might look out for some, perversely i then intend to lower the car by 20mm!, what im hoping for there is to gain comfort but improve handling, not asking much is it :), i may be way of beam but 20mm i have heard isnt too detrimental to ride, fatter tyre should retain comfort/improve handling on poor road surfaces.
I think in effect you will be where you are now, as you'll be adding compliance by fitting higher profile tyres, but removing comfort by fitting stiffer springs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think in effect you will be where you are now, as you'll be adding compliance by fitting higher profile tyres, but removing comfort by fitting stiffer springs.
Thats true to some extent (maybe a large extent:)), but the compliance given by the deeper tyre should iron out a lot of the smaller road imperfections which are what i find to be the most annoying (ie dealing with them before the suspension comes into play), what the yanks call "stutter bumps" and im told that eibach springs are not unduly uncomfortable, so it "could" work well, on the plus the looks will be improved (beauty being in the eye of...) and handling should improve due to the lower centre of gravity, anyway engine mods are first so plenty of time for research.
Thanks for your view though im not disagreeing just saying we dont know:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you Fred, any idea of what you want for them plus freight cost would be?
btw send a pic of your new wheels if you have one.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Fred but i'm sure its gonna be a non starter by the time we have dialed in the shipping, i'll keep an eye out over here, obviously if your taking a uk break soon just pop em in your suitcase mate :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts