Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As and from 1st July the Motor Tax changes in Ireland mean that the following engines will be taxed at a new rate for new & imported cars:

1.6 TS 120bhp , 194g Co2 = €1000 pa

2.0 TS 211g Co2 = €1000 pa

What do the Alfa Owners in the UK pay for these engines in road tax??

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Doesn't seem right to punish people by way of an annual fixed-rate tax for driving more poluting cars. Someone that does 50,000 miles in a 100g/KM car is far more polluting than someone doing 2,000 miles a year in a Ferrari, but he has to pay so much more :confused:

·
Super Moderator
85,891 Posts
Doesn't seem right to punish people by way of an annual fixed-rate tax for driving more poluting cars. Someone that does 50,000 miles in a 100g/KM car is far more polluting than someone doing 2,000 miles a year in a Ferrari, but he has to pay so much more :confused:
Try telling that to our "Green Government" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Am i right in saying that this only applies to new cars bought from july on and that it wont be applicable to cars already in the system?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something I have always thought. Yeah I drive a 3.2 but at present do about 6000 miles a year, there are prius's doing more mileage and polluting more than me.

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Something I have always thought. Yeah I drive a 3.2 but at present do about 6000 miles a year, there are prius's doing more mileage and polluting more than me.
Exactly. Fuel is expensive enough as it is, but if it wasn't, I'd suggest scrapping road tax and adding it to the cost of fuel, so then cars that use more fuel either due to poor mpg or doing a high annual milage will pay more tax, and those that either do few miles or drive a car with good mpg pay less.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly. Fuel is expensive enough as it is, but if it wasn't, I'd suggest scrapping road tax and adding it to the cost of fuel, so then cars that use more fuel either due to poor mpg or doing a high annual milage will pay more tax, and those that either do few miles or drive a car with good mpg pay less.
Yeah I have said the same, that would be a much fairer way of doing it. As you say though with fuel duty and VAT a large part of that £1 is tax already!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
147 costs £210 per year - not fair when its the same as a Bentley or Cayenne Turbo.

Road tax should be a £20 admin fee to check the insurance and MOT, the duty is on the fuel.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Am i right in saying that this only applies to new cars bought from july on and that it wont be applicable to cars already in the system?
That's right, if you want to get your big polluting car, do it before July! Anything before that is taxed under the old system... good thing for my manky (at the exhaust anyway) spider :thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another thing is that I see a lot of Priuses being driven in an entirely different way to how they are intended to be driven. People think that they've done their bit by just buying the Prius - some don't realise that you've got to drive it reponsibly too! I'm sure it's not very environmentally friendly when it's doing 80mph+.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Governments have always been wary of putting all the tax on fuel as it hits the economy of rural communities the hardest, and they are usually the poorest already, because of their long lines of communication.

From a pollution reduction angle it makes sense however. Tax for the miles you do and not the ones you don't.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
198 Posts
I need to import my Alfa 156 GTA from the U.K.
,registar & tax before this new rate comes into effect,
otherwise it will cost €2000 per aum for the rest of its life.
Its absolutely insane, it means anybody who wishes to
import a modern classic from abroad will now be faced with
unlivable tax costs.

On a side note, at half decent '02-'03 156 GTA with low mileage
imported from the U.K. will cost about 15,000 euro, while
the VRT works out at an incredible €3500, because
the open market selling price for a '02 GTA with 50,000 miles
is apparently €10686 according to ROS.
If any Irish want to get there hands on a GTA, do it before
July, otherwise you will have to deal with this joker...
...its an unregistered '05..... Alfa Romeo 156 3.2 V6 24V GTA (2008) - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
A Gold Star for anybody who can guess the asking price he will
never get!

·
Registered
698 Posts
@ techie
Where can I see the new rates that this wonderful "green government" of ours have planned?
Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
Band B (121-140 grams per km) - €150.
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - € 600.
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
Band G, the top band - €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km

See RTÉ Business: Motor tax shake-up to hit gas guzzlers

As long as your car is registered in Ireland before 1st July, you are taxed under the existing system. It means my 99 Spider is 590 euro p.a., but under the new system it would be 1000 euro (220g/km) :wow:

So import and register all your Alfas now, you will be screwed if you wait until after July!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
Band B (121-140 grams per km) - €150.
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - € 600.
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
Band G, the top band - €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km

See RTÉ Business: Motor tax shake-up to hit gas guzzlers

As long as your car is registered in Ireland before 1st July, you are taxed under the existing system. It means my 99 Spider is 590 euro p.a., but under the new system it would be 1000 euro (220g/km) :wow:

So import and register all your Alfas now, you will be screwed if you wait until after July!!
Two nights ago on the " Last word" on Todayfm they were discussing this and apparently there is lobbying going on at the moment for cars that have been bought before the 1st July deadline that have low emissions to be taxed at the new lower rate.

Is it possible that the Government will reverse their decision and make the new rates mandatory for all cars!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I thought for pre July 08 cars there was some talk of introducing a low / medium / high variation within each band, and having an equivalent variation on the tax?

So my 2.0 Spider would be 590 euro, but as it is "filthy" would carry a high rating within this band....?

At least we can all get really clear information about what is going to happen, as it is only 5 months away...:rolleyes: Sometimes this place really makes you despair.... (Ireland I mean, not AO...!)

·
Super Moderator
85,891 Posts
Also the prices of new cars with high emissions ( all petrol alfas I think ) bought after July 1st will increase due to the Vehicle Regestration Tax also being linked to emissions.

e.g. Alfa 147 1.6
Road Tax will increase from €291 to €1000
The VRT will rise from 25% to 32%

On the up side anyone thinking of turning to the dark side ( Diesel ) will see a reduced road tax & should see a reduction in the list price

e.g. Alfa JTDm
Road Tax will reduce from €539 to €430
The VRT will reduce from 30% to 24%

I've got an Excel Spreadsheet with all cars listed and the changes of Tax & VRT if anyone wants it ( can't attach as it is 1.9Mb )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts