Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
It really seems to be a completely vicious circle - The cars don't sell because they're not known, so people go the old/trusty German way. and they're not known as there are too few around because they don't sell. I actually don't see how the circle can be broken, like, ever.

I've asked this question on Boards a while ago:
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109490333

The basic takeaways are two: The old tired one about pub talk, but also an interesting new one about the cars being TOO EXPENSIVE; The reasoning being that "I can get Audi/BMW/Mercedes for the same money". There isn't a perception that the Giulia and Stelvio are in the same market category as, say, the 3er and X3 respectively; They're seen much more along the lines of a Mondeo/Accord and something like a Kuga or a Sorento. Basically, people think they're cheap cars with a disproportionate price tag attached to them for the "badge effect" (quite hilarious coming from people who dribble over a TDI A4). The motoring press babbling exaggeratedly about "interiors quality" and "rebadged FIATs" has certainly a role in that.

Now, marketing has been good in the rest of the world (Ireland ain't a relevant market afterall), if a bit tone deaf - Alfa/FCA aren't there yet with their knowledge of the environment, as the name "Tonale" proves beyond recognition. In 2019, when a child screaming over a game of Fortnite has more marketing power than a TV ad, people simply won't be impressed at all by sophisticated, visually and aurally complex adverts, regardless of how beautiful they might be. They will go "ooohh aaaaahh" when they see an ******* going "Hey BMW!" and taking his eyes off the road and fixing them on the console screen, turning his finger in the air like a 3-years-old on a sugar rush to turn up the volume of the "unz unz" music.

And yet, that might still not be enough - people often make the comparison to Skoda and how "marketing" brought it from being a peddler of nasty Soviet-style scrap to one of the best selling manufacturers; The truth is that the real "marketing" happening there was that it was acquired by Volkswagen, and people started thinking of the cars are "the same as a VW but cheaper".

One way might be to go back to the basics - make an Alfa Romeo that's "cheap and cheerful"; Fast, lightweight, grippy and cheap. A modern day Alfasud or 33, in principle (but with a different name please, we don't need the "rust" jokes). Make it FWD if needs to be due to costs; It won't pry everyone out of their Octavia, but it might tempt those looking for a bit "more" from that specific segment- especially around continental Europe.

The other possibility - go entirely against the nature of the brand and make what millennials want - an iPad on wheels, with autopilot and whatnot. And lose the "Alfisti" userbase completely :grumpy:

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
April : 4 Alfas

Giulia : 3

Petrol : 2

2 - 2.0 Turbo 200hp or 280hp Veloce : CO2 Band D

Diesel : 1

1 - 2.2 JTD 150bhp or 180bhp : CO2 Band A3

----------

Giulietta : 1

Petrol : 1

1 - 1.4TB 120hp : CO2 Band D

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
3 Giulia registrations/sales:

Petrol : 2 ( 1 AOer's Veloce ;) )
1 - Dublin 2.0 Red
1 - Kildare 2.0 Red

1 - Mayo 2.2 Blue

----------

1 Giulietta registrations/sales:

1 - Dublin 1.4TB, 1 Blue

·
Registered
261 Posts
Only 4 Alfas sold in the month of April... that's not good

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am one of those 4

Hi All,
I brought an Alfa in April. I am very excited and hopefully will get delivery in late June or July.
I am not sure of all the reasons why sales are low but I have to be say, buying an Alfa is not for the faint hearted. You phone up the dealer, he is less than enthusiastic about a test drive, he has no cars available and will have to contact Alfa Ireland. He is not too enthusiastic about Alfa Ireland. The test drive eventually happens and I am smitten. However there are many other hurdles. You have to accept a trade in that is well below market price. ( I am fairly sure, their trade-in partner will make about 8-9 grand from my car). Then you are offered finance at 5.9%. No free service deal and only a 3 year warranty. ( Northern Ireland, 5 year warranty and 3 year free servicing) No discount from list price as well.
This is my first ever new car. I have visions of being chased by car sales people and hammering out a deal. The reality with Alfa was very different. However, I am a sucker for punishment and really excited to be able to call myself an Alfa Owner
Giulia Veloce, Misano Blue

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Welcome to AO & to Alfa ownership, congrats in advance & well wear with your Veloce, great choice of colour :thumbs:

If it was me & the car didn't arrive until late June I'd hold out for registration until July & put it on a 192 plate, especially if keeping it for a few years, if keeping it long term it would be less of an issue for resale/trade value.

PS you aren't one of those 4 if your car isn't already registered ;)

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Hi All,
I brought an Alfa in April. I am very excited and hopefully will get delivery in late June or July.
I am not sure of all the reasons why sales are low but I have to be say, buying an Alfa is not for the faint hearted. You phone up the dealer, he is less than enthusiastic about a test drive, he has no cars available and will have to contact Alfa Ireland. He is not too enthusiastic about Alfa Ireland. The test drive eventually happens and I am smitten. However there are many other hurdles. You have to accept a trade in that is well below market price. ( I am fairly sure, their trade-in partner will make about 8-9 grand from my car). Then you are offered finance at 5.9%. No free service deal and only a 3 year warranty. ( Northern Ireland, 5 year warranty and 3 year free servicing) No discount from list price as well.
This is my first ever new car. I have visions of being chased by car sales people and hammering out a deal. The reality with Alfa was very different. However, I am a sucker for punishment and really excited to be able to call myself an Alfa Owner
Dear god above, Donny that is a shocking example of how not to treat customers. The product is obviously fantastic, for you to have endured that level of sheer incompetence and arrogance, and still to buy. But these parasites that stand between the public and the best car in its class really need a kick up the arse of life. I dare say your servicing experiences will be little better.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Welcome Donny and as has been said already excellent choice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear god above, Donny that is a shocking example of how not to treat customers. The product is obviously fantastic, for you to have endured that level of sheer incompetence and arrogance, and still to buy. But these parasites that stand between the public and the best car in its class really need a kick up the arse of life. I dare say your servicing experiences will be little better.
Thanks for the welcome. I have just been told it will be a July arrival. I will post when I get my hands on it.
Hugh you now have me worried about the servicing. But no worries for a while. Just want to drive it now
Donal

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I have just been told it will be a July arrival. I will post when I get my hands on it.
Hugh you now have me worried about the servicing. But no worries for a while. Just want to drive it now
Donal
It depends on where your based Donal ? There are 2 main dealers in Dublin, who are cack, and 1 service dealer, Pascal Kennedy who is good. And Dan Seaman in Cork who has a good reputation. Thats it. 3 gone since January.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi All,
Hi Donal
Welcome and enjoy your car, they are fantastic,
I'm amazed at how you're dealer experience mirrors mine over 2 years ago. I felt I bought the car despite the best efforts of the dealer and Alfa Ireland. It's as if they don't want to sell or don't know how to.
Although to be fair I did get the Veloce press car for an hour or so. So I know what you have in store for you. As I said, fantastic car, congrats.

Donal

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
May : 4 Alfas

Stelvio : 1

1 - 2.2 JTD 190hp or 210hp : CO2 Band C

----------

Giulia : 2

2 - 2.0 Turbo 200hp : CO2 Band B2

3 - 2.2 JTD 150bhp or 180bhp : CO2 Band A3

----------

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
1 Stelvio registrations/sales:

Diesel: 1
1 - Dublin 2.2 Black

----------

2 Giulia registrations/sales:

1 - Dublin 2.0 Black

1 - Dublin 2.2 Red

----------

1 - Dublin 1.4TB, 1 Black

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
June : 2 Alfas

Stelvio : 1

1 - 2.9 V6 Bi-Turbo 510hp AWD QF : CO2 Band F (?) should be G

----------

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
1 Stelvio registrations/sales:

Petrol: 1

1- Dublin V6 QF Black

----------

Petrol: 1

1 - Kildare 1.4TB Red

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has landed. I am in Love.
192 a veloce , misano blue, what a car.
In fairness to Agnelli, they made the morning very special, had the car in the middle of the showroom under a dust cover.
I was nervous for the big unveil but I shouldn't have been. It really is a beautiful car.
They had a few trinkets for my son Tom but when he saw the licence plate he nearly burst. An Alfa fan for ever.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 116 Posts