Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just got a tasty 2005 156 1.9jtdm veloce from the UK. Car came with 6mths UK road tax. Will I bite the bullet now and pay the crap vrt or will I brazen it out till July? I believe that the emmissions are 175grms co2......

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Also the prices of new cars with high emissions ( all petrol alfas I think ) bought after July 1st will increase due to the Vehicle Regestration Tax also being linked to emissions.

e.g. Alfa 147 1.6
Road Tax will increase from €291 to €1000
The VRT will rise from 25% to 32%

On the up side anyone thinking of turning to the dark side ( Diesel ) will see a reduced road tax & should see a reduction in the list price

e.g. Alfa JTDm
Road Tax will reduce from €539 to €430
The VRT will reduce from 30% to 24%

I've got an Excel Spreadsheet with all cars listed and the changes of Tax & VRT if anyone wants it ( can't attach as it is 1.9Mb )

Hi Dave,

Can you PM me that spreadsheet please?

Ta,

Paul.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's very interesting, but I am still have a question? Pay the duty now, or chance my luck until July??? VRT currently €4800!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's very interesting, but I am still have a question? Pay the duty now, or chance my luck until July??? VRT currently €4800!!
It being a diesel the VRT should come down for it in July and also the Tax BUT they probably will have some checks in place to stop people bringing in cars and storing them for the new rate??

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just got a tasty 2005 156 1.9jtdm veloce from the UK. Car came with 6mths UK road tax. Will I bite the bullet now and pay the crap vrt or will I brazen it out till July? I believe that the emmissions are 175grms co2......
Any pics of your new car btw ???? :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
You seem to be ignoring the fact that it is illegal not to VRT it straight away...? You do know you risk it being seized by customs and excise? If they do they do not give them back, and they do watch out for you and I trying to get away with this!

Seriously, I would think about it, you did not say when you brought it in, but as you have it here already you have been dodging it for a while and another 5 months is a long time to be dodging around trying to hide from them....

·
Registered
519 Posts
I believe that you are probably correct plus the fact that there are plenty of begrudgers out and about! I also have a 97 reg 155. Sadly that is going to cost the guts of €2k to get her as far as the NCT in July...... belts, variator, tyres, brakes etc etc:rolleyes:

·
Registered
698 Posts
As Techie already said, I reckon they will have something in place to try and stop people stashing their cars and waiting until the July tax change..

I brought in two cars last year, but just timed it right so they arrived after January so the VRT had dropped because they were a year "older".

Bummer about the 155, I have a soft spot for them.. have you tried shopping around? Might be worth a trip up to "the Big Smoke" to see Gerry in TI Autos...?

·
Registered
519 Posts
No pics yet. Was going to take some shots today but the weather in Leitrim is doing it's usual stuff. Have a notion to put both cars up for sale. Fancy seeing what interest I can generate for the 156 as Grandons in Cork have/had a 05 156 1.9jtd with 62K on the clock for €25000! And it is only the 115bhp motor!!!! Mine has a whisker under 19000 miles, 7mths warranty left, red leather and 150bhp...:cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
She arrived home last Sunday morning. I won't leave it longer than the end of the month to sort out the vrt. As for the 155, I know Gerry as he has twice before done the belts and a variator. Trouble is belt change is about €800. If I had the tools and a decent garage I'd do the job myself....... maybe a decent project for a young lad with money to spend. 155 has 180000 reliable miles under her belt!

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Can you not just carry on driving the cars with their UK registration plates on, and keep them registered at their UK address?

Loads of Polish cars in the UK, three down my street! (well 2 Polish, 1 Slovakian anyway). They've been here the year I have, they don't have road tax but they don't need to, not sure how it works with MOT/insurance.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Pud,

Believe me, if there was a way around it we would have found it!!

The regulations are:

"Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:

* The vehicle must have been acquired with all the appropriate taxes paid and these must not have been exempted or refunded in any way. The standard registration plates in use in the domestic market of a country are normally accepted as evidence of this.
* The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.
* The vehicle may not be disposed of or hired out in the State or lent to a State resident.
* The period of time that the vehicle is in the State does not exceed 12 months.
* The 12 months time limit will not apply where a person is on a task of definite duration in the State."

There is one way around it, but it is not legal. if (for example) you have a UK address you can leave the car registered in the UK, tax and insure it through the UK and drive it here, claiming you are a visitor.

Problem is if you are caught (and the customs people are not entirely stupid..!) they will take the car and you don't get it back. You may also be prosecuted. And it does happen to people...!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
Band B (121-140 grams per km) - €150.
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - € 600.
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
Band G, the top band - €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km

See RTÉ Business: Motor tax shake-up to hit gas guzzlers

As long as your car is registered in Ireland before 1st July, you are taxed under the existing system. It means my 99 Spider is 590 euro p.a., but under the new system it would be 1000 euro (220g/km) :wow:

So import and register all your Alfas now, you will be screwed if you wait until after July!!

It's a pity that Alfa couldn't knowck a few grams/km off the diesel engines. If they could reduce the 120hp version by 2g/km and the 150hp version by 4g/km the VRT rate would drop by another 4% because it would drop into the lower band.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've been driving Alfas for a good few years now, and I never got the feeling that fuel economy or emissions control were high on the list of priorities with the designers.....:)

I guess that's the price we have to pay for not driving a jap-box...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Doesn't seem right to punish people by way of an annual fixed-rate tax for driving more poluting cars. Someone that does 50,000 miles in a 100g/KM car is far more polluting than someone doing 2,000 miles a year in a Ferrari, but he has to pay so much more :confused:
All what I can say on this is MONEY MONEY MONEY.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yup!

Knee jerk cash cow politics :mad:

If any changes occur it will simply be a carbon :)) ) copy of what is done in the UK...except any scenario that will reduce €€€€ for big Gov.

Green is trendy so lets milk it (just as long as the cows don't fart)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I honestly wouldn't risk it if i was you. A friend of mine had her Celica taken off her a few weeks ago by customs. She couldn't get it back until she paid off the VRT plus a fairly big fine, think it was €2,500 on top of the VRT. :eek:

When i brought over my GTV i was pulled over 3 times in one week and questioned about why i didn't have it registered. Luckily i had the VRT paid and had the new plates sitting on the passenger seat beside me, was just far too lazy to fit them.

Oh and for anybody who needs to renew their tax, the prices are going up from the 1st of Feb. Eg. a 2.0ts will go up from €539 to €590 for the year if you don't get it renewed within the next 10 days.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts