Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i am new to this forum and i was wondering if anybody would have the time to help me out.

Basically i have found a beautiful red alfa gt jtd with 18inch alloys and leather which full service history with 112k miles and hpi clear for £4k.

now the seller has taken good care of the car as you can tell from the photos and knows the car well.

Now this is what has been done.

* new clutch and slave cylinder
* cambelt and water pump at 97k
* drop links
* reconditioned turbo (vanes were sticking apparently)
*new driveshaft yoke/Spider joint
* silicon bottom turbo hose
*front discs and pads
* 4 new tyres
* 4 wheel alignment
*full service with oil

so quite alot of work has been done on it and the guy reassures me that its mint, i have never bought a car with this sort of mileage but what temps me is the fact that i bought a vauxhall corsa 2006 with 70k miles and when i sold it with 100k miles it was in better working condition because i had changed so many parts.

basically what i would like to know is, are there any other things i should look for when i go to see it?
what are peoples general thoughts on the matter?? i personally would of thought that a well looked after alfa gt jtd engine should be good for at least 150k.

anyways thanks for your time and would really appreciate your comments.

p.s its a standard 1.9 jtdm no chips or remaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
What sort of spec has it?, such as leather, stereo etc, how much test does it have left, seems a good buy. I have just bought one with 107k on it for £4300 but have literally all the toys!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has full beige leather, stero is a ipod connection thing with bluetooth hands free, cruise control, but does not have the reversing sensors, you have any issues with your 107k car?

·
Registered
115 Posts
clutch slave cylinder had failed when I picked it up, fixed on warranty, have a couple of niggles but only minor things cos i'm a perfectionist, reversing sensors are a must, rear visibility is shocking when reversing. How much MOT is left, mine had a fresh one and needed a couple of things which were sorted by the dealer. Just make sure no warning lights are present on the dash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its got about 8 months mot left,and its taxed, what are these minor things?? im a perfectionist aswell :)
i would have liked reversing sensor but cant have it all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm quite new here and had a GT for 6 months now, and I don't notice not having sensors now I'm used to her. I can get into the tightest of spaces around town with no problems. If your good at reversing and have good spacial awareness then you can't really put the sensors down as a negative.

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to add to my above post, the GT is one of the most fun cars I've owned. Once the minor niggles and someone driving into the back of me were out of the way, I can now say she is sweet, drives and handles so well. Love her to bits!!

Steve

·
Registered
115 Posts
Minor niggles I have is intermittent glow plug error, clanking drivers door check strap and looseish pass door handle...........nothing much like I say, as Stevo says sensors might not be such an issue once you get use to it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi check elec windows drop when you open door then go up when you close them do it several times on both doors.Go on long test drive on motorway and a roads listen for wind noise coming from doors above 80, on A roads listen for noise from front suspension ie knock squeek means either wishbones or role bar .Check all the bills to see whats been done EGR valve is one ,if he has done suspension it should be ok one way to be sure insist on a fresh MOT .

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I dunno aboot the diesel donkey... but apparently water pumps can be a weakness. If yours had a cam-belt at 97k, then it's worth trying to find out if the water pump was changed at the same time.

I had no bother at all with my last 2 Alfas... (145 and 155) though obviously a lot of components are more worn out than they would be if the beast had just 20,000 miles.

Have a look at the suspension, check the brake discs for completely shiny front and back and no wear lip.. try out the gearbox and have a peep at the radiator since the beast probably tramped through a lot of motorway.

If all those a re okay then you won't get any tooooo shocking bills anytime soon.

I don't know about the price/if it's dear or not.. but the beast is getting on 7 yrs old.. so make sure that you're not paying too much.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
115 Posts
EGR won't be an issue if there are no error lights on the dash, althou the first job I did on mine was to remove and give it reet good clean, it wasn't too bad thou if i'm honest.

I don't think the price is bad at all, I never came across many sludgers for less than 4k even with higher mileage.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
"DIESEL DONKEY" Come into the year 2012. A good well looked after diesel engine is good for 200,000 or more.Ive actually seen one running well with over 200,000 miles.Remap a jtd get good performance and the sort of fuel consumption v6 or even 2.2 owners dream about.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I dunno aboot the diesel donkey... but apparently water pumps can be a weakness. If yours had a cam-belt at 97k, then it's worth trying to find out if the water pump was changed at the same time.

Ralf S.
If you could be bothered to read the opening post you would learn that both the cambelt and waterpump were changed at 97k.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
The GFs Fiat Bravo has this engine and is currently on 119k miles. The only non service items changed on the engine were the radiator and recently the alternator. Worth checking these...

Apart from that the engine is still sweet, runs well. Mileage not an issue if correctly maintained, which this one *appears* to be

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Rich_GT

Before you buy, check that each oil change has been done within the stipulated mileage of the previous one. Just one oil change over that limit should be cause for concern. For a diesel, the time is immaterial. You could wait 15 years before changing the oil and no damage would result, but if you were to wait 15000 miles that would be a bad idea! This is because the combustion products from a diesel (essentially soot) are different and not corrosive to metals compared to those from a petrol engine.

With the right oils, a diesel should be good for many miles, and should easily outlast the car. 112k miles will be only the beginning for it. I use Millers XFD fully-synthetic oil myself in my GT JTD nowadays, but there are others as good on the market. XFD is diesel-specific, and is far better for the engine than oils meant for petrol engines. Avoid the latter if you can, and insist on a fully-synthetic version of the former.

If you do a low mileage, then theoretically you can leave the oil change until the mileage is up, and do all the other time-based things (brake fluid changes, cam belt, water pump etc) round it. For a high-mileage car such as the one you have been looking at, that might be the right approach if you don't reach the magic mileage within a year.

Cheers and good luck

OOB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great thanks for your comments im picking her up soon and i will let you know how i get on,

thanks again :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
like any piece of equipment, if it is maintained properlly it will give you years of service.

There is a thread somewhere with mileages, some of the JTD's have very high mileage and are still going strong. From what I belive it is the same engine fitted to saab's 9-3 of simialr year.

Dom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts