Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been talking to a guy who has quoted me £440 to remap my 1.6TS engine. This will include fitting a unichip to the car then remapping it. The company have never remapped the 1.6TS although have remapped V6 alfa's so they have offered to do this on a refund policy if i'm not happy with the gains but will have to pay for there time and effort (£80) which i think is reasonable.

Whats your thoughts guys?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
red dot will do for a lot less and on a re to.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yep 2 or 3 remapping co's that will do it for a lot less than that and poss more experience with Alfas directly.
£440 is s lot!:eek:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
**** me! £440 rip off! Your in Ireland right? Damien C was trying to arrange a remap day I think?

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Cross posting is great aint it:rolleyes:

P.s I thought you were still on those "R" plates and couldnt go more than 40mph:lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Been talking to a guy who has quoted me £440 to remap my 1.6TS engine. This will include fitting a unichip to the car then remapping it. The company have never remapped the 1.6TS although have remapped V6 alfa's so they have offered to do this on a refund policy if i'm not happy with the gains but will have to pay for there time and effort (£80) which i think is reasonable.

Whats your thoughts guys?
I think that sounds like a steal, the Dastek Unichip Management system is £400 ex vat as it is, so if they are going to dyno tune your car with at as well for £440 that's a bargain :thumbs:

Dastek Products - Unichip

You lot above should do a little research before you post :p

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
:eek: -2-

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I think that sounds like a steal, the Dastek Unichip Management system is £400 ex vat as it is, so if they are going to dyno tune your car with at as well for £440 that's a bargain :thumbs:

Dastek Products - Unichip

You lot above should do a little research before you post :p
GD - £440 is expensive from whichever supplier, especially considering the low power gains in real terms on the 1.6. In all honesty he should save around £200 but getting a remap from either angel, reddot or celtic.

Each to their own, but Ive always steered well away from a physical chip and gone down the remapping route.
:)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
if you're planning on doing anything else to the engine as well, you should do that first and get the ECU mapped last of all to make the most out of any other mods you've done ;)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
GD - £440 is expensive from whichever supplier, especially considering the low power gains in real terms on the 1.6. In all honesty he should save around £200 but getting a remap from either angel, reddot or celtic.

Each to their own, but Ive always steered well away from a physical chip and gone down the remapping route.
:)
I disagree, the factory management is conservative at best, products like Dastek, OMAP, Etc. are race proven technologies, but like Rancido said, the mapping is part of the package and should be aligned to the total tuning package i.e last thing you do.

@ OP weight is the enemy in your car, it's a comparatively heavy car for the size of engine so it needs to be worked to get the best out of it, talk to Pud247 (Dan) he has the Dastek Unichip fitted to his car so should be able to give you some idea of real world gains if that's the direction you want to go.

Personally I'll be looking at dyno tuning mine at some stage and may even factor in 3rd party engine management I will still be going quite conservative though, V6 GTA engines are hard to come by don't want to blow mine up :D.

Hunter, I've come to realise that the generic power maps that are provided by Angel et al are just that, a generic map, nothing beats a dyno tune, a generic map might provide more power but who knows what stresses it puts the engine and ancilliaries under.

RELIABLE power is the name of the game.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Interesting :)

Good job Im not thinking of doing anything to the 159.... *halo*

;)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
£440!!! :eek: That's a fair bit more than even more than Autodelta charge for the 1.6!!!

I dont think the unichip is necessary on the car either, a proper remap is fine!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts